BS applied behavioral science vs BS social work

reneegavin

Can someone please tell me the difference between these 2 programs?  A college is offering an Express Program for the BS in applied behavioral sciences.  A large part of it is able to be done online.  I'm just not sure if it is in any way equal to social work.

If your goal is to obtain an MSW in the future, the BS in behavioral sciences will not allow you to pursue a one-year Advanced Standing MSW program. Only students who pursued a BSW from an CSWE-accredited institution are eligible for Advanced Standing programs. If you decide to go the BS in behavioral sciences route anyways, then you will only be eligible for the two-year MSW programs.

Edited by michigan girl

So is the amount of time it would take to get an MSW the only difference?  Would I be able to get the same types of jobs with a bachelor's in applied behavioral science as I would with a bachelor's degree in social work?  The only benefit the ABS offers me is the fact that quite a bit of it can be done online which would allow me to complete it much quicker.

Even with an ABS, you are limited with jobs. Many "online universities" offer this such as Florida tech. In the end even if it is accredited, you will still need to get a certificate if you want to be on a higher pay level working with individuals with autism (I mention autism since it is based on behavioral work and it is actually on the higher pay level and it is now covered through insurance). Since it is a BS, you will need approx. 1-2 years of supervised fieldwork depending on how's my hours you work before you can take your BCABA certification exam. If you had your masters already you would take the BCBA. Your pay level will significantly increase with these certificates and your job offers increases but don't think these exams are easy. They are very difficult.

So is the amount of time it would take to get an MSW the only difference? Would I be able to get the same types of jobs with a bachelor's in applied behavioral science as I would with a bachelor's degree in social work? The only benefit the ABS offers me is the fact that quite a bit of it can be done online which would allow me to complete it much quicker.

• 2 weeks later...

I got my B.S. in Behavioral Sciences and am now in a MSW program. I don't think it affected my chances of getting in or anything, but I did go to a regionally accredited university and had strong experience in the field (as you do).