F1 Visa interview

Hi there!

I am a French student and I have been accepted to a PhD program in medicinal chemistry at UNC Chapel Hill.

Here is the thing, my mother is a naturalized us citizen. Do you think that my visa might be denied because of that?

I do have biding ties to France, I have family here and although I have visited my mother several times in the US, I never stayed longer than two weeks or maybe a month once a year (she's my mom, I have to see her every once in a while! =)... ).

I'm really freaking out about this interview thing. This program in Chapel Hill is exactly what I was looking for, and I'll be recieving full funding, tuition remission and health insurance.

Thanks for the replies!!

ps: will the interview be carried out in english or french?

I don't really know about France but I'm guessing interviews everywhere, including France, will be in English! Don't know about your other queries though. I guess you should just explain to them what you just did to us ;)

• 2 weeks later...

well during my J-1 interview, two years ago, I was asked where I am going and who is funding me. That's it, no letter of intend, no contracts, no proof of binding ties, nothing...

If you mum is American by birth, why dont you have a double citizenship?

• 2 weeks later...

I took a F-1 interview for a language course in Wyoming in 2007. Even if it was at Brazil, it was pretty tranquil, just aked about destination, reason for study English (!) and funding. Interview was in Portuguese.

However, if you have a right to American citizenship, I'd definitively reccomend you to get that. It was somehow difficult to me to open a bank account - so I could get an American-address based credit card to shop online without hassles, get a driver's license in US (I was there for a semester), get that magical SSN and so on...

• 2 weeks later...

While I wouldn't worry too much, I would a) make sure I mentioned it on my form (they can find out easily enough -- and you dont want them to think you're hiding anything) and B) practice a good, solid answer to the question about binding ties. Bring the documents with you -- use them if you are asked questions. Honestly, I've applied for F1 visas three times, and I always carried every possible document I could with me. That way, if there is a question, you are completely prepared to answer it.

Also, while I agree that getting US citizenship is a useful thing, honestly you won't have much trouble. UNC is a great school and you're going there for a fully-funded PhD. Moreover, you're an EU citizen -- getting a visa will be something of a formality for you. As for the SSN and drivers license -- I had no problem getting them as an international. The international office at UNC will most probably get you your SSN within your first few months there (are you going to be doing any teaching?). As for the drivers license -- each state has it's own regulations, but you basically need a certain number of IDs with you and some form of proof of address. A SSN, utility bill, passport, etc should be more than enough.

best of luck!

F-1 interviews are pretty standard. As long as you're not impersonating someone else, you should be fine. I carried every possible document to the interview though. I even tried to push a few of em on my interviewer, but he wasn't interested :) . My interview lasted for like 5 minutes and I really don't remember much because it was all very innocuous. Don't worry about it.

Hi all, I am a Canadian heading over to the states for a PhD. I did some research and it seems that Canadians do not need to apply for visas to study in USA. However, I've also read that we still need to complete the I-20 form. Is that all? I just need to fill out the I-20 and I'm all set to go?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

When I took an F-1 visa couple years ago the counsular officer at Brasilia Embassy (Brazil) didn't take more than 75 seconds do tell me my applications was approved and my visa were to be issued within a week.