Negotiation Advice

Hi folks, just wondering if people have advice on negotiating to get aid offers increased. Questions for discussion:

1) Should you do it once you have a competing offer or once you have all your offers?

2) Is it better to get a word in early or wait until it's closer to April 15 and they know whether people are coming or not?

3) Does one call or email?

4) Assuming no specific POI, does one contact the admissions coordinator who emailed the decision or the dean who signed the admit letter?

Best of luck to all!

So I spoke with a friend of mine who went through the law school version of this.  He told me that it's common for students to pull this move.  For example I told him I got in to CMU with a solid scholarship offer and that I got into GW with no scholarship at all. He pointed out that if there's a difference between school rankings that's pretty large (top 10 school v. #20) it's totally normal to have a discussion along the lines of "I'd really like to come to your school for reasons A, B, C, but the money is important and I'm staring at several competative options, can you do any better for me? He advised to honestly keeping it limited to your top choice (2 at THE MOST). It's still a low percentage shot, but worth the conversation.

This forum is littered with threads on this question, most of which (that I've seen) end in rejection by the school.  Maybe people are successful, but they don't seem to be posting on here about it if they are.

From NYU's Financial Aid Resources page: "NYU Wagner will not consider merit funding appeal requests or requests to match financial aid awards from other graduate institutions."

That's the only school I've seen though that pre-emptively shuts down funding negotiations.

It depends on the school and there's no right answer to any of these questions. Once you're accepted, they won't rescind the acceptance, but there's no guarantee that they'll budge. That being said, if they really want you, they'll bend over backwards to show it, and funding may materialize. It's probably easier with another monetary offer in hand, but at least in my book, it can't hurt to try regardless of what your status is. Earlier is probably better; there may be limited funds available for flexibility and the longer you wait, the more the admissions officer will be fatigued from having received similar requests. I'd recommend calling within a week or two after receiving acceptance. If you have to email, perhaps email asking for contact information for a rep to talk to to answer some additional questions. If you're in the same city, you may even consider trying to meet in person.

So I spoke with a friend of mine who went through the law school version of this.  He told me that it's common for students to pull this move.  For example I told him I got in to CMU with a solid scholarship offer and that I got into GW with no scholarship at all. He pointed out that if there's a difference between school rankings that's pretty large (top 10 school v. #20) it's totally normal to have a discussion along the lines of "I'd really like to come to your school for reasons A, B, C, but the money is important and I'm staring at several competative options, can you do any better for me? He advised to honestly keeping it limited to your top choice (2 at THE MOST). It's still a low percentage shot, but worth the conversation.

Thanks Reasonablyterrified! What do you mean keep it limited to your top choice? Like only try to negotiate with your top 1 or 2? Or only reference the offer of your top 1 or 2 other choices?

Also, I don't know whether you guys discussed whether it's better to call or email. The financial aid letter said email X if you have any questions, so would it be pushy or otherwise bad to call the person?

Thanks again!

• 4 weeks later...

Just wanted to leave an update for future applicants: I asked a few weeks ago through email and they said they wouldn't know for a few weeks. I went to admitted students day and got advice from current students on negotiation. Then I emailed again saying what a great fit I thought I was and how much I wanted to go, and how much I was willing to take out in loans, and how much I would be paying at my second choice (less.) They emailed me back giving me a decision extension and saying they would let me know in about 2 weeks. They ended up offering me $25k + an assistantship over the original $10k no RAship.

I saw a quote the other day on women's pay that I think sums it all up well "You don't get paid what you deserve, you get what you ask for." Get it girls!