UCLA MSW 2013

msw650

Do you all know where you are going to live or thinking about living?

I applied to graduate housing..because I'm not entirely sure where to start looking...there is so much to consider! I may not necessarily commit to it because in previous correspondence Lance said that he would help facilitate this in some way? So I don't know if he's setting up a Google Doc about people's living situations or if current/incoming MSW students have a room/need a room. 

Has anyone received the email yet for the Placement Profile?

Still have not received it. I'm starting to pretty impatient about it....going to make a few calls if I don't hear anything by the end of this month. It's taking forever!

I applied to graduate housing..because I'm not entirely sure where to start looking...there is so much to consider! I may not necessarily commit to it because in previous correspondence Lance said that he would help facilitate this in some way? So I don't know if he's setting up a Google Doc about people's living situations or if current/incoming MSW students have a room/need a room. 

Still have not received it. I'm starting to pretty impatient about it....going to make a few calls if I don't hear anything by the end of this month. It's taking forever!

I received the placement profile email about three hours ago (a little after 9pm on Monday the 13th)

Lots of save buttons throughout the form, which really came in handy, especially with the questions that were somewhat redundant of our personal statements but they don't want us to pull from our personal statements. I did my best to answer them in a way that would provide them with new thoughts. Apparently it is ok though to pull out certain bits and pieces; specific points. Other than those questions, the others are very basic like name, date, volunteer/work experience, preference of what's important to you in field placement (distance vs. stipend vs. other factors). Overall the whole thing took a little longer than I thought. There was no word limit or minimum length either so I didn't stress over that. The email noted no right/wrong answer; just to answer as best and honestly as we can. Hope you all get yours soon too!!

has anyone else gotten the email about student liability insurance for field placements? i feel awfully clueless but i'm assuming this isn't the same as health insurance?

has anyone else gotten the email about student liability insurance for field placements? i feel awfully clueless but i'm assuming this isn't the same as health insurance?

Yup I got it and it is NOT the same as health insurance.  We all need to get this liability insurance and it's pretty affordable, I called Marsh and they quoted $41/year.  You can also get it through NASW for $23/year, but you also have to join NASW and the student rate is $48/year.  I'll probably just get Marsh's coverage...

I received the placement profile email about three hours ago (a little after 9pm on Monday the 13th)

Lots of save buttons throughout the form, which really came in handy, especially with the questions that were somewhat redundant of our personal statements but they don't want us to pull from our personal statements. I did my best to answer them in a way that would provide them with new thoughts. Apparently it is ok though to pull out certain bits and pieces; specific points. Other than those questions, the others are very basic like name, date, volunteer/work experience, preference of what's important to you in field placement (distance vs. stipend vs. other factors). Overall the whole thing took a little longer than I thought. There was no word limit or minimum length either so I didn't stress over that. The email noted no right/wrong answer; just to answer as best and honestly as we can. Hope you all get yours soon too!!

I got the email. Thanks. :)

Yup I got it and it is NOT the same as health insurance.  We all need to get this liability insurance and it's pretty affordable, I called Marsh and they quoted $41/year.  You can also get it through NASW for $23/year, but you also have to join NASW and the student rate is $48/year.  I'll probably just get Marsh's coverage...

Thanks for clearing that up! I was a bit confused about that as well. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Friend me if youd like and we can hopefully get it going, just message me or something.

Sounds like the exam might be a little difficult, but will probably start studying the beginning of august. How about you?

Friend me if youd like and we can hopefully get it going, just message me or something.

Sounds like the exam might be a little difficult, but will probably start studying the beginning of august. How about you?

I sent you my facebook profile url. I'm a little anxious about the exam. It hasn't been too long since I took lifespan/development but long enough to where I'm not entirely confident. The books aren't exactly cheap so I'll probably rent them. 

Sweet! I just requested to join the FB group.

The exam doesn't seem too bad...considering we can get a C on it to pass. 

I guess I'm a little biased though because  my undergrad major was psych so it's mostly all review...

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone!

I also requested to join the FB group :)

Has anyone purchased the books yet or started studying for the test?

Just realized the study group is this saturday. Anyone planning on attending that?

Hi everyone!

I also requested to join the FB group :)

Has anyone purchased the books yet or started studying for the test?

Just realized the study group is this saturday. Anyone planning on attending that?

So nice to see the group expanding a bit! :) If anyone else has yet to join the group, please do!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/207450862745033/

I'm still working on filling in more details for the broad outline/study guide that was emailed to us. I haven't decided whether I'm going or not to the study group tomorrow. Will you be going?

Edited by nhl

I am lagging a bit on the studying... Still need to purchase the books so I figured it would be pointless to go tomorrow. But I did want to mingle after to see if I can setup smaller study groups but I guess I'll wait for the next one