MPP decision: Heinz ($28K) vs. GPPI ($20K) vs. GWU (full ride)

MTJ

I could use a bit of input on this decision, as I'm not really sure what the overriding consideration should be. I'll be entering straight from undergrad, and have funding offers from GWU's MPP program (a research assistantship with full tuition remission plus a stipend), CMU Heinz's MPSPPM (two-year Pittsburgh track) program ($28K per year), and GPPI's MPP program ($20K per year). Assuming I receive no additional outside funding, this translates into post-graduation debt loads of $35K, $70K, and $90K, respectively. GWU's funding offer is, obviously, pretty hard to turn down, particularly when combined with the experience that I'd gain from the assistantship (I didn't get much research experience in undergrad). But I'm wondering whether any of these considerations might warrant taking on a significantly higher debt load for Heinz or GPPI:

• Both Heinz and GPPI seem to have a lot more national name recognition, and (based on what I've read on these forums) Heinz in particular seems to have a strong alumni network in a number of cities other than DC. So, they might offer me more flexibility if I decide that I want somewhere other than DC after graduation (I did my undergrad in DC and loved it, so right now I'm planning to work in DC, but obviously things could change in two years). That said, GWU seems to be aggressively working to grow its national profile, it's comparably ranked to GPPI, and it certainly doesn't have a BAD reputation.
  • Heinz has a MUCH stronger quantitative core. While GPPI and GWU both require the standard regression methods and program evaluation courses, CMU seems to be the only policy program that requires MBA-like core courses in "scientific management" (optimization, decision modeling, risk analysis, etc.), which I have to believe would provide a significant leg up in terms of employment versatility. Now, GWU's business school offers similar courses that I could take as electives, so to some extent I could replicate that particular Heinz advantage; but, there's still the fact that a program's reputation (particularly among private-sector employers) is probably determined largely by the quantitative strength of its core curriculum. Georgetown, for its part, does not seem to offer comparable courses, either through GPPI or through the business school.
  • GPPI offers a LOT of electives, far more so than any other MPP program, in my area of interest (financial market regulation), and also offers the option to write a thesis as my capstone, which really appeals to me (again, didn't get a lot of large-scale research experience in undergrad). 

So, bottom line: should I take GWU's money and not look back, or is there an overriding reason why Heinz and/or GPPI would be worth the extra debt? And, recognizing that the difference between $70K and $90K in debt is a lot smaller than the difference between $35K and $70K, which program (Heinz or GPPI) would be better on the merits? Any feedback, particularly from current students at any of these three programs, would be much appreciated!

Thanks! Good luck to everyone in your decision-making.

I'd take the money and run.  I don't think the differences between those schools are big enough to justify any significant differences in post-graduation debt.  That's just how I think about it, though!  I'm pretty debt-averse, for perspective.  I think if you want to work in public service, having no debt's a huge advantage.  If you don't want to work in public serivce, having no debt's still a huge advantage.

My advice is to take the full ride + assistantship from GW. I really think that people underemphasize the importance of coming out of grad school with as little debt as possible. GPPI and Heinz are both great programs, but I don't think that they will give you an extremely significant leg up in terms of jobs/career after school over what you will get from GW. There is a BIG difference between 35K in debt and 70K-90K in debt. If you really want to do research, as it sounds like you do, then having an assistantship should be viewed as a huge bonus. If I were in your shoes, there is very little chance I would turn down the GW offer.

Yeah, that's definitely the direction in which I was leaning. I, too, tend to be pretty debt-averse, particularly since I'm going for an MPP rather than a JD...I just wasn't sure if the advantages of GPPI/Heinz were enough to make that aversion irrational. It's always good to know that others think the same way :)

I'm not sure if you calculated this in your debt estimates, but just to throw it out there, cost of living in Pittsburgh is WAY below what it is in DC. You'll likely pay at least 2x as much in rent in DC (even if you live in the burbs, like VA or MD, which is kind of a drag), and transportation costs are likely to be significantly higher as well (I don't know if GWU offers transportation subsidies, but I know in Pittsburgh the city buses are free with a university ID). As someone who is currently living in DC and moving to Pittsburgh in the fall to start at Heinz, I'm blown away by how much lower my costs are going to be in Pittsburgh than in DC.

Just food for thought--might mitigate some of the difference in debt calculations!

Yeah, I was basing the debt calculations off of the official estimated cost of attendance at each school, which I'm assuming is at least somewhat reflective of cost-of-living differences. That's definitely a good point, though. Plus, I hear Pittsburgh is nice!

If I am reading your post correctly...  How did you calculate $70k debt after the two-year program at Heinz, given your funding?

I have $24k/year funding at Heinz and my calculations are not even close to that...  Granted, I have a Segal Education Award ($5k) and I am hedging a bit by anticipating a high likelihood of securing additional funding for the second year.

*I am also planning on working part-time to pay for housing.

Edited by Dentatus

It was very much a back-of-the-envelope calculation: I took the estimated cost of attendance (you can download a per-semester breakdown from http://www.heinz.cmu.edu/financial-aid/masters-programs/public-policy-and-management-msppm/student-expenses/index.aspx), deducted $14K from each semester, and added it all up. That, of course, is before factoring the possibility of working during the semester, so it's probably more accurate to say "$70K unfunded" than "$70K in debt"; I just figured it'd be best to be conservative and not assume that I'd find a job, that my academic load would allow for the possibility of working a good number of hours per week, etc.

Understandable - wasn't trying to call you out or anything.  I am leaning more and more towards attending Heinz.  With the factors I detailed above, I "hope" I can graduate with 20k +/- 5k of debt.  With your funding, cost of living in Pittsburgh, possibility of working part-time, and perhaps additional second year funding - it seems more like half of your initial estimate might be a more realistic figure.  Although being conservative about the anticipated costs make sense.  Maybe I'm being too generous?

Have y'all gotten financial aid responses yet: workstudy eligibility, etc? From the website, it seems that there are a lot of opportunities to work on campus and in the Pittsburgh community.

I am under the impression that the living expense estimates are inflated. Keep in mind that they factor in insurance, an expensive laptop, travel, and probably a high estimation of housing costs and meal costs. I think that they want to make sure you can spend/take out as much money to live comfortably while you study. You could probably cut costs here and there.

I would say go for the money holding everything else constant. I'm not sure, but it seems as if the schools have really different curricula, so you might also want to think about your exact goals and which school will prepare for those goals best. Personally, I love Heinz' course offerings. It's exactly the type of education that I want, but to each his own.