Bags for women

pandaloo

I bought a Timbuk2 tote several years ago from the REI.com outlet, and love it. It's waterproof, which is great when I have to walk in the rain to/from the bus. It came with a luggage strap, so I carry it like a messanger bag most of the time, but can carry it as a shoulder/tote when I need to look a little more polished. I went with a blue/gray color scheme - it isn't especially dressy, but is simple enough to work in most situations. I wouldn't carry it to an interview, but have no problem toting it around conferences and professional meetings.

I also have a North Face bookbag, purchased mostly to use as a carryon for long plane trips. I plan to use it for school during the first two years when my schedule is course work heavy, and light on everything else.

I just have a regular messenger bag and backpack, both SwissGear.  I've had really good luck with SwissGear in the past: they hold up well and don't wear too much, aren't too expensive, and look fairly nice (just not formal).  If I carry my computer (and I rarely do, because it's nice and I'm paranoid) then I use a sturdier computer case.  The messenger style case isn't anything special, but it was free with my first ever laptop and I never shelled out money for a new one.

Anyone got a timbuk2 swig or timbuk2 ram? Standing tall (!) at 5', I'm looking for a smaller, understated backpack. And if I ever got $$$ to splurge, this would be it http://www.hardgraft.com/products/back2back-allgrey

I have the Q backpack

http://www.timbuk2.com/tb2/products/q-backpack/2503651

I really like it. It's a good size, not too big not too small, and fits my macbook air, gym clothes and shoes, and some small books.