SOP Formula

kdavid

From what I've researched, most schools want SOPs somewhere between 1 - 3 pages.

I was wondering how many words / what percentage of this people are dedicating to illuminating various aspects of one's application. For example:

Personal background, history (general)

Academic history and (previous) scholarship

Prospective research projects

Foreign language experience

Work experience

What else am I missing?

From what I've researched, most schools want SOPs somewhere between 1 - 3 pages.

I was wondering how many words / what percentage of this people are dedicating to illuminating various aspects of one's application. For example:

Work experience

What else am I missing?

Hi KDavid ---

I sent you a PM.

You want to follow the prompt for the statement of purpose, and if there are any questions, to answer them directly and fully. The criteria that you listed can vary: Some programs require you to talk about your personal background while others may only be interested in your reasons for entering the program. There is overlap in the two prompts that I gave, but regardless, you do have some freedom in what to include.

Really, though, you don't want to repeat anything that's in your application (like your GPA) in your statement of purpose. You can elaborate on relavent work experience and research, but that's about it.

But to add to your list:

-How you became interested in your field

-Faculty you want to work with (name at least two and explain why you want to work with them)

I've been told "the formula" is

First 2 paragraphs written like a Journal Article (showing your knowledge on a particular historical question).  Second 2 paragraphs on how and why you aim to probe deeper.  Final 2 paragraphs on your past experiences/preparation to complete the task you have outlined and on why you have chosen to apply to that school.  

I was accepted at 3 of the 7 schools I applied to but none were pure history (all multidisciplinary or interdisciplinary).  So, take my words with a grain of salt.  

Work experience

What else am I missing?

There is a prompt on every department's website and while the requirements remain generally consistent across different schools, pay attention to the specificity of the prompt. For example, UC Santa Cruz asks for a personal history statement so you will not need to incorporate that information into you SOP, NYU requires double-spaced SOP and just address several specific information that the department is interested in knowing, etc. So don't reply too much on formula and be flexible. One thing I would add to your list would be a brief discussion of a theory or historical figure that influenced your ideology, and how you are going to use that to guide your research (If that is what you meant by academic history and scholarship, excuse me for the extra info)  

• 2 weeks later...

Beyond the advice given about reading the prompt, I don't know to what degree a simple "formula" works.  I started with a anecdote about a case I worked on at a lawfirm(as a paralegal) where our client was an attacked prisoner, who was saved by other prisoners, and used this as segway to why I study the historical subjects I do and what type of projects I would be interested in, then (and this really should be apart of your sop) what/who you want to use at the University you are applying to.  This was changed based on specific programs demands.  Your SOP should not be a list of attributes/accomplishments) that is what your C/V and transcripts are for (literally), it should make you stand out as an individual and give a sense of who you are.  Ultimately people are trying to decide if they would like to work with you for 5-10 years, and the SOP is where you get a chance to give people a sense of why they might want to bring you into their department.

Beyond the advice given about reading the prompt, I don't know to what degree a simple "formula" works.  I started with a anecdote about a case I worked on at a lawfirm(as a paralegal) where our client was an attacked prisoner, who was saved by other prisoners, and used this as segway to why I study the historical subjects I do and what type of projects I would be interested in, then (and this really should be apart of your sop) what/who you want to use at the University you are applying to.  This was changed based on specific programs demands.  Your SOP should not be a list of attributes/accomplishments) that is what your C/V and transcripts are for (literally), it should make you stand out as an individual and give a sense of who you are.  Ultimately people are trying to decide if they would like to work with you for 5-10 years, and the SOP is where you get a chance to give people a sense of why they might want to bring you into their department.

Agreed that you want to write in your voice; don't be too stuffy, or, relatedly, as a former professor advised me, "Don't make it sound like you have everything all figured out." Be yourself: which is someone with a lot of training ahead of them. But I don't think personal stories are necessary; that you are personally there behind your research questions and proposals is. They want you to be a good researcher and historian above all else. I just feel personal stories might sometimes feel too forced, but if you have a really good one -- go for it. For me, I mentioned why I went back to school for history, because I felt I had to explain this, & also thought it'd work doubly to show how personally committed I was. The rest was my experience doing research -- but really that was just a bridge to ask questions and present what I wanted to do in my next phase of research (which was somewhat of a departure, but not totally, from my former work). So I'm there, asking those questions -- but it's the questions that really matter the most.

Lafayette:  I agree, and while I won't reproduce it here, I only did a personal story as an expression of an ideological approach to history, not a I love history because... type of story.  Also congrats on heading to Princeton, best of luck.  It also connected to who I want to be as a scholar, in the sense that I want to teach in prisons in my spare time (something I have been lazy about)

With regard to the question of personal stories, I would add that my MA advisor -- also the graduate coordinator -- told me that beginning a SOP with a personal story is an eye-roll inducing cliche.  Especially stories in the vein of "I learned my love of history at an early age, listening to my grandfather's stories..."  Like Lafayette above, I included personal history that explained my reasons for returning to school, and to explain my less-than-stellar undergraduate record.  But that only comprised a small part of my SOP.  I would agree that the letter's primary focus should be on your interests and on any projects that you are bringing to the table.