What would you choose between GWU Elliott and NYU?

Miskina

So I was almost sure to attend Elliott next fall, but I just got an email from NYU saying that I have been admitted. Now I'm having a hard time choosing between the two. In GWU I would do an MA in International Affairs with a concentration in International Security Studies. In NYU I would do an MA in International Relations.

I think these are very different programs. My sense is that Elliott is more of a professional school, while NYU is more research-focused (there's a required MA thesis). In the future I would like to work in the fied of international security (think tank or international organization). I think that Elliott is also a better fit because I could intern during the day and I REALLY need more work experience. I'm straight from undergrad, and my only work experience was a 3-months internship last summer in the French Ministry of Foreign Affairs. I'm going to work there again this summer though.

Oh and I didn't get any funding from any of these schools.

So what do you guys think? Thank you very much!

Edited by Miskina

So I was almost sure to attend Elliott next fall, but I just got an email from NYU saying that I have been admitted. Now I'm having a hard time choosing between the two. In GWU I would do an MA in International Affairs with a concentration in International Security Studies. In NYU I would do an MA in International Relations.

I think these are very different programs. My sense is that Elliott is more of a professional school, while NYU is more research-focused (there's a required MA thesis). In the future I would like to work in the fied of international security (think tank or international organization). I think that Elliott is also a better fit because I could intern during the day and I REALLY need more work experience. I'm straight from undergrad, and my only work experience was a 3-months internship last summer in the French Ministry of Foreign Affairs. I'm going to work there again this summer though.

Oh and I didn't get any funding from any of these schools.

So what do you guys think? Thank you very much!inf

I got into both and sense that Elliott offers much more. I haven't gotten any info from NYU. Elliott seems very connected with the D.C. scene and is bigger. 

Thank you for your input! But I see that you've been admitted to SCPS, while I've been admitted to GSAS (Graduate School of Arts and Science). Do you know what the difference is between an MA in International Relations (GSAS) and an MS in Global Affairs (SCPS)?

Thank you for your input! But I see that you've been admitted to SCPS, while I've been admitted to GSAS (Graduate School of Arts and Science). Do you know what the difference is between an MA in International Relations (GSAS) and an MS in Global Affairs (SCPS)?

Oops! I clearly put so little thought into NYU that I put down the wrong NYU. I was admitted to GSAS as well. No idea what the difference was - I just wanted a backup in New York.

I think if you need work experience Elliott would be more helpful in finding internships. Just by impression from talking to them.

Oops! I clearly put so little thought into NYU that I put down the wrong NYU. I was admitted to GSAS as well. No idea what the difference was - I just wanted a backup in New York.

I think if you need work experience Elliott would be more helpful in finding internships. Just by impression from talking to them.

That's what I was thinking as well. But some friends tell me to go to NYU because it has a better reputation than GWU. They say that it's not even a question!

I'm clearly leaning toward GWU though, but I'm so afraid to make a mistake.

Do you know which school you'll attend?

That's what I was thinking as well. But some friends tell me to go to NYU because it has a better reputation than GWU. They say that it's not even a question!

I'm clearly leaning toward GWU though, but I'm so afraid to make a mistake.

Do you know which school you'll attend?

Not for IR at all!

I'm deciding between SAIS and Tufts, myself. But if I had to choose between NYU and GW, I would go GW 100%. I don't even know if NYU is ranked for international affairs, while GW did make the list for Foreign Policy's IR schools. I only applied to NYU because at the time I wanted to stay in NY.

Really? It's ranked #7 in International Politics among US schools by US News: http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-humanities-schools/international-politics-rankings

It's also ranked #13 among world best schools (GWU is only #38): http://www.usnews.com/education/worlds-best-universities-rankings/best-universities-politics-and-international-studies

I don't know which one is the best indicator: US News or Foreign Policy?

Edited by Miskina

Yes you're both right. I'm choosing Elliott. I really like the program and I'll be able to intern during the day. I also think that they are really committed to their students.

Thank you!

• 9 months later...

A bit late, but I'd like to confirm that you made the right choice.  I have completed a MA in IR at NYU and strongly discourage anyone else from doing the same.  While one can make the best out of it, it may take some time to realize how. and by that time you may well be half-way through your coursework. Another important consideration is whether you're looking for DC-type work (USG, think tanks, etc) or NYC-type work (UN, Corporations, etc.)  If one really examines this, almost any way you cut it, the masters program in international relations at NYU is not where you should be going.  Perhaps another program at NYU, but not this one. 

• 4 years later...

I know I am extremely late on this but currently making the decision between Elliot and NYU’s GSAS for International Affairs as well. Also lets through American’s SIS in the mix because I really can’t decide between those three. Those of you who made this decision a few years back, are you happy with the choices you made? 

5 hours ago, kelsiv said:

I know I am extremely late on this but currently making the decision between Elliot and NYU’s GSAS for International Affairs as well. Also lets through American’s SIS in the mix because I really can’t decide between those three. Those of you who made this decision a few years back, are you happy with the choices you made? 

My first priority would be funding, as I don't believe it is worth it to get heavily in debt for an IA degree. My next priority would be living in DC, as there are so many opportunities here. If I were you it would probably be between SIS and Elliott. I chose SIS and have been very happy with my choice. If I had gotten a competitive offer from Elliott I may have gone there and probably would have been just as happy. 

While you have already made the decision, I also have to add that GWU is a good choice. I was accepted there and sat in on a class to check it out. While I decided to head elsewhere, it was extremely impressive. The thing that impressed me the most (for my interests) was that the professor was very connected to international relations/diplomacy in DC. My sense is that you get the real deal in terms of people working in IR, not looking at it from a theoretical level.

• 1 year later...
On 3/17/2018 at 8:48 PM, DevinMiles said:

While you have already made the decision, I also have to add that GWU is a good choice. I was accepted there and sat in on a class to check it out. While I decided to head elsewhere, it was extremely impressive. The thing that impressed me the most (for my interests) was that the professor was very connected to international relations/diplomacy in DC. My sense is that you get the real deal in terms of people working in IR, not looking at it from a theoretical level.

So I have to decide between NYU’s GSAS MA in international relations with a full ride or Georgetown MSFS with only about 40% of the tuition. Very conflicted. Please help.