April 15 resolution by CGS - what does it mean, exactly?

PaperTowels

For reference: http://www.cgsnet.org/ckfinder/userfiles/files/CGS_Resolution.pdf

I recently found out about the CGS resolution which brought both relief and further quandary. Does anyone know anything about the following:

1. Does the resolution apply to international applicants? Even those who are not educated in the USA, nor have a Green Card or SSN?
  2. Is the resolution binding for schools listed? One school indicated that I will lose the admission offer unless I respond by a much earlier date. Can they do this?
  3. It is stated: "This Resolution applies to offers of financial support only, not offers of admission." - so what about offers of admission? In my field, offers of admission and financial aid are given together, since no applicant would attend without support in any case. Am I still allowed to change my mind after accepting an offer of admission before 15 April?

What good is a financial support resolution, anyway? Is there a similar admission offer resolution somewhere, or is the financial support one supposed to take care of admission by proxy?

Also feel free to ask any other questions about it if you have them.

Edited by PaperTowels

Hi. Thank you for posting this link to the original CSG. I had first discovered this resolution on this website, but then couldn't recall where exactly I'd seen him.

Unfortunately, I can't help much with answering your questions since I am not an authority on this and I am also wondering about similar questions as you. In response to your second question, it seems like the schools listed as being in support of the resolution would be legally held to honoring it in some way. Perhaps they just think that many are not aware of this document and won't attempt to pursue the issue further (and therefore can get away with pressuring you to decide sooner)? I know I didn't realize the CGS existed until I read about it on this forum. I would look into this, especially if they are pressuring you to make a decision before April 15.

I am also wondering about general admission commitments (and breaking them) before April 15th. This was my first round applying to grad schools and when I got my first acceptance letter (email, in this case), I didn't know what the hell I was doing. Initially I was psyched I got into this school, so I just followed the link and simply filled out the enrollment form online. This school does not require a monetary deposit and also it did not spell out any sort of formal policies about a date I had to reply by in order to keep my spot. If just simply accepting enrollment (without agreeing to accept any financial package from the school) were a legally-binding contract, the school would absolutely have to state this in the enrollment form. But, like you, I am curious if there is any sort of similar resolution that applies to just general acceptances and declines of admission offers. I will do some researching and let you know if I find anything.

I can't answer your questions regarding international students, but it seems the resolution may also apply to international students who are applying to study in the U.S. I can't see why it wouldn't apply, since it didn't mention anything about U.S. citizenship status. I could be wrong though.

Sorry I couldn't help much! I will let you know if I find anything because I need to know the same exact things -- and very soon. Good luck to you.

For reference: http://www.cgsnet.org/ckfinder/userfiles/files/CGS_Resolution.pdf

I recently found out about the CGS resolution which brought both relief and further quandary. Does anyone know anything about the following:

1. Does the resolution apply to international applicants? Even those who are not educated in the USA, nor have a Green Card or SSN?

If you received information about the CGS resolution in your letter of offer, then yes, it does apply to you and that school, even if you're international. But see the next question:

1. Is the resolution binding for schools listed? One school indicated that I will lose the admission offer unless I respond by a much earlier date. Can they do this?

The resolution is not binding -- think of it like something all the schools listed agreed on doing. There are no real consequences for schools that break the agreement. There are also no governing body that makes sure schools follow the agreement. So yes, they can do it! However, usually, if you ask for more time, they will give it to you.

1. It is stated: "This Resolution applies to offers of financial support only, not offers of admission." - so what about offers of admission? In my field, offers of admission and financial aid are given together, since no applicant would attend without support in any case. Am I still allowed to change my mind after accepting an offer of admission before 15 April?

What good is a financial support resolution, anyway? Is there a similar admission offer resolution somewhere, or is the financial support one supposed to take care of admission by proxy?

Also feel free to ask any other questions about it if you have them.

This is to distinguish between offers of admission + financial support vs. unfunded programs (like MSc). So you should have until April 15th (but see the answer above). Yes, you are allowed to change your mind -- the CGS resolution even explains what should happen if you do change your mind. 

Remember, that accepting an admission offer is NOT LEGALLY BINDING in any way. You can always quit school at any time, even before school starts. You would lose whatever deposit you might have paid, but that's unlikely this early in the year. Obviously, there are certain terms that go with a fellowship offer (e.g. if you don't attend, you don't get the stipend) but I've never seen a fellowship offer that will require you to be penalized if you quit (other than paying back whatever stipend was paid to you).

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to both of you for the input! This certainly helps clear things up.

Incidentally, I have since been able to confirm what TakeruK said regarding #1 and #2 on my own: The resolution applies to all offers from American institutions, and abiding by it is a matter of honor at this time.

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use