Can I apply to PhD programs right when I get into a two-year masters program?

mathundergrad

Hi Everyone,

Would it be possible to apply for PhD programs right when I enter a two year masters? For example, suppose I get admission to purdue for the Fall of 2013 for a two years master's in mathematics program and then while at purdue, within the first few months I apply to PhD programs for the Fall of 2014. If I do get in, can I leave purdue for the other PhD programs? Thanks!

Hi Everyone,

Would it be possible to apply for PhD programs right when I enter a two year masters? For example, suppose I get admission to purdue for the Fall of 2013 for a two years master's in mathematics program and then while at purdue, within the first few months I apply to PhD programs for the Fall of 2014. If I do get in, can I leave purdue for the other PhD programs? Thanks!

I personally would not recommend that. If you're going to start a masters, make sure you complete it. Your programs that you apply to are going to ask you about your current program and what you're doing with it. It won't look good if you're just using it as a place-holder until you get into the program you want. It could seriously help your chances for PhD programs if you will have a masters before you start your PhD, so why not finish it? Apply for your PhD for the Fall AFTER you complete your masters. I'm finishing a masters this summer and will start PhD late this summer... those two extra years of experience helped me a ton.