Moving Across the Country

Tip for those flying to your destination: jam all of your really heavy stuff (for me it was records and a typewriter) into your carry-on. Some uptight staff might try and weigh your carry-on but mine was small enough that they didn't bother. I was able to get more into my check-in suitcases and still come in under the weight allowance.

Also, laptop bags and purses/"murses" typically don't count as carry-ons either, so stuff some heavy items in there too! I got away with bringing a laptop bag and a big chunky murse with me, which essentially equaled another full luggage.

I'm pretty sure most airlines charge for the first check-in bag now but I believe there are still one or two out there (names not coming to me at the moment) that give you one for free. 

Tip from someone who's moved across the country before and will be doing it again: you can ship your books across the country cheap through media mail, which is reserved for "educational materials." It takes them longer to get to the destination and the boxes will probably arrive (1) a little beaten up and (2) not all at the same time, but if you're okay with that, it's a really nice way to save room in a car or suitcase and get to keep some of your belongings.

Here's another tip: if you are driving across the country via the Northern route, take a detour through South Dakota. With Custer State Park, Badlands, Mount Rushmore, Sioux Falls, and Crazy Horse, South Dakofa far more beautiful than it has any right to be. Plus, Wall Drug is a trip.

Also, we got some all-natural, non-narcotic anti-anxiety meds for the dog; they were a lifesaver. Ask your vet if they can help you out!

Here's another tip: if you are driving across the country via the Northern route, take a detour through South Dakota. With Custer State Park, Badlands, Mount Rushmore, Sioux Falls, and Crazy Horse, South Dakofa far more beautiful than it has any right to be. Plus, Wall Drug is a trip.

I'm not even moving anywhere and this is making me want to take a road trip to South Dakota.

I love Wall-Drug. There's nothing better than sitting on a giant jackalope for a great photo opportunity! :)

I'm planning on moving with some cats and figuring out those logistics is very interesting.. haha. Between first month deposit/security deposit/ and moving expenses... I can't imagine how I'm going to afford this business. Thank goodness for a tax refund :unsure:

Different airlines have different baggage policies, which you should look into if flying. Southwest gives you 2 free checked bags, each up to 50lbs. Other airlines charge for each checked bag. If at all possible, try to get a friend to come out with you, to help you move. That friend packs all their stuff in a carry-on, and then can check a bag or two for you as well. Greyhound also has fairly reasonable freight charges.