Johns Hopkins Humanities Center

walnutfff

I have a silly question, which I recognize and apologize for in advance, but vanity compels me to pose it: What is the perception of Johns Hopkins humanities center within the academic community? As far as interdisciplinary work in continental philosophy is concerned, is this a competitive/prestigious program? 

I was told by a graduate of the JHU HC that the HC is the place to apply if you have interests in continental philosophy and are considering JHU. JHU's placement record in philosophy is downright terrible. On the other hand, the HC record is very good. Although, many of the students are placed in non-philosophy departments. But the graduate I spoke with informed me that he is having some success in his current round of job interviews with phil departments. I'll most likely be applying to the HC next year with the hopes of working on German Idealism and Adorno with Hent de Vries and a few of the members of the philosophy department. It's not my first choice, but again, from what I gathered, if you are interested in Continental Philosophy and had pegged JHU as one of your choices, you'd be better off applying to the HC.. 

FYI: From what I have gathered, Michael Williams has no affiliation with the humanities center. 

Edited by STMphilosophy