SAIS

invictus

I believe we all received the same email yesterday from SAIS regarding timing:

"Thank you again for your interest in SAIS. We are currently finalizing our admission and financial aid decisions, and we will make every effort to notify you as soon as possible. Decisions will be communicated via postal mail, and we plan to send out notifications on or before March 20th."

Based on last year's posts on here as well as on autoadmit, it seems that accepted students do receive an email before the hard copy acceptance arrives. Do you think we can expect the same this year? I really hope so, since I'll be out of the country for three weeks for work and would REALLY like to know before I come back. Having a friend check my mail is a bit anticlimactic!

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was on the SAIS Admissions Chat a few weeks ago and they said they'd mail hardcopy decisions simultaneously around March 20. Last year they did staggered email-and-snailmail decisions (I found out from lurking an old collegeconfidential thread): Bologna decisions came out a few days before DC (March 9 and 14 respectively), accepts found out before those who didn't get in (almost mid-April), and some people only got e-mail or snailmail, while others got both.

I was on the SAIS Admissions Chat a few weeks ago and they said they'd mail hardcopy decisions simultaneously around March 20. Last year they did staggered email-and-snailmail decisions (I found out from lurking an old collegeconfidential thread): Bologna decisions came out a few days before DC (March 9 and 14 respectively), accepts found out before those who didn't get in (almost mid-April), and some people only got e-mail or snailmail, while others got both.

Wow way to go for them to not seem to have a rhyme or reason to getting an e-mail or not. I hope they'll get all of the info out on or before the 20th instead of keeping those who don't get in (who I'm thinking I might be one of) hanging for a few extra weeks. Yay for being totally in limbo for a while longer.

I called this afternoon (oh how they must hate those calls!) and the very helpful individual on the line indicated that SAIS will be sending out snail mail letters "by the end of the month". I asked about email notification and she confirmed that some people may receive electronic notification in addition to the hard copy letter. Still a big vague, but at least this gives me some justification for continuing to check my email non-stop.

Well, it's the afternoon of the 19th here in Asia and not a peep from SAIS. Ugh! Hoping we hear soon...sure this board will pick up when there's actually something to chat about. Love how we don't know how they will inform us...I'm half waiting for someone to come tap me on the shoulder and mutter the result in my ear (...don't get me started on how KSG is allegedly notifying through phone calls....)

...Sorry - clearly the wait is getting to me

Does anyone know from recent years whether SAIS has informed on scholarships/fellowships/assistanceships/etc together with admissions decisions?

decisionsihope - I'm fairly sure that SAIS is making a concerted effort to provide both our admissions decision and any $$ info at the same time. I believe they mentioned this at the info session I went to last month.

The email I received from admissions (not the mass email we all got) said they will be mailing via post later this week, which means we won't physically get the letter until next week. As for those overseas, sorry...it'll be a bit longer.

Yes, it's true - applications will be mailed out snail mail tomorrow, and by post only...here's from the Admissions Office:

"All admissions decisions will be sent via regular mail only on Friday, March 20th. Financial aid letters will be included as well. You are welcome to contact the Admissions Office approximately two weeks after March 20th if you have yet to receive an admissions letter.

For more information on the SAIS admissions process, please visit http://www.sais-jhu.edu/admissions.

Best regards,

SAIS Admissions"

I like how SAIS is doing this (Fletcher did a great job as well), instead of G-Dub saying things will be posted online on Friday YET people have been getting emails either today or before with acceptance letters. It's kind of annoying.

Snail mail? Though I would love to know sooner rather than later, I sort of appreciate not having the "admits get an email first, then waitlist people, then rejected people last" situation. I enjoyed coming home to a big package in the mail from American. So, antediluvian. So, awesome.

Cornell07 - I agree that there is a certain charm to snail mail, but I think SAIS may email admits. I understand that they will send out all the hard copy letters at once, but based on a short phone conversation I had several days ago I specifically asked if email was a possibility and got a cryptic reply of: 'perhaps for some'

Aaaarrgh that is excruciating! :shock:

I know they're really busy and have a ton of applications etc., but sometimes I think they enjoy torturing us like this! Dangling our notifications in front of us, knowing they're out in the mail...somewhere...but we just have to wait to find out. Hopefully the mail will be quick and we'll know by early next week. Anyone get any e-mails yet? I'm assuming they'd just be for acceptances and maybe like GW for people who they are giving scholarships/fellowships etc. It's almost over, it's almost over...

"Decisions will be communicated via postal mail, and we plan to send out notifications on or before March 20th"

Ummm, does notification mean we will be told by today whether we got in or not? I didn't even notice this last part until i went to the results page. WTF~!?