Waiting on Money News - When to Email?

Vicki

I posted this under the Bank section, but perhaps it's better here:

I'm in the midst of trying to make up my mind, and unfortunately, funding is a huge part of that decision. I've found myself in a situation where I'm apparently wanted by the program, but I'm sick of waiting for the official news! Here's what's going on:

1. About 10 days ago, the Director of Grad Studies emailed me, saying that they'd nominated me for a fellowship. He told me he'd let me know within the week whether they were able to secure that for me. (He has not emailed me since then).

2. I met up with a different faculty member this past weekend at a conference (8th/9th), and among other things, we discussed my hesitation at accepting their offer because I was still waiting on the fellowship news. At her urging, I also told her that I had another very competitive offer on the table, but I was hoping that I would get the fellowship at their school, and if so, I'd most likely be accepting their offer. She said she'd bring that news back to the Director of Grad Studies, and if this particular fellowship didn't work out, they'd "find a way to be competitive." She said over and over again how much they want me there and that they would do what is necessary to get me to come to their department.

So my question is, when should I follow-up? I'm going crazy just waiting, but I don't want to appear annoying!

Thanks!