Boren 2013-2014

djevojka

@Utahyankee- 1st cm125 was speaking of fellowship applicants (I assume) regarding the dates e-mail, as the "dates e-mail" for scholarship applicants was included in the budget e-mail.  2nd cm125 actually wrote "I didn't get the email, so I meant if it turns out that I'm already rejected, then clearly the letters weren't a big help."  He was referring to the letters of affiliation, which only apply to fellowship applicants. 3rd shakazulu was also referring to fellowship applicants and the fact that for some reason they were not sent budget e-mails this year (whereas they had been in previous years.)

@shakazulu- qaiswalaya was reacting to a misunderstanding of what was originally posted by cm125.  What he was really attempting to express (in regards to the fellowship) was  "I didn't get the email, so I meant if it turns out that I'm already rejected, then clearly the letters weren't a big help."

Thanks a lot for the clarification, this thing has just been one big roller coaster ride so far.

for those in the DC area - if we get acceptance letters, let's go out for a no holds barred happy hour. just a thought.

So a regular DC happy hour then?

Edited by Utahyankee

I didn't get the email, so I meant if it turns out that I'm already rejected, then clearly the letters weren't a big help.

As one of the few who didn't receive the date confirmation e-mails, I also had a letter of affiliation from the organization I had lined up an internship with as well as specific courses listed since I got in touch directly with the academic department at the university. One of the professors even agreed to take me on as a research assistant-which lined up perfectly with my research for the Boren. My academic advisors told me that the chances of not getting this fellowship were 'impossible'. Joke is on me and them. What is worse is that they ask me almost every other day for an update and I smile and say I don't know yet, knowing that it is a 99% no. I guess that just means they had one hell of a talented applicant pool ;) 

As one of the few who didn't receive the date confirmation e-mails... Joke is on me and them. What is worse is that they ask me almost every other day for an update and I smile and say I don't know yet, knowing that it is a 99% no. I guess that just means they had one hell of a talented applicant pool

It ain't over til the fat lady sings. Granted, we can see her in the wings getting ready. Although, the protocol changed so no one knows anything for sure. Apeafrica didn't get the email, but she has to have made the cut. No other explanation for them contacting her. Then again, maybe they didn't send her the dates email because they knew they would have to contact her to reorganize the language program. Also, a colleague of mine applied--who just got another competitive fellowship--and I figured that they would at least get alternate status given their strong background and project. Nope, no email either. But, hey, 80% get rejected, so it's not hard to figure out. And agreed that there's nothing worse than people being over-confident on your behalf with any information. Unless you're on the selection committee, don't tell me what my chances are.

There's also a bit of a comedic value to the fact that out of all the people on here, you and I are the only ones that haven't gotten an email. Oddly takes the sting out of it a bit.

Edited by cm125

I agree about it dampening the sting. Either way, not receiving the dates confirmation e-mail has given me time to mope/mourn. Regardless, I will be obsessively refreshing my inbox towards the end of the month. Bon courage!\

Hang in there everyone.  You are right, it ain't over until it's over.  I'm hopeful I made "the cut" but again, having indirectly dealt with hope and disappointment with the Fulbright when my husband was going through it, anything is still possible.  They could easily say that this language program is too expensive...or any other excuse under the sun.

Life would be grand if we heard next week, no?  Wishful thinking..... :-P

alexpen and cm125, 

I think there's reason for both of you to remain hopeful.  Perhaps they've changed their procedures this year.  The Boren staff told one person on this list that they've only contacted people they needed clarification from.  So, maybe they didn't contact you about dates precisely because you have letters of affiliation that confirm you'll be starting your overseas program at a specific time..?  

Or, maybe only the people who received some sort of budget email are still in the running, and the dates email was just data collection like the survey.  In any case, we're all just guessing at the moment based on the scant information available.  You have as much reason as most of us to keep hoping. Don't get discouraged!  

Cheers,

no sleep

Word...and I have a good buddy here who still hasn't heard a peep from Boren either....and he has, from my opinion, a really cool and relevant project that seems so right for Boren...who knows....

well, final decisions have been made. don't ask me how i know. i guess it's a matter of time until they decide to notify us.

Really?  You are going to tell me not to ask you how you know that?!?!? =)  If would be awesome to know sooner than later...I'm on a plane next Friday...sigh...=)

well, final decisions have been made. don't ask me how i know. i guess it's a matter of time until they decide to notify us.

All I want to know is if you know when they will be sending out emails. Please?

for those in the DC area - if we get acceptance letters, let's go out for a no holds barred happy hour. just a thought.
This could work. I'm in Texas now but will be back home in Baltimore in early May.

I included my letter of affiliation, but I already had it in hand for Fulbright. We'll see how this whole dates email thing turns out, because if that was a cut-off, then clearly the letter wasn't a big help.
Yea, I was in the same boat with a Fulbright app and affiliation. I figure it certainly can't hurt, especially if feasibility is one of the big things they look at, but we'll see.

Really?  You are going to tell me not to ask you how you know that?!?!? =)  If would be awesome to know sooner than later...I'm on a plane next Friday...sigh...=)

does it matter? it's not like anyone can influence their decisions. 

does it matter? it's not like anyone can influence their decisions. 

I suppose not....I'm just at the stage I promised myself I would get to.  Doing my best to keep my mind off of it but it does creep in there every opportunity possible.  =/  Will do my best to stay focused and my mind on the massive to-do list this coming week.  Fly out next Friday!

Based on the Facebook status they just posted, sounds like "a few weeks". Ugh.

i wonder if they posted that in response to anything... did anyone call in there and ask yesterday or today?

Based on the Facebook status they just posted, sounds like "a few weeks". Ugh.

Yeah, I just saw that. Maybe they are going to stick to the end of the month plan. After all, the 30th is in a few weeks.

Sometime between now and 10 days from now....I saw that fb post too.  Not sure what sparked that announcement either.  It's a bit of a teaser, no?

Sometime between now and 10 days from now....I saw that fb post too.  Not sure what sparked that announcement either.  It's a bit of a teaser, no?

i sincerely hope someone didn't call in when they saw my post. no one told me anything, i just used my amazing deductive analytical powers to come to my groundbreaking conclusion.

i sincerely hope someone didn't call in when they saw my post. no one told me anything, i just used my amazing deductive analytical powers to come to my groundbreaking conclusion.

:)   Probably not...I'm sure that someone from the program is probably lurking on this thread anyway.  Wouldn't surprise me one bit.