Years since unergrad, no relevant work experience, asking for LOR?

AMD1083

I am very confused who or how to ask for LOR.

I graduated my undergrad in 2006 with a BA in Math, and am applying to MS programs related to CS or IT.

I don't think any of my professors from 7 years ago will remember me well enough to write a relevant or helpful letter.

I also don't have any relevant experience in the field I'm hoping to go into.  

I am planning to ask a couple previous supervisors, even though the work has nothing to do with that field. 

Do you think this is a good idea?  I don't know who else to ask.  Do you think any professors who might remember me could even write a decent letter years later?

Please help!

Was your GPA strong as an undergrad? Did you produce quality work? If so, you may be surprised to find out that many professors do remember you, possibly even quite well. It also helps to jog their memories with examples of projects you did, scanned tests or problem sets that you did well on (if you still have any in your possession), etc.

I do think it's going to be important for you to have academic references. One out of three or four recs can be professional, but that's tricky in your case since your jobs haven't been relevant to the CS field.

If worst comes to worst, you can possibly take another relevant class or two (might be a good idea anyway as the industry is dynamic and 2006 is ancient history--assuming you took any CS-related coursework as an undergrad), find a CS-related job, and/or volunteer somewhere with a CS focus with hopes of getting some recs. Those would all be good for your CV anyhow.

ETA: Don't forget that your GRE and SOP can strengthen your app, as well as the POIs you make and the schools you choose. If you kill the quant section and write an enthusiastic, convincing essay after aligning with profs whose work interests you, your app will be all the better for it.

Edited by midnight streetlight

I don't know much about your field, but I was also a few years out of undergrad (at a school that had larger class sizes, no less), and I was surprised to find that a few professors remembered me better than I had imagined. I sent along old papers, my CV, and my statement of purpose for grad school to refresh their memories and show them where I was hoping to go now. While I never saw the letters, they were at least good enough to get me into several top programs!

I would also recommend taking a class or two, even if only at a community college. If you're switching fields, it could help show commitment, and that you know what you're getting yourself into.

• 6 years later...