Writing Sample

CrazyCatLady80

Just wondering if everyone thought seven months would be a reasonable amount of time to come up with a good writing sample? I have a paper already that I presented at several conferences and is in my field, but it doesn't really represent what I want to do in grad school. I am just starting the research for this current paper and plan on getting a draft finished by mid June. That will give me approximately six months to make edits. Does that sound reasonable?

Yeah, but I feel the idea for this paper is stronger than the one I already have. I am not completely against using paper #1 as my writing sample either. Just trying to figure out if seven months is a reasonable time to produce a good quality writing sample. 

Yeah, but I feel the idea for this paper is stronger than the one I already have. I am not completely against using paper #1 as my writing sample either. Just trying to figure out if seven months is a reasonable time to produce a good quality writing sample. 

Does your research require access to scarce resources?  If not, that's plenty of time.  And you could always go back and use paper #1 if you don't like/finish paper #2.

Does your research require access to scarce resources?  If not, that's plenty of time.  And you could always go back and use paper #1 if you don't like/finish paper #2.

Not really and using Paper #1 as backup is a good idea. 

Oh and I forgot to add that the paper I already have is the infamous one that my advisor gave me a B on, but everyone else loves it. 

Do you know why the paper was given a 'B' by your adviser?

Do you know why the paper was given a 'B' by your adviser?

Very long story. The exact reasons are still a mystery. At first, he liked it. Then he didn't. Now he likes it again, which he told me after I mentioned the paper is up for possible publication. Other faculty like it and the paper has been received at conferences. It needs a lot of work, but it is a good paper. 

Edited by CrazyCatLady80

Yes, should do.  A good variety of sources (primary, secondary, books, articles, etc) plus a clear unifying theme does well.  Make sure the grammar/citing is on the mark.  People do get fussy about that. 

I would think that you'd be able to produce something substantial for your sample in seven months. Attempting to go through this as an undergrad, I would hope so anyway! You could spend some carefully making revisions and polishing to your completed paper since you've got the time while working on your current project, and once you're finished in June decide what you feel most confident with.

MY question about a writing sample lies with how to choose the best selection if I plan to use my senior thesis, which will be about 75 pages when I'm done next month. Another viable option may present itself, but that's what I assume I will use. I am mostly musing to myself here but any thoughts or suggestions are welcomed also.

What I did was write a completely separate essay about one facet of my thesis.  It eventually was integrated into said thesis as chapter 2.  I made it 15-20 pages long and then filed it down for each school as needed.  If they did not specify essay length, I sent the whole thing - they need to set word/page limits with me :P 

As to how effective that is, I'm not sure.  As you can see, I got the boot from all my American unis and got into the Brit ones (Oxford was filed down to 15 pages, while York got the full 20, if I recall correctly).  Granted, my topic is super Euro-centric, super creepy, and not really done. 

Just wondering if everyone thought seven months would be a reasonable amount of time to come up with a good writing sample? I have a paper already that I presented at several conferences and is in my field, but it doesn't really represent what I want to do in grad school. I am just starting the research for this current paper and plan on getting a draft finished by mid June. That will give me approximately six months to make edits. Does that sound reasonable?

That should be a good time frame. Don't do it in two months, though. In fact, definitely start all of your applications before fall semester because senior year will not likely be as easy as everyone tells you it will be. It may be a good idea to rework a good graded paper because some departments require work that has been graded. I imagine it depends on the program, but the paper doesn't necessarily have to do with your research interests; mine didn't and it worked just fine. Also, different programs have different page-length requirements and formatting so make sure you produce different versions based on different program's specifications - and to emphasize again, don't wait until two months before or you will not have time to sleep the week applications are due.