University at Buffalo, The State University of New York

getitlow

I was admitted to the History PhD program and invited to the department's admit weekend in the first week of April. The history graduate association will be hosting a conference on that day. It is very likely that I will choose to enroll at Buffalo. If you are admitted to SUNY Buffalo and consider going, please join this thread and get connected! I'm thrilled to get in touch with fellow BU grad students! 

• 1 month later...

I'll be attending the University at Buffalo this coming fall semester.  I plan on moving out there in July (possibly as early as June).  I don't know anyone in Buffalo, so having potential new friends lined up would be awesome!

I'll be attending the University at Buffalo this coming fall semester.  I plan on moving out there in July (possibly as early as June).  I don't know anyone in Buffalo, so having potential new friends lined up would be awesome!

Hi. What program are you doing next fall at UB? It seems to me that a lot of people from UB are on here but not posting (judging by the result research page). I just barely started to look for housing....

Hi. What program are you doing next fall at UB? It seems to me that a lot of people from UB are on here but not posting (judging by the result research page). I just barely started to look for housing....

I'll be pursuing a masters in biostatistics.

I've been skimming craigslist for a few weeks.  It seems like finding housing won't be too terrible; there are literally hundreds of postings every day for all areas.  I'm a little worried, though, because I want to live in Elmwood Village/Allentown/Downtown, and according to apartmentratings.com, most of the property management companies are terrible.  I'm hoping I can luck out and snag a decent place that isn't owned by one of the companies.

But apparently these companies seem to own a lot of good-looking, decent apartments :( those areas you mentioned are where I want to live too. If there is too much rush and I have yet to find housing once the semester approaches, worst comes to worse I will look at the on-campus grad housing.

Do you have a lot of experiences with craiglist? I'm not used to dealing with housing up there at all. Your classes must be taking place at the South campus since you are doing biostatistics, which will help you with a shorter commute distance. I'm doing a PhD in history so most of my classes will be held in Park Hall at North campus. I will have to take the bus from South to North too...

Anyways, great to know you here on gradcafe !

Edited by getitlow

But apparently these companies seem to own a lot of good-looking, decent apartments :( those areas you mentioned are where I want to live too. If there is too much rush and I have yet to find housing once the semester approaches, worst comes to worse I will look at the on-campus grad housing.

Do you have a lot of experiences with craiglist? I'm not used to dealing with housing up there at all. Your classes must be taking place at the South campus since you are doing biostatistics, which will help you with a shorter commute distance. I'm doing a PhD in history so most of my classes will be held in Park Hall at North campus. I will have to take the bus from South to North too...

Anyways, great to know you here on gradcafe !

Yeah, but despite how nice they look, i'm still skeptical.  I'll be driving out to Buffalo near the end of may for some showings.  I have no experience with craigslist, which is why I'm going to make a weekend out of it.  Go out, check out a bunch of apartments as well as some extracurriculars (gyms and stuff).  Hopefully I'll be able to find something nice; I'd rather find a place I can stay for two years instead of having to move again in a year.

Yeah, I think most if not all of my classes will be on South Campus.  I'm going to have a car, but I'm planning on doing public transportation as much as possible; I think it'll just be easier that way.  I've heard the bus from South to North is pretty constant (multiple times per hour), so it shouldn't be too much of a hassle for you.  And hey, it'll give you more time to do reading.

• 3 weeks later...

that's really nice if you can drive to Buffalo. I've been to downtown during the visit weekend and I totally loved it. It's a very historic city and it provides a history buff like me with everything. Public transportation is not too bad either. You can easily get to campus with the metro train and UB stampede. 

On a side note, I still haven't settled down with the housing issue. There are apparently too many options and I'm clueless about the real quality of these housing ads. We have a thread of Buffalo in the "city" session on this forum. Maybe you can get some useful information from there. 

• 4 weeks later...

I'm in the process of applying for UB's Transportation Engineering program for the Spring 2014 session. The posts above are quite insightful for someone  like me, who's in a far off land. Fingers crossed, if i'm admitted, this thread will probably provide a good way to weigh out whether I want to join UB or decide to go elsewhere.

• 4 weeks later...

I cross posted this in the city thread too, hoping more eyes will get me an answer.

Does anyone know if UB has any sort of public transportation discount?  On the NFTA website, they talk about Buff State, Cannesius and a couple other schools offering unlimited bus services throughout the city.  I checked out UB's student transportation fee and it seems like all that money goes toward Stampede and intra campus transportation, which I couldn't care less about.  I'm asking because I'm going to be living on main street about two and a half miles from campus.  Since I'm right on a bus line, I figured I'd take the bus a lot.  But not if the fares are more expensive than driving.

I'm in the process of applying for UB's Transportation Engineering program for the Spring 2014 session. The posts above are quite insightful for someone  like me, who's in a far off land. Fingers crossed, if i'm admitted, this thread will probably provide a good way to weigh out whether I want to join UB or decide to go elsewhere.

From what I know, they have quite an impressive engineering program. I think their best ranked one was civil engineering. 

I'm also curious about public transportation discount too. I heard from my fellow program-mates that UB used to distribute free monthly pass for the metro rail and bus in large amount for the first 200 or 300 students who needed those. I have no single clue whether that program is still running or is discontinued. I'm biking next year because I will be living in Amherst so I guess I don't have to worry much about using public transportation except when doing grocery-shopping or chilling in another parts of the city. 

From what I know, they have quite an impressive engineering program. I think their best ranked one was civil engineering. 

I'm also curious about public transportation discount too. I heard from my fellow program-mates that UB used to distribute free monthly pass for the metro rail and bus in large amount for the first 200 or 300 students who needed those. I have no single clue whether that program is still running or is discontinued. I'm biking next year because I will be living in Amherst so I guess I don't have to worry much about using public transportation except when doing grocery-shopping or chilling in another parts of the city. 

Thank you, getitlow.

But I've actually dropped UB from my list of potential uni's. They do not offer any funding for Spring applicants.

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone. I am admitted into M.Sc. program in Computer Science and Engineering here. I am looking for a roomhate now. If anyone is also looking for a place to stay, please contact me. This way we can rent a better place and share it together.

Thank you

• 7 months later...

Hi everyone

I've been admitted to Computer Science and Engineering Ph.D. Program at UB for Fall 2014. I am from Iran and I don't have funding at the moment. I am planning to finance my education by myself for first semester, hoping that I receive funding for following semesters. I was wondering how much is it affordable to live without funding? I also want to know that how much can I count on getting TA/RA in following semesters (or even from first semester,or at least a tuition waive)? Other than that, is it possible to make living on a job as a student in Buffalo? I'd be thankful if anybody could answer these.

Thanks

Edited by MeiT