SOP intro- Is stating what program your applying to necessary?

Like the title mentions- Is it pertinent to state the program and school to which you are applying to? I've asked around, but have been getting mixed results!  Some say that it is necessary to state it into the introduction and others have mentioned that it is completely unnecessary because they obviously know! Any suggestions? Thanks!

I started with "My goal is to become ..."

I, however, have a specific paragraph near the end of my SOP that tailors to that program. Why do I choose that program? Which professors there I would like to work for and why.

I was told by multiple people on adcomms not to waste time or space with that but to tailor the SOP to each program. I did that by mentioning connections between my work and people there and connections to other departments that could supplement the department where my fit is not as good. For example, if they didn't have a Caribbeanist I would mention one in a related discipline at that university.

I was confused too, but in the end i found a way to put in a way that is not boring, or at least they won't say (he's repeating known info). I remember one of my professors told me it is important to mention you name/name of program/area on the top of the SOP. Because it might be sent to someone who doesn't have your complete file. I'm not 100% sure if that's true, but I remember some schools asked for such information on the top of the SOP

I did something like this: 

Statement of Purpose

Name: My name

Program of Interest: Name of graduate program (Ex: MS in Electrical Engineering) 

Area of Interest: ....

(insert a horizontal line here, by using MS Word)

Blah blah blah 

Edited by khaled

My SOP kind of started with:

" I am interested in .... because ... therefore I would like to study ... so that I could ... which would permit me to .... which is necessary for my career objective of....The department of .... at the University of... is the ideal venue for research of this sort because...Professor...has agreed to supervise my research and is an excellent fit because...I am an excellent candidate for admission because...during these experiences I became adept at...I have these skills which will help me excel at ..." and on and on and on

In my statements of purpose, I mentioned the names of my programs twice--once when describing my research and possible faculty advisor ("In the ____ program I am interested in..." and in the conclusion, when explaining why I want to study in the program ("I am applying to _____ progam because...")

In my statements of purpose, I mentioned the names of my programs twice--once when describing my research and possible faculty advisor ("In the ____ program I am interested in..." and in the conclusion, when explaining why I want to study in the program ("I am applying to _____ progam because...")

I did something similar with a few direct mentions of the program throughout the SOP as well as one distinct paragraph about my interests and their match with particular professors' research.

Edited by midnight streetlight