Harvard MTS: Funding Question!

matthew2725

Well hey there all,

I hope everyone's heard awesome news from awesome places! Question about HDS funding...does anyone have any experience asking for more?

Out of my three schools, Harvard (which is my top choice) gave me the least amount of funding, 50% tuition as compared to full tuition at UChicago and full tuition+stipend at YDS. Does anybody have any thoughts on how/when/whether it's even possible to try to ask for more at Harvard and subtly (or not so subtly?) using the offers from the other schools as...bargaining chips, I suppose?

The whole thing sounds kind of unsavory, but I don't have any experience with this at the Masters level so I'm sort of flying blind here. I know that for undergrad, I was able to get my award doubled by proving that another school had offered me a full ride, but I have no idea whether that kind of thing is looked upon as really bad in this particular arena.

Thanks in advance if anyone has info, and congrats to all. It's been a wild ride... :blink:

if you have to choose from Harvard Yale and Chicago, with all the funding issues, why not go to Yale? They are equally fine places to study. 

It really comes down to a question of fit. I didn't feel comfortable at all at Yale, and while I know Chicago is a great program, it's also a very long way away from where I currently live, and the move would be hard for a number of reasons.

But like I said, the most pressing issue is that of fit. There are *so* many professors at Harvard that I want to work with, and the environment just seems..much more "me" than the other two, especially Yale. 

I hope that makes sense. Weird when feelings have to enter into all of this stuff, right?

First off, congrats on being in such a good difficult situation!  I faced a similar dilemma back when I did my masters:  50% at Harvard versus more money elsewhere.  It is certainly possible to ask about the possibility for increased funding, and as long as you are respectful about it, I don't think you would ruffle any feathers.  Personally, given your situation, I'd just be honest with them.  Tell Harvard that they are your first choice but you have full rides elsewhere (don't think I would name names) that you'd probably have to accept because of financial issues/concerns if their funding doesn't increase any.  I have no idea what your chances of success would be, but it can't hurt to try.  If you got for it, do make sure to word that email carefully, though!

Also, if the offer doesn't increase from 50%, I would definitely recommend opting for either Yale or Chicago.  Even at top-flight programs, there are no guarantees about what you'll get on the other side.  Paying the cost of living plus 1/2 tuition in Boston would be pretty brutal (I remember trying to work out those numbers...).  If you'll absolutely regret not going to Harvard, then do it.  But be very aware of the amount of money you're spending/the debt (and interest) you're accruing.  Since Yale and Chicago are also fantastic programs, I'd think you'd be better off following the money.

I tried to get more money at Harvard, was unsuccessful, and took the other offer.  It was an admittedly tough decision to turn Harvard down (even typing those words sounds ridiculous), and everyone's situation is unique.  It is impossible to know for sure how things will turn out, and obviously all of your options are good choices.  That being said, I'm quite happy with the path I've taken.  Grad school is hard enough as is.  Not having to worry (or not as much, at least) about debts, loans, and the like while completing my studies was very beneficial to me.

I'm pretty sure HDS will not negotiate at the masters level. Please take cost of living into account! Cambridge is *such* an expensive place to live. If you go with half tuition, you may have trouble even getting enough loans to cover both 1/2 tuition and the outrageous cost of living.

Right, of course. I guess I'm asking because if Harvard does take financial need into account when awarding scholarship money, I'm not sure whether I understand how my funding offer worked...

As a person with little to no income of one's own, whose parental finances (which I definitely entered in my FAFSA, whoops!) are a lot less than they appear on paper because we pay Canadian tax rates, is the expectation on Harvard's part that I just take out the cost of 50% tuition plus living expenses out in loans if I choose to attend?

Sorry for all the questions! This stuff gets a bit confusing sometimes.

Is the expectation on Harvard's part that I just take out the cost of 50% tuition plus living expenses out in loans if I choose to attend?

When you get a half-tuition grant at HDS it is need-based. Even if you make nothing, that does not mean they will fully fund you, because any aid they give beyond half-tuition is merit-based.

So the answer is: Yes. If you want to go, they expect you to take out loans to cover whatever they didn't.

When you get a half-tuition grant at HDS it is need-based. Even if you make nothing, that does not mean they will fully fund you, because any aid they give beyond half-tuition is merit-based.

So the answer is: Yes. If you want to go, they expect you to take out loans to cover whatever they didn't.

So if someone got full tuition, that is half for need and half for merit? (Just curious... :rolleyes: )

Generally no. In some cases, sure. However most programs have merit awards that can cover the full 100% CoA. I don't think Harvard releases (on their website anyway) the specific merit awards and their payout, I've never seen it anyway. But I do know of students at places like Duke, Vandy, Yale, and PTSEM that had 100% of their CoA covered through merit awards. Others had split - 50% need, 50% merit, and any % spread you can imagine.

I'd imagine that Harvard has a small handful of 100% merit awards for their best applicants to trap them into accepting but I don't know.

At HDS, 50% tuition is need-based. There are also a variety of merit awards at HDS, some include full tuition and some even include a stipend. There are really a variety of funding packages for MTS students.

MDivs are usually much better-funded because their denominations have often given money to HDS specifically for full tuition + stipend packages for students in their denominations.

I was in a very similar situation when I got into a bunch of MTS programs, including Harvard's. Others gave me better funding and Harvard only gave me the 50% scholarship.

Harvard will not budge. Believe me.

However, my second year they did bump me up to 100%. I met with the dean, was on a first name basis with all the financial aid staff, earned high grades my first year, etc. so I'm not sure how much that had to do with it.

All that is to say, no, they will not increase your initial offer, but they might increase it after a semester or a year if something magical happens, caused by I know not what.

Do you mind my asking how you were able to make up the difference for your first year? Like, did you just take out...thousands of dollars in loans and supplement it with summer jobs and things like that?

You totally don't have to answer if that's too personal!

Do you mind my asking how you were able to make up the difference for your first year? Like, did you just take out...thousands of dollars in loans and supplement it with summer jobs and things like that?

You totally don't have to answer if that's too personal!

PMed you