What dose it mean? acceptance or not?

Lightguider

I wrote to the program direct for the application result. He replied as follow:

Thank you very much for your interest in our program. The Admissions committee has evaluated your application and a decision has been recommended to the Graduate School. You will receive an official notification from the Graduate School shortly.

What does it mean?  Am I accepted ?

I am NOT a Debbie Downer, but I just want to throw my two cents in: "a decision has been recommended to the Graduate School" is a bit vague.Most acceptances say " we have reccommended you for acceptance to the Graduate School"

While their recommendation could have been an acceptance, which I hope it is, they also have to notify the GS of other decisions too.

Good Luck!!!

This does not sound like a  acceptance or rejection. As Dexterchi stated they will normally say "we have recommended you for acceptance to the Graduate School" -- it will be very clear if they have decided to accept or reject you in an informal admission notification. I would call the program and ask. Even when receiving a rejection, you will normally receive a notification stating a decision has been made on your application and that you will receive official notification from the graduate school in the mail.

Edited by nesw4314

This does not sound like a  acceptance or rejection. As Dexterchi stated they will normally say "we have recommended you for acceptance to the Graduate School" -- it will be very clearly if they have decided to accept or reject you in an informal admission notification. I would call the program and ask. Even when receiving a rejection, you will normally receive a notification stating a decision has been made on your application and that you will receive official notification from the graduate school in the mail.

having your app forward to the school of grad studies is usually a pretty good indication of admission. apps are only denied if there are irregularities.

Unfortunately I would have to agree with the others who said that this might not mean acceptance for two reasons:

1. If the OP was admitted, the wording would usually be "we have recommended you for acceptance....." instead of simply just saying that they have forwarded a decision to the graduate school. The Department must inform the Graduate School of both acceptances and rejections. This is why you might get a rejection twice -- a Department may immediately email the applicant to tell them the bad news when they forward that decision to the Graduate School. Then, a few days later, the decision from the Department is processed and the Graduate School does their rejection notification (i.e. they send their own email, or snail mail, or update the online status checker thingy). This is also part of the reason why it might take longer to hear bad news than good news (especially if the department decides to just let the Graduate School be the bearer of bad news). 

2. I would be slightly more optimistic if the Graduate Director had just emailed the OP directly, instead of having the OP ask the question first! This sounds like the standard response they copy and paste for everyone who asks them this question before they are ready to reveal their decisions.

I'm not saying that the email meant rejection, but I'm just not sure it's an informal acceptance! Like selecttext says, the graduate school approval is just a formality so usually an informal acceptance will be more congratulatory than this!

having your app forward to the school of grad studies is usually a pretty good indication of admission. apps are only denied if there are irregularities.

That is not true. For all rejections I've heard of the notification comes from the graduate division, as well as the department. The dean of the graduate school notified me of my rejection from UC Riverside, as was the case with others involving other schools.

Edited by nesw4314