I need your help - MPH Questions

Greystone

Hello everyone. Been lurking for a bit and it seems that most conversation here is in regards to specific programs (congrats to all that have been accepted!). However, I have a few general questions regarding the MPH:

1.) CEPH accredited school vs program. I know the advantage of going to a SoPH would be additional resources and a greater focus on public health itself (rather than say a school of medicine with a PH program). But, in terms of employment, is going to say, BU, going to given you a considerable advantage over going to say, Tufts? 

2.) I've seen the MPH program often referred to as a professional, terminal degree. And yet it seems that most sources say to hold the highest positions in PH, you'll likely need a PhD or DrPH...so why is the MPH sometimes described as a terminal degree?

3.) How well does an MPH stand on its own? I've been discouraged to see that many people with an MPH also hold a doctoral degree. Does a person with only an MPH really have a shot at holding the highest positions in a municipal or state health department, just as an example? Or any other PH roles? 

3a.) For those of you with only an MPH and not a doctoral degree...what do you do for a living? Do you feel that you're limited in you're ability to "move up" without an advanced degree? 

I know PH is a broad field with many opportunities, and these questions are rather broad as well, but any insight would be great! Thanks.

All fabulous questions. It feels like many med schools schools with mph programs (BU chief among them) use the degree to generate revenue. That being said, I got my mph from an excellent state school with a fairly new mph program and I currently have an offer for a phd program in epidemiology and a full time offer for a job in health education and community health. So it's certainly what you make of it

Hello everyone. Been lurking for a bit and it seems that most conversation here is in regards to specific programs (congrats to all that have been accepted!). However, I have a few general questions regarding the MPH:

1.) CEPH accredited school vs program. I know the advantage of going to a SoPH would be additional resources and a greater focus on public health itself (rather than say a school of medicine with a PH program). But, in terms of employment, is going to say, BU, going to given you a considerable advantage over going to say, Tufts?

CEPH accredited and SoPH's are the same (there are non SoPH, depts of PH that are CEPH accredited) I think the advantage is just knowing that your program went through some certification process, and there is some kind of regulations. Could also be important if you want a job with APHA or some state/local governments require a degree from a CEPH accredited program. 

2.) I've seen the MPH program often referred to as a professional, terminal degree. And yet it seems that most sources say to hold the highest positions in PH, you'll likely need a PhD or DrPH...so why is the MPH sometimes described as a terminal degree?

The MPH is a terminal degree, there is plenty you can do with it. Most people in my MPH program plan to go no further with schooling. I think generally people with the highest positions have a DrPH or PhD because it makes you more competitive but its not a requirement. If you want to be a director in the CDC you'll need a PhD or DrPH but if you want to run an organization, be a director in a dept of public health experience will also get you there. If you want a career in academia or research you'll need a doctorate at some point but it really just depends on what you want to do. 

3.) How well does an MPH stand on its own? I've been discouraged to see that many people with an MPH also hold a doctoral degree. Does a person with only an MPH really have a shot at holding the highest positions in a municipal or state health department, just as an example? Or any other PH roles? 

Again it really depends on what you want to do. I've seen a lot of heads of dept of public health be MD/MPH I think because they are looking for that clinical experience but there are a ton of people that are leading organizations with the MPH

3a.) For those of you with only an MPH and not a doctoral degree...what do you do for a living? Do you feel that you're limited in you're ability to "move up" without an advanced degree? 

I have an MPH (I'm applying to doctoral programs) but I work as a research assistant. I'm going back to school because I want to be an independent researcher but I would definitely be able to advance myself if I didn't get a doctoral degree. Lots of people in global health have MPHs and no PhD because they spend tons of time working in the field, honestly is just depends on what kind of career you want. 

I know PH is a broad field with many opportunities, and these questions are rather broad as well, but any insight would be great! Thanks.