Fulfilling Pre-Reqs this Summer (Online or in person in Boston area)

Hi Everyone,

In order for me to start my SLP program this fall I need the following pre-requisites:

Intro to Audiology

Intro to Speech and Hearing Science

Anatomy and Physiology of Speech and Hearing Mechanisms

While Northeastern offers Intro to Audiology online this summer, they won't be offering the other two and I'd preferably like to take all three through the same program to make it easier on myself with funding it.  I've tried researching some online programs, but am having some trouble.  If you know of any programs that would allow me to do this, could you link them to me?

I also tried researching programs near me for their summer programs to do in person, but B.U.'s program this summer is quite expensive and I haven't been able to access Emerson's site for some reason.  Anyone know off the top of their head what Emerson is offering this summer?

Thanks in advance for any help that you all can offer!

I've taken some classes through Longwood University online. They're cheaper than in-person classes and not too difficult. The registration for the summer starts next week, so I'd definitely check out what they're offering for the summer soon. Also, MGH offers some courses over the summer, but I don't think they have Intro to Speech & Hearing Science. 

Do you know if Longwood is strict about having the pre-reqs for their online courses?  The three I need all have pre-reqs that I don't have...

In order for me to start my SLP program this fall I need the following pre-requisites:

Intro to Audiology

I also tried researching programs near me for their summer programs to do in person, but B.U.'s program this summer is quite expensive and I haven't been able to access Emerson's site for some reason.  Anyone know off the top of their head what Emerson is offering this summer?

If it's the same as last summer, then they will offer all of the 3 above (plus 1-2?) because some of their incoming class needs to complete all of the prereqs.  I took Audiology at Emerson last year during the second session.  The class met twice a week (6 weeks total) as it's a four credit class.  I believe their "Speech Science" summer course is called something like Acoustic Bases? 

FYI, I'm taking Speech Science through distance education at Utah State University, and it's pretty good for an online course.  Work load is manageable.  I think you'd learn a lot more at Emerson, NEU, or MGH, and be more challenged, but it's a nice option to consider.

Hi Jackie, I'm taking Language Development at Utah State this semester. The class is (surprisingly) a lot of work. Not so much difficult work...but a lot of it. I'm pretty sure they have the classes you need but I don't know specifically about their summer schedule.

The class was much cheaper than other options in Boston. I've taken all of my other prereqs at NU and USU was less than 1/2 the cost (about $775?) Anyway, just keep in mind that most, but not all, classes at USU require you to set up a proctor for exams. Luckily, there was a proctor at a library about 5 minutes from my house.

Good luck! : )

Longwood is strict about pre-reqs.  Since you don't have A&P done, you can't take the intro to audiology class.  Since you don't have audiology done, you can't take the speech science class.  I've done all my pre-reqs with longwood up to this point, but this summer they don't offer the last 3 classes I need (aural rehab, artic dis, and neural processes), so I'm going elsewhere for them.

If you can take one or two classes with the university you plan to attend - do that as a first choice.  I'm taking aural rehab with ECU online this summer since I need it for their program which I'm entering this Fall.  I am taking one of the other two classes (artic dis) with Utah State online as a non-degree student (free application online, very easy to set up), and the other class (neural processes) with University of Alaska at Anchorage (which I'm still working to get confirmed).  USU and UAA do NOT charge out-of-state admission for the DE courses, thank goodness!!

USU does offer all of the classes you need, I think.  check their website here: https://comd.usu.edu/htm/distance-education/online-post-bachelors-degree/online-post-bach-courses

I've taken some classes through Longwood University online. They're cheaper than in-person classes and not too difficult. The registration for the summer starts next week, so I'd definitely check out what they're offering for the summer soon. Also, MGH offers some courses over the summer, but I don't think they have Intro to Speech & Hearing Science. 

LeLe, are you in the intro to audiology class this semester?  I took A&P last fall, and took Lang dev & phonetics last summer.  Have we been in classes together?  I'm K.Caldwell, FYI. :-) 

Thank you everyone who has given me input so far!  It looks like USU will be my best option as Longwood has now been ruled out.  I ended up getting Emerson's site to work, and unfortunately since the special education program I work for doesn't end til the end of June online classes will only work for getting them all done in time, unless I choose to do Emerson's second summer session Intro to Audiology class, which sounds more tempting since doing all 3 online at the same time might be a little too much work for me.

Since USU has a Speech Science class and not Speech and Hearing Science class, I'm assuming they'd count as the same?

Check with your program coordinator to  make sure the class counts -- there may be a "course equivalency" form to fill out which compares the course syllabus from one place to another.  USU has the syllabus posted below the course listing so you can do just that.  I would think that they'd be the same, but you should check before taking ANY class that fulfills a pre-req, just to make sure the material is what THEY want you to study.  Sometimes a different course name has the right material, which is why they usually ask for the course description.  

Wish I could be of more help! 

Yeah, Jackie...I would just send a link to Dr. O'Neil and get her approval (you're planning on attending NU in the fall, right?) She seemed very familiar with the USU courses and responded very quickly. That way you'll have the approval in writing if it ever becomes an issue, which I doubt!

Good luck!

Oh, and I know NU has a Speech Science class AND a Speech and Hearing Science (which I'm currently taking). So they may not accept the USU's Speech Science...but who knows! : )

LeLe, are you in the intro to audiology class this semester?  I took A&P last fall, and took Lang dev & phonetics last summer.  Have we been in classes together?  I'm K.Caldwell, FYI. :-) 

We must have been in the same anat and phys course! I took it last semester along with intro to audiology :)

All caps are obnoxious, so I will resist the temptation, but please pretend that the following message is in all caps:

I second, third, and fourth what the above posters have said about getting advance clearance for your pre-reqs. The school I'm at now (not going to name names, but there's another thread wondering what's wrong with my school) seriously screwed a lot of people in this regard. I was told a week before the decision deadline that none of my prereqs would count, and after lots of arguing I got in writing that they all would. Then I arrived on campus, and was told they changed their minds about one of my classes, but since I had it in writing they are just making me sit in on the lectures. Many of my classmates were forced to take an extra year on campus to do all their prereqs again.

Please, please, please make sure in advance that your school will accept all your prerequisite coursework before you pay any money.

*steps off soapbox*

Thank you for the warning! I actually just got through emailing my adviser about the courses at USU...turns out I also need a fourth course (Phonetics) that I thought would be covered by a linguistics course I took at NU as an undergrad.  This is shaping up to be a full courseload this summer, eek!

So, it looks like the USU courses run all summer (May-August).  For those with experience taking these online courses, will taking 4 all at once be too much to handle?  I have a feeling May and June will be miserable since I'd still be working at the special ed program I work for 30 hours a week in additoin to taking these classes online, but I have July and August off.  I know in the end the work will be worth it, but will I be giving myself too much to do at once?  I really really want to start a program this fall and don't want to lose this opportunity at the last moment due to pre-reqs not being completed.

anyone know if any of the online programs offer "acoustic and articulatory phonetics" as a course? rather than phonetics and speech science as two separate courses?

What does the course description say for this course at the university you plan to attend?  Match up the description of that class with an equivalent description at another university that offers the online course.  Might be an articulatory phonology course, or straight-up phonetics.   

Hey Jackie, like I said...I took the classes you need at NU. I'm currently taking Language Development at USU. This class consists of three exams (which must be proctored), 9 chapter reviews (due on Sunday nights, end up being 4-6 page papers), a language assessment project (focused on MLU) and a couple of easier smaller assignments. It's more work than I would have thought for an on-line class but I've read that this particular professor can be "difficult". Since you're highly motivated to get these classes done so you can begin the program in September I'm sure you'll be successful! Are you working FT? PT? Or will you have the summer off?

anyone know if any of the online programs offer "acoustic and articulatory phonetics" as a course? rather than phonetics and speech science as two separate courses?

I believe OSU might offer one online this summer through their 2013 Summer Institute...http://sphs.osu.edu/events/2013-summer-institute-speech-and-hearing-science-distance-learning-courses  It looks like their Speech and Hearing 3340D – Bio-Acoustics for Speech and Hearing Science might do that, but I'm not sure.  I found the course descriptions for the courses offered here: https://courses.osu.edu/psp/hcosuct/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/COMMUNITY_ACCESS.OSR_CAT_SRCH.GBL%22

Hey Jackie, like I said...I took the classes you need at NU. I'm currently taking Language Development at USU. This class consists of three exams (which must be proctored), 9 chapter reviews (due on Sunday nights, end up being 4-6 page papers), a language assessment project (focused on MLU) and a couple of easier smaller assignments. It's more work than I would have thought for an on-line class but I've read that this particular professor can be "difficult". Since you're highly motivated to get these classes done so you can begin the program in September I'm sure you'll be successful! Are you working FT? PT? Or will you have the summer off?

I'm working 30 hours a week so I have time in the evenings to do classwork.  Plus I have a couple hours in the morning/afternoon during my commute to do readings for class as well and have my weekends free.  I have a background in linguistics, so I don't think the phonetics will be too difficult for me, but so far my most difficult obstacle has been finding somewhere that offers Intro to Speech and Hearing Science online.  While I've found classes that focus on Speech Science and ones that focus on Hearing Science, I haven't found ones that focus on both (except for ENMU which I'm waiting to hear back from if I can take the class through their Distance Ed option).

Hi Everyone,

Intro to Audiology

While Northeastern offers Intro to Audiology online this summer, they won't be offering the other two and I'd preferably like to take all three through the same program to make it easier on myself with funding it.  I've tried researching some online programs, but am having some trouble.  If you know of any programs that would allow me to do this, could you link them to me?

Hi!---I'm just curious as to if the Intro to Audiology class is offered only to current students at Northeastern OR if I could apply as a non-matric and take the online course this summer. Intro to Audiology is the only class I need to take before I start my graduate program this fall. I live in NYC and most of the programs around here require you to apply to their undergraduate speech program, which turns into a really annoying process. I know SUNY New Paltz offers an online course this summer for audiology as well, so I will be looking into that. I'm definitely going to be making some phone calls come monday.

Thanks!

Hello Everyone

I am planning to take Introduction to communication sciences and disorders course (prerequisite) this summer. Which is the cheapest option available for this online course?  Utah state University appears to have the lowest tution rate but is not offering the course this summer.

I would really appreciate a quick response.

Thanks

Hello Everyone

I am planning to take Introduction to communication sciences and disorders course (prerequisite) this summer. Which is the cheapest option available for this online course?  Utah state University appears to have the lowest tution rate but is not offering the course this summer.

I would really appreciate a quick response.

Thanks

Where is in-state tuition for you? Longwood Univ in VA offers the intro class and I think all of their courses are available every semester, but out of state tuition is about $1900 per course. I am surprised they are making you take the intro course, it seems Iike if you have done Lang dev and phonetics that you wouldn't need the intro course. Hmm... :-/

Where is in-state tuition for you? Longwood Univ in VA offers the intro class and I think all of their courses are available every semester, but out of state tuition is about $1900 per course. I am surprised they are making you take the intro course, it seems Iike if you have done Lang dev and phonetics that you wouldn't need the intro course. Hmm... :-/

I am a MA resident. I have to complete the following prerequisites.

1. INTRODUCTION TO COMMUNICATION SCIENCES AND DISORDERS

2. PHONETIC TRANSCRIPTION AND INTRODUCTION TO ACOUSTIC PHONETICS

3. SPEECH AND LANGUAGE ACQUISITION

4. AUDIOLOGY

I have been able to find all courses at UTAH except Introduction to CSD.

Hi!---I'm just curious as to if the Intro to Audiology class is offered only to current students at Northeastern OR if I could apply as a non-matric and take the online course this summer. Intro to Audiology is the only class I need to take before I start my graduate program this fall. I live in NYC and most of the programs around here require you to apply to their undergraduate speech program, which turns into a really annoying process. I know SUNY New Paltz offers an online course this summer for audiology as well, so I will be looking into that. I'm definitely going to be making some phone calls come monday.

Thanks!

Hi you might also want to check the CUNYs - Brooklyn and I think Lehman allow you to take their speech classes as a non-matric/post-bacc.  I am not sure what is offered over the summer, however, and they are seated classes.