help interpreting...please?

stella

I hate to be obnoxious because I realize that, generally, it means something good, but I know a lot of you are more savvy than I am regarding this whole process, so I thought it wouldn't hurt to tap this fabulous resource one more time...

I received this message in response to a status check email that I sent:

"Sorry it took so long to get back! I was out of the office. You're in the top

tier for consideration of admission and a teaching assistantship. I'll contact

the director and get back with you. Next week is spring break so it might

take a few days"

Does this mean-

a) they haven't made decisions yet, but it looks good.

B) they've made decisions, and I'm close to the top of the waitlist.

Thanks so much for your insight. I hope everyone's Friday 13th has been as unexpectedly eventful as mine has.

:)

"Sorry it took so long to get back! I was out of the office. You're in the top

tier for consideration of admission and a teaching assistantship. I'll contact

the director and get back with you. Next week is spring break so it might

take a few days"

This probably means that they haven't made a final decision yet but when it will be made, there's a very bright chance that you'd be admitted. Relax and wait..hopefully it should be good news. Good luck!

As for my Friday the 13th, I received an acceptance email from a university (which had initially outright rejected me :P), with a five year departmental fellowship (RA and TA combinations). Long story.

As for my Friday the 13th, I received an acceptance email from a university (which had initially outright rejected me :P), with a five year departmental fellowship (RA and TA combinations). Long story.

how does that even happen?! do tell (if it's not too personal, etc.)

congrats to both you dudes!

This probably means that they haven't made a final decision yet but when it will be made, there's a very bright chance that you'd be admitted. Relax and wait..hopefully it should be good news. Good luck!

I've got all night. I love long stories with happy endings. Pray, do tell.

A few professors who saw my application were very interested in my background as they did work that required a certain kind of expertise that I happened to have due to my previous research work in pretty similar areas and I'd also published as first author on a topic that they found quite interesting. So they interviewed me via skype and probably found that I was good enough for their purposes and then decided to re nominate me for the departmental fellowships but the deal here was that one of the profs would now fund me for two years out of his own research grants while the dept pays for the remaining 3 years. So out of this 5 year departmental fellowship title that they claim to have awarded me, I think 2 years out of those is purely from the research grants of that professor. So that's the story. I had established contact with this professor many months back and had written to him asking about some other research interest of mine but he took a look at my CV and asked me if I would mind working on his kind of research and I found it quite alright and agreed. So that helped as well. He then wrote to me saying that I had been rejected at the first instance but that he could support me through his research grants if I wished. That was how this was taken forward from there. So though this is under the name "departmental fellowship", some of my activities are bound to be restricted due to the source of a good chunk of that funding, which is the prof's research grants. So I will be expected to work on those projects. So the remaining students of the dept probably have a better deal than I do, but what the heck, I was rejected and they got me back up and those projects are pretty interesting as well! So I'm not complaining ;)

Now I need help with choosing between Ohio State University Psychology and Northwestern Linguistics. That's the difficult part. Assuming that research interests fit more or less equally at both places, what would you guys have done in my place?

Oh, and my vote is for Northwestern Linguistics, but this is solely based on the fact I had a friend that would have given his first born to get accepted to that program....sorry it's not more helpful.... :roll:

I love that program too but the Northwestern stipend is not sufficient to support two people on it :( I plan to take my spouse with me and I'd be supporting her too on just this stipend. She would be on a F2 visa and would not allowed to work in the US. The stipend of $20.5K in Chicago before taxes is just cutting it too close. (That's about $1500 pm after taxes. A 1BR apartment costs $800-900 in the cheaper areas. We'd be left with $500-600 for our monthly expenses which is crazy). Its a real pity.. I am greatly drawn to their program, its a really good one and perfectly tailored to my interests too :(