Full-time summer internship while on NSF GRFP tenure?

wholemilklattes

Hi everyone,

I received an NSF fellowship for 2012-2015, which started in the fall of 2012. I recently received an offer for an industry internship for the summer of 2013. I understand that I will need to forfeit my NSF fellowship stipend for the months that I am working. I was wondering if anyone here has had experience filing for forfeit status, and what that entails in terms of full-time enrollment status, etc? Any insight would be much appreciated.

Thank you very much! :)

Are you sure you have to forfeit? I just applied for the EIFP intership program and it is perfectly fine to take that internship while on tenure. From what I understand, we are on tenure or reserve for yearly blocks at a time. I didn't think you could even make changes once you declare your tenure status. Last year, my advisor wanted to fund me and let me go on reserve (this was a few months after my tenure declaration) and I was told that I couldn't make any changes.

I don't know that they do too much checking, unless your internship is funded through a federal grant.  I have heard of people who get into other NSF programs in the summer (NSF EASPI) having to use those funds as opposed to their NSF GRFP.  I've worked during several summers while on tenure; I think in the official rules, you're allowed outside employment/internship/whatever, if it furthers your research endeavor, but I've never heard of anyone having to actually get approval from NSF.  From your program, yes, but not NSF.

I'm also interested in knowing this. I majorly lucked out in getting the NSF GRF this year and am very afraid it will somehow get rescinded. :(

I'd like to go abroad to do research at another university for the summer. My adviser tells me I can do this while on my tenure, but I can't find confirmation of this on the NSF GRFP website.

I would gladly delay my start of tenure until September if there's any sort of chance of trouble with my fellowship....

NSF has an international opportunity called GROW (graduate research opportunities worldwide). That is certainly NSF approved, as is the EIFP. But when I attended the new GRFP fellows orientation, our presenter basicallly told us that they don't check up on that. So clearly, if it is related to your research, you can justify it.

Yes. It was at my university. I'm almost sure it's common. If you haven't already, you should be getting a congratulations letter from your university and more information about the orientation. They may wait a bit to give folks a chance to hear from all other fellowships and confirm.  By the way, congratulations!