SAIS

invictus

Hi, gizmooow

GREAT to see you again! I remember we both got into SIPA. So which one are you leaning toward now? Maybe you have other choices? Congrats again! you'll see the IDEV acceptance on the snail mail later :)

By the way, do you or anyone else know if its possible to switch the concentration after enrollment ? I want to take the IDEV track but I applied for Int'l policy, also a capped one ( I thought the intermediate macro/micro was a must before application, rather than enrolloment.. :evil: )

I met someone who switched from USFP to something else. I'm sure it could be done...

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tolo, no, I STILL haven't heard back from SIPA... but SAIS was my top choice so it's okay now.

I have no idea about the switching-concentration thing, but I would go through the website again, then ask them directly to make sure. As for the Econ prerequisites, yeah, it was really hard to find but they do mention it's okay as long as you complete it pre-enrollment.

http://www.sais-jhu.edu/academics/non-d ... /index.htm

jpa - I'm taking the online course. Would love to go to the pre-term if I could afford it...

[...}[T]hey actually wrote that you needed to attend pre-term? [... ] However, they didn't mention specifically that I needed to attend, which is quite a surprise as UCSD wanted me to go to theirs.

Also, is there info about housing online, finding roommates, etc.Housing in DC is mad expensive.

I'm in the same boat re: econ pre-term, minus the econ major. I have intro micro, macro, and international trade theory and policy courses under my belt from undergrad, and UCSD wanted me to do their econ AND quant preterms, too. I'm probably going to just take courses on my own at a local university in the summer just to brush up on my own and skip out on pre-term (wherever I pick in the end).

Housing: there is a part of the online packet that has links to a bunch of housing sites. It might've been under Packet > preterm info >housing. Basically they list stuff like Craiglist and other online listings, and I remember seeing a link to something called saisforums.com and those are "SAIS-exclusive" housing listings that you need to register to see. I didn't go to look/register b/c I figured it won't work until I accept and pay a deposit.

From what I've heard of and understand, living in DC is generally expensive, and all the more so to live on your own (looks like minimum 1200+). If you share it's a bit less (e.g. divide say 2k amongst 3 ppl) and it also depends on what area/neighbourhood, e.g. Georgetown is suuuuper pricey, but somewhere that's a 15 minute-drive away (at least based on googlemaps) would be cheaper.

Impatiens: I can't believe they waitlisted you at Fordham after you got into SAIS! Who does Fordham think they are, anyway? :)

IIIIII KNOWWW! THANK YOU FOR RECOGNIZING!

However, I think there are a few practical things that influenced this. Forham's IPED is teeeeeeeeeny (like 30 spots) and so it's going to be tough when a billion more people are applying b/c of the recession and the enormous propensity to go back to or stay in school. Also I feel like (at least when I researched the programs to write my apps) that I was a much better fit for the SAIS program(s) I picked (Cdn Studies and SEAsia Studies) than the stream I picked at Fordham (Int'l Banking). But whatevs, the waitlist doesn't bug me as much as it did on Thursday, and I am happy. :mrgreen:

Is the first year Bologna program looked down on at SAIS and how is your financial aid effected? So far I got into SAIS (Bologna), SIPA, Elliot GW, Maxwell Syracuse, SIS American, and I'm waiting on Georgetown, any thoughts? I am planning on doing my phd perhaps directly after these programs if that helps focus any commentary...

I wonder if there's some kind of reading list. Even if I'm an Econ and IR major, I'm kinda worried that I'm a bit rusty...ok well, not a bit, actually I'm pretty sure I've forgotten everything. :shock:

Thx for the info, jpd and gizmooow, I guess I'll e-mail them about this later...hope it'll be a yes...I am a bit worried now cuz they said IDEV is a capped one, and maybe the switching wouldn't be easy... By the way, do you guys know about their int'l economic program? Is it integrated with other concentratons, which means we all should study the Int'l Econ no matter what concentration we choose?

I am in both SIPA and SAIS...also GSPP...gizmoow you said SAIS is your top choice..may I know why? Personally I am not leaning toward GSPP cuz they gave me no funding and I am worried about their connections in DC...afterall, GSPP is in the west coast. As for SIPA and SAIS, I really don't know which one I should choose. I heard SIPA is a cash cow and the tuition is 42K this year, almost 10K more expensive than SAIS!!! However, SIPA seems to have close connections with UN, one of the ideal employers I'd like to work for. Another is World Bank...I heard SAIS has a lot of grads who work there...really dillemma for me...any advice?

Thx for the info, jpd and gizmooow, I guess I'll e-mail them about this later...hope it'll be a yes...I am a bit worried now cuz they said IDEV is a capped one, and maybe the switching wouldn't be easy... By the way, do you guys know about their int'l economic program? Is it integrated with other concentratons, which means we all should study the Int'l Econ no matter what concentration we choose?

I am in both SIPA and SAIS...also GSPP...gizmoow you said SAIS is your top choice..may I know why? Personally I am not leaning toward GSPP cuz they gave me no funding and I am worried about their connections in DC...afterall, GSPP is in the west coast. As for SIPA and SAIS, I really don't know which one I should choose. I heard SIPA is a cash cow and the tuition is 42K this year, almost 10K more expensive than SAIS!!! However, SIPA seems to have close connections with UN, one of the ideal employers I'd like to work for. Another is World Bank...I heard SAIS has a lot of grads who work there...really dillemma for me...any advice?

Hi Tolo.. glad to see you here at SAIS. I got in at SIPA but was not asked to take their American langauge program. As I told you previously, my English stats weren't better than yours. Anyway, I'm also in at SAIS and this time they recommended me to take an English preparation course before Fall. I think I'll choose SAIS over SIPA b/c I'm working in the Foreign Service on US affairs and I already have connections in Washington. And SAIS will enhance the connections with policy people with whome I can work throughout my career. SIPA, they said, has connection with the UN. But I think we're not talking to the UN or its people that frequently while at SIPA. While I think I will do with people in DC - US government, academics, think tanks, congressional offices - who from time to time asked to serve in different posts in various sectors in the policy circle. Foreign service people today don't work only on G-to-G but we work with all players in the field. So I think I will intensify my prior knowledge and connections in DC. I know I should / can diversify my expertise to multilateral works at the UN at SIPA. But I think I will do that by taking Conflict Management at SAIS and maybe interning at the UN in New York. I don't think my two years in NYC will make me connected firmly with UN or its people, compared with what I can do in two years with policy people in Washington. In Washington, I think it's more than the US but it's global affairs that you can learn. And people in "DC" and SAIS will be working throughout the world.

For one thing, I think people have different factors to decide b/c we all have different backgrounds and future career objectives. And I hope you make a right choice.

By the way, do you guys know about their int'l economic program? Is it integrated with other concentratons, which means we all should study the Int'l Econ no matter what concentration we choose?

well, it's not integrated per say, but according to their website, they state "All candidates must concentrate their studies in two programs, one of which must be International Economics " so you'll definitely be taking Int'l Econ.

http://www.sais-jhu.edu/academics/degre ... centration

For my personal preferences, I'll PM you later, but I totally agree with energie. It's all about what you want to study specifically, other preferences if any, and your future career goals.

Before I went to visit SIPA and SAIS last summer, I was sure that SIPA was my top choice. However, after visiting the school, meeting with faculty and staff, I had that gut feeling that SAIS was the best fit for me. SIPA staff and SIPA alumni I've met were kind of snooty. I went to the APSIA fair in Beijing and was shocked that the SIPA rep couldn't speak English very well. It was so bad that I had to use my horrible Chinese! I personally didn't get such a great feeling from SIPA and they never replied to my emails, while SAIS was very prompt in their replies. I honestly fell in love with SAIS after spending a few hours there. The professors and admissions office were very sincere and seemed to truly care about their students. The professors seem human and even told me a funny story about a girl who was sweating like crazy during the orals. He was understanding and tried to make her laugh, and then she was fine. He even made fun of me for living in Shanghai and "studying Mandarin" as his son did the same thing, knowing Shanghai is a party city. I really did study! haha jkjk, I tried. It's just so hard! Additionally, I sat in on a class and liked the interaction.

I don't know about you, but the reason why I'm going to grad school is not to only gain more knowledge about the field I love but also to get that "dream" job. The professors basically said they're knocking on doors to get their students the jobs/internships we want.Of course, we have to play our part too. I think SIPA grads will have no trouble getting the same jobs, but I needed that reassurance that I'm getting my money's worth and esp. at times like these with the economy. Also, when I was living in Shanghai, some of my best friends were SAISERS, both D.C. and Nanjing kids. While they were a very ambitious group of people, they still had amazing personalities and were down-to-earth. They meet with each other once a week for drinks. With that said, the SAIS alumni network is solid around the world. When I needed a job, they were on it, emailing their classmates.

BUT...like the others have said, it's about your personal preferences. I personally hate NYC. I eventually want to be in D.C. and SAIS's strat studies is a strong program with a great director, Eliot Cohen. I also heard that many students get funding in their second year, rather than first. At the end of the day, all of these programs are different and wonderful in their own respect. It's about you and where you think you'll gain the most out of that insane tuition fee!

As for switching out, like I said, it's been done. Contact the admissions office. I'm sure they'll work with you on it. Good luck!

Dear Tolo, I'm in at SAIS & GSPP as well-- also IDEV focused. I actually grew up in Berkeley, and can tell you that the program is very "nurturing" to each student's needs. But my worry as well-- is the idev job placement-- do you think GSPP grads really have a hard time breaking into the Wolrd Bank and others even with the deep economic policy analysis they're known for?

"I also heard that many students get funding in their second year, rather than first. "

JPA,

Did you get any information on what what the average package is? I've tried finding info online, but SAIS students and admin seems pretty tight lipped about it.

Thank you all, jpa, energie, gizmooow and DevelopmentGuy.

To energie: glad to see you here and congrats! SAIS also recommends that I should take the English Pre-term courses.

To gizmooow: Does it mean we need to take 2 concentrations at the same time, one under int'l econ program, the other under the regional/functional studies?

To jpa: Do you know how much funding could the 2nd-year SAIS students possibly get? SIPA said almost half of the 2nd-year class got fundings. But I wanna know how much would it cover the total expenses for one academic year.

To DevelopmentGuy: I believe GSPP has great MPP program with stellar faculty and rigorous policy analysis trainning. Esp. their econ courses seem pretty solid. I heard that a 2nd-year student from my home country has already found a job from world bank. However, I am not sure how much it takes. Maybe harder compared to SAIS? SAIS employment stats report said int'l org like world banks recruited 13 % of its grads in 2008. But I heard places like WB ususally hires PHDs for permanent positions. For students with master degrees, the job is only temporary. You have to leave when your project is done. Not sure if its true. Anyone knows about it?

Escincau and Tolo,

Sorry I can't recall. I just remember someone saying it in passing. I actually just emailed admissions to ask, so I'll get back to you guys when I hear from them! How's the decision-making process coming along? Please take my comments about SIPA with a grain of salt. It was only my personal experience and I'm only one person, so definitely do what's best for you.

IIIIII KNOWWW! THANK YOU FOR RECOGNIZING!

However, I think there are a few practical things that influenced this. Forham's IPED is teeeeeeeeeny (like 30 spots) and so it's going to be tough when a billion more people are applying b/c of the recession and the enormous propensity to go back to or stay in school. Also I feel like (at least when I researched the programs to write my apps) that I was a much better fit for the SAIS program(s) I picked (Cdn Studies and SEAsia Studies) than the stream I picked at Fordham (Int'l Banking). But whatevs, the waitlist doesn't bug me as much as it did on Thursday, and I am happy. :mrgreen:

That's funny. I was accepted into DU, UCSD, SAIS, waitlisted at SIPA and Fletcher, but get this...I was rejected by Maryland. Not really sure what to say to that or what happened.

Did anyone find out about financial aid yet? Based upon the acceptance email, I'd guess that packages were mailed Monday afternoon, so people in DC might have received by now.