University of Washington

Logorrhea224

Hey guys, just wanted to let you know that I cleared the measles requirement by simply scanning in my list of immunizations (Choice A) -- no need for the physician's signature. They were pretty quick about it too. If you still have questions, you should call the HHPCC Measles Requirement Line, they got back to me within 24 hours. 

• 9 months later...

Wanted to bump this one for the Fall 2014 season. 

Is there anyone who's considering UW or definitely going? Maybe some advice from previous students?

Thanks in advance!

I just accepted my offer to UW yesterday! I'm going to be moving from NC, so I'm trying to figure out how that's going to work logistically. I have really nice furniture that I don't want to lose : (

I'm on the verge of accepting my offer, I'm heading out to Seattle this week for an open house. For current students, is there anything in particular that I should check out or keep an eye out for?

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Gnome Chomsky

Going to UW. Gonna move there from Miami this summer. Probably gonna try to get a room in the U District. 

Guest Gnome Chomsky

Going to start PhD program at UW in the fall. Also looking at housing options. Are buses generally on time and reliable? 

Yes, buses are very reliable. They run all the time so even if you miss one you'll only have to wait another 10 minutes to catch the next one. Might be a little slower on weekends and very late at night, but buses run 24/7. As long as you're not on the outskirts of Seattle, you can usually get to campus from anywhere within 20-30 minutes. The campus is in the middle of the city and it's very close to downtown Seattle. Also, there is a lot of student housing in the neighborhood where the school is located, University District. I'm not sure if lots of grad students live there, but a lot of students live there. You might have to deal with undergrads and lots of roommates, but you could usually find a place for very cheap, like $500 a month. And it's like a 5 minute walk to class. 

Yes, buses are very reliable. They run all the time so even if you miss one you'll only have to wait another 10 minutes to catch the next one. Might be a little slower on weekends and very late at night, but buses run 24/7. As long as you're not on the outskirts of Seattle, you can usually get to campus from anywhere within 20-30 minutes. The campus is in the middle of the city and it's very close to downtown Seattle. Also, there is a lot of student housing in the neighborhood where the school is located, University District. I'm not sure if lots of grad students live there, but a lot of students live there. You might have to deal with undergrads and lots of roommates, but you could usually find a place for very cheap, like $500 a month. And it's like a 5 minute walk to class. 

Thanks! I'm a bit picky about quiet living environments so I am not going to aim to be surrounded by a lot of undergrads. 2-30 minute commute seems pretty doable!

Accepted for the MS in Chemical Engineering program at UW, Seattle. Headed there this Fall. Any idea where I should start looking for roommates?

I don't mind sharing an apartments. Want female roommates and rent up to 500 $ is affordable I guess, since I am not getting a stipend :(

Guest Gnome Chomsky

Accepted for the MS in Chemical Engineering program at UW, Seattle. Headed there this Fall. Any idea where I should start looking for roommates?

I don't mind sharing an apartments. Want female roommates and rent up to 500 $ is affordable I guess, since I am not getting a stipend :(

You can find cheap places in the U District (where the school is) if you don't mind roommates and undergrads. But those places usually get sold out fast so you'll have to make a down payment months in advance. That's where I want to live. I've been to Seattle a few times in the past few months. I don't want to have to bus a half hour every time I want to go to the school. I'd rather live within walking distance. 

• 1 month later...

Anyone need a roommate?  I am heading to UW in the AUT quarter and am looking for a place to live next year. I'm a M.S. in Civil (Structural) Engineering student.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi. I am moving from Tokyo to Seattle to attend UW from AQ. MA Japan Studies here.

Am sincerely worried about finding housing before moving, as I cannot see the place before going, since I am on the other side of the Pacific.

Moving with my unmarried significant other, and so could not get family housing, and Radford Court is already filled.

Any information on what real estate sites/agent are legitimate, and what a feasible commuting distance is would be appreciated.

Thanks