Post-Bacc Programs vs. Schools Without Prerequisites?

Hello, everyone!  As you all bask in the glow of your recent acceptances and await your next round of offers (I'm rooting for you all!), I'm hoping you out-of-fielders wouldn't mind sharing your experiences with a newbie... 

Like several others on these boards, I only recently stumbled upon the wonderful profession of SLP, and the moment I began researching the field of SLP, everything clicked into place... It's truly everything I've been looking for in a career!  I hope to apply for the Fall 2014 cycle.  I've been poring over the forums (you all are so helpful!) and swimming in Google searches, but I feel lost in the deep end trying to decide where to start!  What's the best route into SLP if you're starting out-of-field?  What was your own experience?  In particular:

1.) If you chose to complete a post-bacc before/while applying, why did you decide to do so?  Which program did you choose, how long did it take, and how did you choose that program?  And if you don't mind my asking, what was the damage ($)?  Are you glad you chose this route? Rinse and repeat those same questions if you chose to complete a leveling year. 

2.) If you decided to apply for programs few to no prerequisites, which schools did you consider and/or apply to?  What was your major as an undergrad, and how did you gain experience in the field?  Are you glad you chose this route?  If you've already begun your program, do you feel prepared and on par with your peers?  Is there a bucket list out there of schools with limited or no prerequisites?

3.) This question is unrelated, but it seems like programs tend to be geared toward clinical/hospital settings or school settings.  I am most interested in working in schools (or potentially early intervention)--is there a bucket list out there of the best programs for this focus?

I have some momentum launching me into the field--a high undergrad GPA, strong testing abilities (so, ideally, a good GRE score), and two years of experience working with deaf children in India and Nepal.  I'm looking into opportunities to shadow local SLPs, and there is a wonderful deaf school in my community where I hope to begin volunteering.  What else can I do to learn more about the field, prepare myself for a Master's Program, and/or strengthen my application?  

Phew, I hope this doesn't feel like another round of essays!  I'm so appreciative of any guidance you all can provide.  :)

Edited by katie-bird

1.) If you chose to complete a post-bacc before/while applying, why did you decide to do so?  Which program did you choose, how long did it take, and how did you choose that program?  And if you don't mind my asking, what was the damage ($)?  Are you glad you chose this route? Rinse and repeat those same questions if you chose to complete a leveling year. 

I am currently in a PB program, and I've also applied for this upcoming fall 2013 semester. Honestly, I chose this route because I was unaware of a different option. It has worked out great for me though, and I have no issues with it. My program is one year long (fall, spring, and summer) and I chose it because  it's where I got my Bachelor's. I knew some of the professors before hand and I feel comfortable here. The cost was the same as undergraduate credit hours, which I believe costs me about $6-7K

Since I don't have any in-state post-bacc programs, I chose to pursue just the leveling courses, aka, pre-requisites. I have ended up with more debt than I thought, simply because I didn't know where to start looking to take the pre-req courses for the least amount of money, and I stumbled into SLP late last spring, too late for the one in-state option I could have done- by the time I contacted the program to see if I could get into the classes, they had 140 on the waiting list so I had to look out of state. I was not on on these forums at the time and had to navigate it on my own, so I found Longwood U in Virginia, and each course with them out of state has been about 1900. Totally more than I wanted to spend, but I didn't know about many other options that would have been cheaper. You are in the right place! Here is what I have found that might help:

Utah State. You can do the second bacc program, or you can apply as a non-degree student (free app) and just take the leveling classes required by the places you want to apply. Most programs have the list of pre-reqs they want, so it might be cheaper. It is around 800 a class, not too bad! Plus, it seems that most of the classes in the post-bacc program are available every semester, and I think you can take up to 5 at one time, which is awesome. You WILL need observation hours, even as an out-of-field student, some will make them up in the fall upon enrolling or in the summer prior, but most require them to be completed prior to enrolling in the fall. Some require observation hrs for course credit. USU is the only school I have found that offers obs hours for credit via the online method. I am lucky in that my program this fall requires the hours but they don't have to be for credit, so I can save the extra 5-600 that the credit would cost. It looks Ike exams have to be proctored.

University of Alaska at Anchorage. They offer the specific pre-reqs that ECU requires, and these are similar to most other schools. Around 800 per course. Apply as a non-degree student (free app), and check the course sequence schedule, because not all classes are offered every semester.

Vermont. Online program as well. They don't have all of the pre-reqs on the list for places I applied, but their program is one to consider.

Longwood. Love the classes I have been taking, if you can swing the cost of out of state tuition. It is in Virginia. There are ways to get in state tuition but I cannot. Exams are usually on your honor, and some are even open book because the material is so extensive and the content being tested is vast. I have enjoyed my profs thus far, too. I mostly functions through blackboard, but it is totally self-driven learning. That freedom can be very good for some people. After three semesters, I am tiring of having to motivate myself with courses that don't have work due every day but with big assignments and tests, but that also has been great since I work full-time. The assignments we do cover a lot of material and content, so I do feel like I am learning what I need to know. I wouldn't suggest more than 2 courses per semester if you are also working full time.

I would suggest making a spreadsheet of all of the schools you are interested in applying, what pre-reqs they require, and then apply to the programs that are the most affordable as far as the number of courses you take before, as well as the programs that you are willing to take what they require because you like them so much. I found that some programs do seem to focus more on school vs. medical, but you will get a well-rounded education in all programs. Look at faculty research interests, grant funding for research projects, how many semesters the program is, and the set up of your clinical hours. Some programs spread out the clinicals with the courses and you dive into clinicals right away. Others give you a semester to get settled in your coursework, then start on clinical rotation.

The program where I am going this Fall. ECU, the entire last semester is the full-time internship with no other classes (except for the thesis option I am taking). Each program has similar course sequencing, but the load of the courses versus your internship might change your mind on the program. Some people coming from their undergrad in CSD might be totally ready to jump into a part-time internship the first semester, and I would not be.

If you want the thesis option that most programs offer (some might require), check to see if there are profs that do what you think you are interested in writing about and researching. I have a list of about five topics right now simply because I wanted to start somewhere but I know the first semester of study will help me narrow that down). Some programs require comps (comprehensive exams) at the end. Some will let your passing the Praxis replace the comp requirement. Another thing to consider, if you are interested in not having the comp during your last semester.

As you research, you will find several schools that may be more geared towards out of field students, in that their list of pre-reqs is not as long. Some programs want that heavy CSD background from an undergraduate degree so their list of pre-reqs is extensive. Some programs are three years for out of field students, so you don't take ANY before you apply, while others make you start the summer prior so you enter with the other in field students in the fall right on the same pace.

Do look at the cost of the program. GAships might be available to help with cost at some universities, but how commonly are they awarded to SLP students is something to ask about. If you know you don't want the expensive program cost, take that into consideration when you choose where to apply. No sense in wasting an app fee if you wouldn't go if you got in, just my $0.02.

It would be difficult for me to give you a list of schools to consider, but the places I applied are all in my signature below. Depending on your geographic preferences, you may want to look into them. Feel free to ask questions about any program in particular!

Just in case no one else says this- make sure you only apply to ASHA certified programs. You can find out what programs are certified, what areas of research they have, etc, on ASHA.org and look for EdFind. You can search by state, online, offering a PhD, etc... Have fun, and good luck! Come back with questions! I wish I had found the grad cafe earlier last spring when I started on this journey. Hopefully someone else can learn something from my experiences!

Edited by kcald716

Hello katie-bird,

The above poster has done an awesome job answering some of your questions but maybe my experience can help as well...

I am currently enrolled in the Kean University Pre-Professional Program. Kean is in Union, NJ but also offers a distance learning option. I started in the fall and will be finished in the summer, although I could have been finished after the spring semester had I not chosen to take a non-matriculated grad course this semester and take one of my pre-reqs in the summer. The program costs about $6k a semester for in-state students and I think the rate is higher for out-of-state.

Last year I applied to two grad schools in NJ figuring I would have no problem getting in and I was WAY wrong. I had very little knowledge of the field and no clue how competitive grad schools were. After getting rejected at both places I applied to this pre-professional program because I really didn't know what else to do. Thankfully I got in because I have had/am having an awesome experience.

You definitely have a huge advantage knowing this early that you'll be applying to grad school next year (assuming you do your pre-reqs somewhere in the meantime). Plenty of time to get some good experience and to craft some great personal statements. When I met with my advisor in August before I started any of my pre-reqs she told me, "Start writing your personal statement TONIGHT," which was actually very intimidating haha, but she was right. I started writing it months in advance and at times I felt totally lost and absolutely sure there was no way I could write something that could make me stand out from anyone else. But, having so much time to brainstorm and revise, I eventually got some really good ideas and wrote some pretty good ones. This will be a huge part of your application because so many people have the stats but not everyone can write stand-out essays. It can be a huge plus.

In terms of experience, the more you can do the better. I had about 3 years working with kids with developmental disabilities before I even started on this path. Last fall, I got an internship at a multi-disciplinary child therapy center and observed an SLP who worked mostly with children with speech-sound delays. While it's good to have direction as to what area of the field you are interested, I think some schools also want to see that you're open to other things as well. I've heard a lot of professors say that almost everyone comes into grad school thinking they want to work with kids and many people are eventually drawn in a completely different direction.

Unfortunately I don't have very much knowledge on specific schools. I am only familiar with the ones in my area.

Please let me know if you have any other questions, I'd be happy to chat!

I did a leveling year at Metropolitan State University in Denver. I am currently enrolled in my second semester there; I also took chemistry (physical science) and statistic classes at a community college last summer which are two non-SLP courses required for certification. I have learned a ton in my classes, and my professors are great. But if I had it to do all over, I would have applied to a school that offers a 3 year master's program for a few reasons:

1. The stress of applying to grad schools combined with not knowing whether I would get in,  or if all my hard work would be for nothing constantly occupied my mind over this school year. Not to mention the steep learning curve when I first started taking Speech Language and Hearing Sciences coursework without a background.

2. It was hard to get into classes. The juniors and seniors (degree-seeking students) had first chance to register for classes, so sometimes classes were full by the time I could registered. I was waitlisted for 3 of the 4 classes I wanted to take my first semester. Since I couldn't get into one of those classes, the next semester I didn't have that pre-req that I needed for another class I wanted to take. Out of the 8 classes I wanted to take, I ended up being able to take 7 this year. Even at that, I had to get special permission to take 1 course concurrently with its prerequisite.

3. You really need to know what grad schools you want to apply to, anyway, when you decide to taking leveling classes, to know which courses you need to take.

When I first decided to pursue a master's in SLP, I thought it would be nearly impossible to be accepted without any background in SLP. With all I've learned in the past year, I think if you have a great undergrad GPA, excellent GRE scores, and interesting and related experience, you have a good chance at admission even being out of field.

I don't know of any programs that don't require out-of-field applicants to take additional undergrad classes to catch up, but I only researched schools in my area since relocation was not an option. If I had it to do over again, I would have applied to a 3 year program, so that I wouldn't have felt so up-in-the-air wondering if taking all these classes would be worth it. 

"2.) If you decided to apply for programs few to no prerequisites, which schools did you consider and/or apply to?  What was your major as an undergrad, and how did you gain experience in the field?  Are you glad you chose this route?  If you've already begun your program, do you feel prepared and on par with your peers?  Is there a bucket list out there of schools with limited or no prerequisites?"

This is what I'm doing, and due to my needing to find schools that take students with no prereqs plus my location preferences, it's the main reason why I applied to just two programs.

I majored in English as an undergrad, and I don't have experience in the field per se; however, I have experience tutoring children and adults, working as a preschool teacher, and caring for a family member with aphasia.

Personally I prefer taking classes in-person, so distance education for prereqs wasn't much of an option for me. I think it's better that I've opted for programs with an on-campus three-year track.

As for schools that take out-of-fielders with no experience, there are quite a few. I haven't seen a comprehensive list (though we should start one!), but your options aren't too limited if you decide to apply as someone without prereqs.

ETA: "If I had it to do over again, I would have applied to a 3 year program, so that I wouldn't have felt so up-in-the-air wondering if taking all these classes would be worth it."

Yes, that's another big reason why I decided to go the no-prereq route.

Edited by midnight streetlight

Appalachian State, UNC-Greensboro, USC all do a 2.5 to 3-year program for those coming in with no prior coursework.  

UNC-G prefers that you enroll as a non-degree student and do your courses ahead of time simply because there are so many, but they do reserve spots for students to start and matriculate with the following year's in-field entering class. 

ECU has an online pre-req program you must email Dr. Cox by March 1st (9am) if you want in, and if you get a spot she'll let you know to apply as a non-degree student which costs $70 just to apply, so don't apply unless she tells you that you got a spot).  

UNC-CH pretty much won't look at your application unless you have the majority if your pre-reqs completed by the time you apply due to the competitiveness of all of the applicants.  So I'd load pre-reqs into the summer/fall if at all possible for an application to UNC-CH.  

Longwood U requires pre-reqs to apply as far as I know, but they also offer all of theirs online and apparently VA in-state rates are really good because out-of-state rates are about 630 per credit! 

I applied to a few grad schools last year, but didn't realize quite how competitive the process is and ended up not getting in anywhere. Your experience may be different than mine because I only had a so-so undergrad GPA, though I did/do have killer GRE scores and excellent letters of recommendation. If you feel like you can get into schools without taking any more classes, and have other things going on right now, go ahead and try. But it didn't work out that way for me.

I ended up doing the post-bacc program at Portland State University, and I've loved it so far. Personally I feel like I get a lot more out of in-person classes than online, and PSU's post-bacc program is all in-person. They make sure you actually get into the classes you came here to take, giving you second registration priority after seniors. This is completely different from many other schools I looked at without a dedicated post-bacc program, where you had very last pick in signing up for classes, and it seemed like it would be a lot harder to get everything done within a year.

I know a lot of schools say they only require about 5 classes as pre-reqs, but by the time I've finished at PSU I'll have taken 11 or 12 classes (I'm still deciding whether I want/need one of the classes I signed up for for spring term), each of which feels like they have been worthwhile. It's a quarter system (fall, winter, spring) so I've been taking four classes a quarter. At this point, I can't imagine starting grad school with only some of the classes I've taken, I feel like I've been prepared here really well.

Edited by srh

I agree with a lot of what the above poster has said. I also had an underwhelming undergrad GPA and needed to do really well in my SLP prereqs to have a shot. I also feel that I got way more out of taking my classes in person. There was one prereq that I needed to take online because it wasn't being offered last semester in person and it was not a good experience. I didn't feel like the professor was putting much into the class and I definitely did not get from it what I got from my other classes, despite doing pretty well in the class itself. Also, I did not run into very much difficulty taking the classes I needed to take because my post-bac/pre-professional program gives priority to students in the program. I would assume most post-bac programs like this are designed to give you the opportunity to complete all your prereqs in a year.

i applied this year with none of the prereqs and limited background (i shadowed/was a research assistant for an slp last summer but that was it) so it's definitely possible. feel free to PM me if you have further questions!

If you have a high GPA (3.8+) from what I have been told and shadowed a slp or have other similar experience with the field you can have a good shot at getting in a 3 year program. I'm a Psychology major with a 3.89 GPA (3.86 at some schools since I sent my transcript early) and took a few pre-req courses during my undergrad and got A's in them. I also shadowed a speech pathologist and had a year of autism treatment research with a School Psychology professor, which can easily cross over to come in handy in the slp field. I think these things really helped me to get accepted or wait listed and not fully rejected from my schools. If you could somehow manage to take one or two slp classes before you apply and shadow a slp and possibly have them write you a LOR I think these things will really put you ahead of others in your situation.

Wow!  Thank you, everyone, for such thorough/helpful responses.  Based on your responses, I'm going to take the middle way... With Gallaudet's five SLP prerequisites as my gold standard, I'll be looking for programs with these five prerequisites or fewer.  (There's not a lot of talk on here about Gallaudet--are there just very few people interested in working specifically in the Deaf community?  Or did you folks apply elsewhere?)  Taking at least a few leveling classes seems like it'd be valuable exposure to the field, wouldn't be an enormously huge expense, and would set me up to complete a more thorough post-bacc should I not get into any programs next cycle.  Since I'd have to move in order to take leveling classes in person (though I'd much rather take them in person), I'll likely take them at Utah State University as a non-degree student... From everything everyone's said, it seems like the best choice for on-line classes!  Thanks for the great advice, everyone!

midnight streetlight, I love the idea of compiling a list of programs that don't require prerequisites.  Once I aggregate all this on-line research, I'll post my findings!

kcald716, so nice to see another North Carolinian on the forums!  I'm originally from Boone, and just moved out to California a year ago... Do you know much about App State's program?  My sister is an ASU alum (and has heard good things about their SLP program), and my mom actually went to ASU's SLPs after a major brain surgery. How did you end up deciding against it?

It wasn't really a decision against App or Western, it was a decision FOR East Carolina.  I looked at course sequences, clinical / internship schedule, professors with my research interests (for an eventual thesis), etc.  Plus, I own a townhouse 25 mins from ECU, and us moving back to that house actually saves us quite a bit of money, even with the scholarship / package offered at Western, whose program sequence is admittedly very similar to ECU.  App State when I visited only had an adjunct instructor who covered the area of neurogenic disorders and aphasia, and was looking for a full professor, but since they would then only have basically 1.5 profs that are even interested in that area, I was unsure if I would be able to pursue one of my research interests/thesis interests there.  There were a lot of factors at play in the decision, but ultimately personal factors took a big role over academic factors. 

I completed a post-bacc at my local university. I came into SLP through an Education and Linguistics background.  It took me a few years of substitute teaching for me to realize whole-classroom teaching wasn't the best fit for me.

katie-bird, I would strongly recommend taking some courses before applying.  As I mentioned, I came to SLP from Education and Linguistics.  While there was some overlap, there was a lot of information I learned in my post-bacc that  was not covered in my previous courses of study.  At the very least, you will be familiar with at least one specific program, their faculty, and will be able to make professional contacts for those Letters of Recommendation.

• 10 months later...

I did a leveling year at Metropolitan State University in Denver. I am currently enrolled in my second semester there; I also took chemistry (physical science) and statistic classes at a community college last summer which are two non-SLP courses required for certification. I have learned a ton in my classes, and my professors are great. But if I had it to do all over, I would have applied to a school that offers a 3 year master's program for a few reasons:

1. The stress of applying to grad schools combined with not knowing whether I would get in,  or if all my hard work would be for nothing constantly occupied my mind over this school year. Not to mention the steep learning curve when I first started taking Speech Language and Hearing Sciences coursework without a background.

2. It was hard to get into classes. The juniors and seniors (degree-seeking students) had first chance to register for classes, so sometimes classes were full by the time I could registered. I was waitlisted for 3 of the 4 classes I wanted to take my first semester. Since I couldn't get into one of those classes, the next semester I didn't have that pre-req that I needed for another class I wanted to take. Out of the 8 classes I wanted to take, I ended up being able to take 7 this year. Even at that, I had to get special permission to take 1 course concurrently with its prerequisite.

3. You really need to know what grad schools you want to apply to, anyway, when you decide to taking leveling classes, to know which courses you need to take.

When I first decided to pursue a master's in SLP, I thought it would be nearly impossible to be accepted without any background in SLP. With all I've learned in the past year, I think if you have a great undergrad GPA, excellent GRE scores, and interesting and related experience, you have a good chance at admission even being out of field.

I don't know of any programs that don't require out-of-field applicants to take additional undergrad classes to catch up, but I only researched schools in my area since relocation was not an option. If I had it to do over again, I would have applied to a 3 year program, so that I wouldn't have felt so up-in-the-air wondering if taking all these classes would be worth it. 

Thanks for sharing your experiences. Very helpful.

Does anyone know if Out-of-Field students have any chance at funding? Or are those reserved for in-fielders only?

Why did I decide to do a post bacc?

Well, like you I kind of belatedly came to the realization that I wanted to be an SLP. I figured it out over the summer, which meant I already was going to have to wait out the year until starting my Masters the following Fall (I guess I could have applied for Spring semester start programs with no prereqs, but that didn't occur to me), and I figured I'd make that year productive. I'm doing an online post-bacc program through University of Florida right now. It's fairly easy, to be honest, doesn't take much of my time (classes meet Tuesday and Thursday evenings from 7-9) so I can work at the same time, and I'm actually bonding with my teachers and classmates because we have group projects and live class chats.

How long will it take?

I'll be done with all my post-bacc classes in the summer, which means it will only have taken me a year (three semesters) to complete them.

What was the damage?

It's quite affordable. (I think I paid something around $3000 for tuition this semester, so that'd come out to under $9000 for all three semesters, if I'm right?)

Am I glad I chose this route?

Most definitely. It was a productive way to spend my year and on the off-chance that I don't get into grad school I'll be able to go and become an SLPA next year since I have the post-bacc. Plus, it seriously expanded the number of graduate schools I could apply to - many don't just require prerequisite classes, they actually require applicants to have a Communication Sciences and Disorders major, which you can get with a post-bacc.

Edited by autismadvocate

• 1 year later...

I've read a few of the post and it's been really helpful. This may be a bit repetitive but here's my situation maybe someone can help answer a few of my questions. 

I am a recent graduate from UNC-Charlotte in Japanese. I took a few science courses but not enough to met the prereq requirements. I did not know that I have to have prereqs before getting accepted into the graduate program. My thoughts were that when you apply for graduate school and if you don't have the pre-reqs all you had to do is take those course and before actually getting taking the grad level courses. 

Does anyone know if you get your post-baccalaureate does Financial Aid provide aide? 

If I'm need to take my prereq courses, do I have to apply for an undergrad or should I apply for the grad program?