Re-applying: A second chance

I am starting this thread for those of us who have applied more than once, or will need to apply again during the next application season. This is a place to share your feelings, frustrations, success stories, and plans for the future.

After being placed on 3 waitlists, I am very aware of the possibility of applying again. I am thinking of reapplying to a few of the schools I previously applied to. However, I am now beginning to look into programs with a better fit/better chance of being accepted. I am also figuring out how to strengthen my application for next season. 

Hi jmarti37. I'm obviously here by proxy (i relate trends/feedback/commentary on here back to the actual SLP applicant, but i'm much more type A than he is so my lurking seems to be more to assuage my own anxiety about where our family's future is headed! ... anyway...) but I'm kind of baffled by his dual rejections so far. I'm thinking, aside from his GRE AW score (which i've stressed over enough elsewhere), the only thing he can do to strengthen his application is change up his LOR writers and have more people go over his SOP with a fine-toothed comb. What are you looking to do to strengthen your app?

Hi jmarti37. I'm obviously here by proxy (i relate trends/feedback/commentary on here back to the actual SLP applicant, but i'm much more type A than he is so my lurking seems to be more to assuage my own anxiety about where our family's future is headed! ... anyway...) but I'm kind of baffled by his dual rejections so far. I'm thinking, aside from his GRE AW score (which i've stressed over enough elsewhere), the only thing he can do to strengthen his application is change up his LOR writers and have more people go over his SOP with a fine-toothed comb. What are you looking to do to strengthen your app?

I am planning on changing my LOR writers as well. It seems as though the letters written this time were not as helpful as I'd hoped. I am also planning on doing some related volunteer work, as I believe that was a missing component of my app. I had a lot of leadership roles, but not a lot of hands on time.

I wish there were a way to assess the contents of the LORs (other than to not waive the right to look at it, ha). One person he asked very frankly said that she didn't remember much of his work from her class, which was fine - better no recommendation than a lukewarm one!

Do you have any experience in the field? All the feedback he received seemed to indicate that 3+ years working in SPED (with plenty of overlap with autism/SLP services, he's a one-on-one) would be sufficient to show his interest and dedication, but now he's wondering if he should be trying to get more direct experience working/volunteering under an SLP.

I wish there were a way to assess the contents of the LORs (other than to not waive the right to look at it, ha). One person he asked very frankly said that she didn't remember much of his work from her class, which was fine - better no recommendation than a lukewarm one!

Do you have any experience in the field? All the feedback he received seemed to indicate that 3+ years working in SPED (with plenty of overlap with autism/SLP services, he's a one-on-one) would be sufficient to show his interest and dedication, but now he's wondering if he should be trying to get more direct experience working/volunteering under an SLP.

I didn't really have any direct experience. I was told that my double major, specific interests, GPA, and leadership roles would be sufficient. However, I am now seeing that this is not the case.

All advice I've garnered from TGC indicated that related volunteer experience was a good way to strengthen an application.

Hey, just wondering when did USF start their waitlisting? And I also recommend looking for an SLP-A job in case you have to sit out a year and retaking some classes that could help bring up your GPA.

Hey, just wondering when did USF start their waitlisting? And I also recommend looking for an SLP-A job in case you have to sit out a year and retaking some classes that could help bring up your GPA.

Apparently, anyone who has not heard from USF at this point is waitlisted. There's about 300 of us :P

Unfortunately, my state does not permit SLP-A's, and the lowest grade on my transcript is a B+, so there isn't much for me to re-take. 

caterpillar, I can't remember if you answered this before, but are you able to apply to schools in states other than CA and WA? From everything I've gathered here and in the LJ SLP community, all of the CA public schools are extremely competitive, and as a top-ranked program that is also the only SLP option near a major city, UW is extremely competitive as well.

Western Washington, Portland State, and OSU might be good options in the Pacific Northwest, and it might be worth giving private schools in CA a shot.

Best of luck to your husband and family!

Edited by midnight streetlight

Apparently, anyone who has not heard from USF at this point is waitlisted. There's about 300 of us :P

Unfortunately, my state does not permit SLP-A's, and the lowest grade on my transcript is a B+, so there isn't much for me to re-take. 

jmarti, again, I may have asked this before, and if I did I apologize, but my memory isn't so good: Have you considered retaking the GRE? I think I remember you stating that you had a good score, but it still might strengthen your app or make you stand out if you raise it a few points, though I know taking the GRE is time-consuming, expensive, and not a good time.

jmarti, again, I may have asked this before, and if I did I apologize, but my memory isn't so good: Have you considered retaking the GRE? I think I remember you stating that you had a good score, but it still might strengthen your app or make you stand out if you raise it a few points, though I know taking the GRE is time-consuming, expensive, and not a good time.

That is part of my plan! Although now I am unsure of what a "good" score actually is. Do you have any insight?

caterpillar, I can't remember if you answered this before, but are you able to apply to schools in states other than CA and WA? From everything I've gathered here and in the LJ SLP community, all of the CA public schools are extremely competitive, and as a top-ranked program that is also the only SLP option near a major city, UW is extremely competitive as well.

Western Washington, Portland State, and OSU might be good options in the Pacific Northwest, and it might be worth giving private schools in CA a shot.

Best of luck to your husband and family!

We're somewhat geographically limited - we've lived in the Portland metro (on the WA side of the Columbia river, though) for almost three years now, and some recent experiences have really driven home our desire to live in an area with some social support, eg. family/friends. 

His tentative list for next year, based on areas that we have family/friends in, includes all three AZ schools, all of the SF Bay Area schools, and probably Sacramento State. I'm not sure if this will help though, as (like you said!) almost all of those schools are super competitive, other than perhaps NAU? 

We've had a few discussions about whether or not it's feasible to look at "less desirable" schools in the midwest that might be less competitive, but haven't really reached a consensus when balancing against the cost of moving a 5 person household halfway across the country. :) If anyone has any input, I'm happy to hear it (I'm the longterm planner of the family) and happy to pass it along to him, as well.

That is part of my plan! Although now I am unsure of what a "good" score actually is. Do you have any insight?

It's tricky because schools like UVA say that they prefer scores of 150 or over, which I know you have, but I think the reality is different when all of the highly qualified apps roll in, you know? Many schools seem to expect or prefer somewhat higher scores. According to Boulder's information for out-of-field applicants (which is probably already outdated), their average GRE score was 308.

I think to stand out, it's probably best to be aiming for 155+ in each section if possible and a 4.5 or higher on the AW. However, I only scored 150 on the quant section, so I think my verbal score of 164 helped me quite a bit.

We're somewhat geographically limited - we've lived in the Portland metro (on the WA side of the Columbia river, though) for almost three years now, and some recent experiences have really driven home our desire to live in an area with some social support, eg. family/friends. 

His tentative list for next year, based on areas that we have family/friends in, includes all three AZ schools, all of the SF Bay Area schools, and probably Sacramento State. I'm not sure if this will help though, as (like you said!) almost all of those schools are super competitive, other than perhaps NAU? 

We've had a few discussions about whether or not it's feasible to look at "less desirable" schools in the midwest that might be less competitive, but haven't really reached a consensus when balancing against the cost of moving a 5 person household halfway across the country. :) If anyone has any input, I'm happy to hear it (I'm the longterm planner of the family) and happy to pass it along to him, as well.

I hope people here can give you more info on Midwestern schools. I've seen several people here who have been pleasantly surprised by the programs and offerings at schools like Northern Illinois and Eastern Illinois, schools that people from outside those regions likely don't know much about or wouldn't consider.

I think NAU sounds like a great option, and Flagstaff (the day I drove through it anyway, haha!) is lovely.

I'm also just a bit stressed when it comes to choosing new programs to apply to. How can you even tell if a program is good or not? I felt like the U.S. News rankings were my best bet, but now I believe they are flawed.  :wacko:

I'm also just a bit stressed when it comes to choosing new programs to apply to. How can you even tell if a program is good or not? I felt like the U.S. News rankings were my best bet, but now I believe they are flawed.  :wacko:

It's probably best to ignore the rankings and check the schools' websites for program information and anything that's related to your interests.

This sort of thing seems perfect for you: http://cdswebserver.med.buffalo.edu/drupal/?q=node/255

It might take a bit of research and digging around to put your list together if you need to reapply, but you have some time.

ASHA edfind is one thing you could use to look up different schools average GRE and GPA, how much apply, and how much gets accepted

Unfortunately a lot of the EdFind data, mainly in regard to stats and applicant numbers, is outdated, inaccurate, or for some of the schools, nonexistent. :(

Unfortunately a lot of the EdFind data, mainly in regard to stats and applicant numbers, is outdated, inaccurate, or for some of the schools, nonexistent. :(

This is a problem I have already experienced during this application process. EdFind really hasn't been too reliable. 

(Sorry I don't know how to click reply because I'm new to this) But, midnight streetlight you are right :/ That's why I too found myself spending countless hours searching around google for more information.

I don't know if a PhD is something you want to consider, but there are rankings from The Chronicle of Higher Ed that in my opinion are more thorough than the US News survey cards. For example, ECU is like #131 in US News, but #6 in the Chronicle of Higher Ed, which focuses on research, which I remember you mentioning on another post. So, don't always trust US News, as its methods are VERY flawed (I tried to start a post on this subject like last week and no one bit).

One thing to look at to find your fit- it takes time, however- look at course schedules to see what professors teach which of the masters courses and who advises theses. Ten, look at their research interests. Just because there is a Cochlear implant lab doesn't necessarily mean that as a masters student you will have the chance to work in it or work with that professor, unfortunately. At the school that I was honored to be chosen for admission (and. I am still in a state of shock!), all of the profs teaching the masters courses are also the masters thesis advisors, and their research interests match every single interest I stated in my SOP and have additional related topics that I would like to learn more about. You have to look for the visitors access to the course scheduling system, but most schools offer that, it just takes time to find it (or hack it, as the case may be, LOL).

One thing to look at to find your fit- it takes time, however- look at course schedules to see what professors teach which of the masters courses and who advises theses. Ten, look at their research interests. Just because there is a Cochlear implant lab doesn't necessarily mean that as a masters student you will have the chance to work in it or work with that professor, unfortunately.

For Buffalo (which is just one example that I quickly found via Google--I don't even know if jmarti is interested in this school, haha), it looks like the clinic does allow for diverse and specific opportunities and is considerate of students' interests and goals:

http://cdswebserver.med.buffalo.edu/drupal/?q=node/126

I think it's a good idea to communicate with programs directly and ask questions about their clinics, curricula, research opportunities, etc., and it's very important to discuss specific interests as well as specific professors and their research in your SOP.

Hey! I completely agree with everything said. I am currently in the same position...I've received 6 rejections and 1 waitlist so far. I'm not holding out hope for this time. It's unfortunate because the reason why I think that I didn't get in is because of my GPA. My cumulative is only a 3.2 because when I was a freshman, I stopped going to school (why I didn't just drop the classes and start over the next semester, I may not ever know) and failed 4 classes, thus dropping my GPA substantially. I've done nothing but raise my GPA, never received lower than a B+ in a comsdis class and have been on the dean's list since last year. So needless to say I've worked my butt off to make up for that one bad semester 5 years ago. I wrote about this in my personal statement. I'm well aware that my stats are lower but I never imagined to not get in anywhere.

Regarding reapplying, I need to make up my mind. I've looked into alternatives, all of which include applying for alternative programs (special education or nursing). Part of me just wants to take the year off and reapply next year but that scares me. I would re-take my GRE since mine was just average. I've been members of clubs, done research assistance, volunteered at a therapy horse farm for the developmentally disabled, and worked with children on the autism spectrum for 2 years. I don't know what else I could do to make my application stronger. I don't think there are SLPA's in Wisconsin (anyone know how I can find this out for sure?) so that's not an option. I was also thinking about taking ASL courses if I do end of taking the year off. The other reason why I don't know what to do is because I'm scared of having to start paying back all my loans after the 6 month deferrment date is over. I know this is a lame reason to be confused but it's something that I have to consider in my position.

Whew, that was long, but I just need somewhere where people understand what I'm going through. This is a scary time that I never thought that I would be in.