What does it truly mean to be wait-listed for a doctorate program?

sheabutter

Is it really a nice way of saying, "Thank you! you were a very strong candidate, but I didn't quite know how to tell you No," or does it honestly mean something? When I think about a waiting list, I only see doctorate programs picking 1-2 individuals off of that list of 500. 

It means there is a X number of people ahead of you on the waitlist, and that if someone rejects their offer, it will be x-1.

once x=0, and someone turns down their offer you will be given an offer.

What this means otherwise, you were a strong applicant and may potentially be accepted, or not.

It depends. I was wait listed at one program while they figured out ways to arrange their funding so there was more available. The other was because they loved my app but others were a better fit with the people taking students. They wanted to accept me but couldn't justify it right away given limited funding.

Thanks,

I was placed on a waiting list for a month when I was told that I would not be extended admission. I thought I would stay on the list until at least May, because you never know who will back down.

Most likely, they filled all the spots and everyone accepted. This would definitely be possible if your program only accepts a few people.

Edited by musicmage09

Most likely, they filled all the spots and everyone accepted. This would definitely be possible if your program only accepts a few people.

This is exactly how I feel!!! Do you feel like you would settle if you chose either one of those?