How to prepare for PhD with little background

cogneuropsy

I graduated with a degree in communications a few years ago and recently became more interested in studying psychology. I have become familiar with the literature in a few particular areas of interest (mostly within cognitive psychology) and started taking classes at a nearby university. I'm working towards building a stronger application for a PhD program.

How many courses should I take? I have seen some programs specify the amount of coursework required for students from non-psych backgrounds though many do not.

What is a good way to get research experience for someone like me (already graduated, working in an unrelated field)?

Any other advice? Thanks!

I took night classes: Developmental Psych, Abnormal Psych, General Psych if you haven't already, Cognitive Psychology, etc. - the more, the better, and preferably at grad-level. You can also volunteer in a lab nearby at nights and weekends (I did when I worked FT). 

You might want to also consider a MS program- I found it very useful for me, for many different reasons.

take a stats class and an experimental class to show your chops, take a developmental course, a social course, and an abnormal psych course to learn the landscape.  these courses form the backbone of any masters program and will show up on your transcript as a really well developed and prepped non-psych major path.  they will also prepare you really well for the psych gres.  also, yeah just like the gal above said, work in a research lab and get some experience that way.  

Many of the programs I looked at require a minor's worth of classes (15-18 credits). Absolutely take a research methods/experimental class, and a stats class. Beyond that, check what your local university considers "core" classes for a psych major, and consider taking those.

The advice I was always given (as a non-psych major) is that it is far more important to get research experience than to take more classes. Obviously, the more classes you're able to take, the better, but just thought I'd throw that out there in case they start to become a significant drain on your time/funds or you find yourself having to choose between another couple classes and a job as an RA.

Surprisingly, I was also told that I didn't need to take the psych GRE (and so I didn't). I agree it sounds like a good thing to do though-- just, again, if you find yourself having to choose between studying for the psych GRE (which could take a LONG TIME it seems to me), and getting more research experience/studying harder for the general GRE, you might want to consider opting for the latter.

If all these things sound counter-intuitive just know that it worked for me! Everyone's situation is different though. Feel free to PM me if you want to discuss in more detail.

Oh and yeah, obviously the exception for everything I just said is if the programs you're interested in require particular courses and/or the psych GRE. (None of mine did so I forgot that sometimes happens.) If that's the case then feel free to ignore :).

Duh I can't believe I forgot stats and research methods :-). I was basing it off of my own experience as a non-psych major, but I actually had those classes in undergrad so didn't think to include them (silly me). I agree you should take those.

• 2 weeks later...

I think you should take at least 5:

General/Intro Psych

Research Methods

Stats

And then at least two electives related to your area.  Abnormal psych is not necessary unless you are interested in mental health or psychopathology (I never took it); neither is developmental unless you are interested in development (I also never took that).  I'm not saying don't take them, I'm simply saying that you can substitute something else.  Another commonly recommended class in prep for a PhD in the field is History and Systems of Psych, but I avoided that class and have never really found a need for it.  Your electives should be driven by your interests.  You should definitely take cognitive psych, if you are interested in cognitive, and then something related to that - psychology of learning?  Social psychology (if your interests interact there)?  Maybe a specialized cognition course?