U Michigan 2013

Email today indicating there *might* be movement on the waitlist?  Anyone else in this boat who did not visit?!  I have no idea how I'd make this decision with so little time until the deadline.  Anyone want to weigh in on their sense of the department during the visit?  

Email today indicating there *might* be movement on the waitlist?  Anyone else in this boat who did not visit?!  I have no idea how I'd make this decision with so little time until the deadline.  Anyone want to weigh in on their sense of the department during the visit?  

I'm in the same boat as you. I have other offers and not having visited makes me a little nervous, but it seems like such an amazing program... Here's hoping for good news for both of us :)

On 4/11/2013 at 3:17 PM, Globalist said:

I visited the University of Michigan, WUSTL, and Rice a few weeks ago, and Ann Arbor was by far the coolest area to live in. U of M has a really open campus, which was new to me having done my undergrad at USC. I was accepted into the Women's Studies and English joint program and had a private visit. Out of the eleven people I met with during my visit every one of them was warm and welcoming, the departments really felt like their own little communities. I also had a chance to meet with four PhD students who were all very friendly and who were happy with their progress in the program. I actually couldn't have had a better visit, which made my decision between the three programs easy! Hope that helps a little! Feel free to PM me if you have a specific question.

i also loved my visit -- i've just declined, too, but i don't know if that will affect the waitlist any.

michigan's a truly friendly, interdisciplinary, down-to-earth sort of a place, with a degree of public

& popular engagement on the part of the english faculty -- in such stunning combination -- that i

think you'd be hard-pressed to find anywhere else! 19th & 20thc. american (my field) seems to be

particularly booming; and graduate students seemed friendly & happy all-around. PLUS, ann arbor

really is a PLACE -- a held-in, comfortable, fairly progressive and culturally dense one. i think, if you

guys are interested and can harbor the brinksmanship game of waiting, it'd be worth it!

good luckkkk! hope you guys get slots!