Choosing courses for references...strategies?

Yetanotherdegree

I've been looking at the course list for next fall and there are more courses that I want to take than hours in which to take them :)

Anyway, assuming that the courses themselves are interesting and relevant, what sorts of courses lead to better or worse references for someone who plans on applying for doctoral programs in the fall?

Is it better to take courses with more senior faculty? Does the level matter (assuming it's not an introductory course?) And are some courses more or less helpful for this?

There are so many great choices!

Take courses from people doing the kind of work you want to do, who are colleagues with the people you want to work with at the doctoral level, and who you think would write you good letters. If you can do both an introductory course and more advanced level (perhaps doctoral seminar) I would recommend that. The introductory course would allow you to demonstrate that you are head and shoulders above the other students (hey it's a reality), while a doctoral seminar allows you to demonstrate you can keep up with the best. Seminars tend to be better because they give you more face time and general interaction with the professor, but if it's a lecture where the professor leads a discussion session that could work just as well. 

My two cents.

As a graduating undergrad senior in an analytic-heavy philosophy program, I din't have much interaction with my religious studies profs (I'm a RELS minor) when it came time to get letters. I chose professors whose classes I did really well in irrespective of the subject matter. For instance, one of my strongest letters for my religious studies M.A. applications came from a professor with whom I took Inductive Logic and Philosophical Naturalism. Find professors who can speak to your capacity to write well, your maturity, and the depth of thought and insight you bring to discussions. The subject matter of the courses (in my own anecdotal experience) matters somewhat less. 

As far as 'level' of faculty, I selected three tenured profs (from philosophy, religious studies, and history) and one lecturer who's strengths most closely match my own, and who's course in Indian Philosophy I did very well in. Again, I think it really comes down to well you grow and perform in courses, and not the status or discipline of the professor. 

Edited by Samahito

I think it's more important to try to get profs in your specific area when applying for PhDs. I second 11Q13's advice about seminars. And if you will be applying in your second fall semester of your master's program, then it would be especially useful to get those seminars in during the spring semester of your first year.