Pros/Cons of History + MLS or History + Archives Science dual degrees??

Hi all!

(reposted my same post from the History forum here, for another perspective)

Just wondering if anyone has insightful input into experiences they've had or heard about regarding dual programs for History and Library Science or Archives? (Yes I know LS and Archives are drastically different but I am interested in both for different reasons)

I don't want this post to be about me or my chances, so I'll just say I would be happy in a History MA program but  happier pairing it with another field of skills that I am also very interested in. I am leaning more towards these specialized fields within LS & Archives: Digital Archives, Digital [anything], e-Government. I know some MLS programs have a simple specialization in Archives [and/or Records Management], so that route is also an option.

Trying to weigh which type of programs I'm interested in to apply this fall. How do you guys like your dual programs like this? Pros? Cons? Good bad and ugly? Do you know stories of what people end up doing after receiving dual-degress (whether it helps in the Library/Archives field to add the history aspect? Vice versa?)

Any freeform advice is hugely appreciated! Thanks in advance!!

• 2 weeks later...

I found myself having the same debate between a straight archives (or information studies) program and a dual degree. I can't give you any hard facts or advice from experience, but I will say, this application season I seriously considered the Archives/History Dual Degree program at Simmons. I had a couple of conversations with the heads of both departments and they were really wonderful. I immediately felt comfortable with them and it really sounded like my research interests, etc. would have been supported there. An interview (or two) is required as a part of the application, because they try to make sure incoming students are really right for the program. It is also a pretty small, intimate program; a lot of individual attention is given to each student (so they described in the interviews). 

It sounds like you are more interested in archives as opposed to library science? I haven't done too much research on the latter.. in any event, Simmons is very strong in archives--it is actually "number one" in Archives and Preservation according to the 2013 US News & World Report--and I believe, it is strong in Library Science as well. The history program, however, is relatively small. It worked for me because I study (studied as an undergrad) cultural/intellectual history and focus mainly on American and French. But if you are studying Medieval or Classical, they program might not be broad or established enough for you. 

I absolutely see the value in complementing the history degree with the professional degree of ARM, or vice versa. If you want to study digital technologies, I would definitely take a look at Michigan or Texas, as they place a strong emphasis on technology--although, so many of the library science or information studies programs are seriously strong with emerging technologies these days. Another thing to consider is many programs actually encourage you to take your electives from other departments, so you could supplement a straight MLIS or MSIS with history coursework, or get position as a research assistant with the history department. 

I'm pretty sure UNC has an Archives/Public History program and I know Maryland offers an Archives/History dual degree. One thing to keep in mind is that usually you must be admitted to both departments independent of one another  Also, I missed the deadline for Maryland this past year because the while the MLIS deadline was something like February 01, the dual degree program deadline coincided with the history deadline, which was December 01. It's not always so clear on the websites, but maybe you're more observant than I am! 

ANYWAY, hopefully you find some of this useful, and I haven't just ranted. Sorry for the inconsistent grammar!  :wacko:

Another thing--if you see work in archives/special collections/humanities research center, or what not in your future, a dual degree might just be that thing that puts you ahead of the crowd of other applicants. I have seen a ton of upper-level job postings that are looking for a MLIS or MSIS, but would prefer it to be coupled with a second masters in a related discipline (aka history, art history, american studies, etc.). Just saying!

I am starting my MA/MLIS at Maryland this fall, so I can offer a few pointers.

1) It definitely does help with employability

2) It is true that most of the time you have to apply separately. This can get ridiculously expensive, fast. For example, at Indiana and IUPUI where there is a MA/MLIS in either History or Public History and Library Science or Archives, you have to apply to each department separate and send GRE scores separately. That meant the $55 (I think) application fee x2 for Indiana and then x2 for IUPUI

3) Maryland has one application. It's through the iSchool and is called HiLS (pronounced hills, not HiLS). As I've experienced so far you work through the iSchool mostly, although you are definitely in contact with the History Department.

4) Some universities are better at the dual degree than others. Chapel Hill for example - you take your Archives classes at Chapel Hill and your Public History classes at North Carolina State which is in Raleigh. Granted, Chapel Hill and Raleigh are like, half an hour from each other in traffic, but still. It's not so much a dual degree as it is a joint degree.

If anyone wants more info about Maryland, I'd be happy to share!

I haven't gone to grad school yet, but I work in an academic library, and I used to work in the NYU archives (NYU has an archives/public history degree), and most of the people I work with have done some combination of MA History/MLS/MA Archives. Here is what I have gleaned:

1. A dual degree is usually twice as expensive. If you have the option of going somewhere and paying in-state tuition, do it.

2. An MA History/MLS dual degree seems to be a pretty useful combination. If you want to work in academic/research libraries, it's basically required to have two masters degrees, and more and more places seem to be hiring people with two masters instead of just an MLS. It also gives you a good option of being able to work in libraries in academia for a while and decide if you want to go back for a PhD in history eventually.  Also, you could do an archives certificate/concentration.

Also, most courses for your MLS will be boring (so I hear), so it would be nice to be also studying history, which is more interesting.

3. I used to work with a lot of people who taught at or attended NYU's Archives and Public History MA. It's a pretty fun program, everyone seems to enjoy it, lots of fun/cool/interesting classes and they emphasize digital history. However, a lot of graduates from it have had a hard time finding jobs because they don't technically have an MLS, even though they basically know everything that they would have learned in an MLS program. NYU also has the option of doing an MA in anything with an MLS from LIU, and people who do that seem to be more or less successful, lots of post-grad fellowships and things, but big big $$$$$.

Hope that helps!

I'd love others thoughts on this as well...I'm finishing up my undergrad and considering grad school for next year (spring or fall 2014).  My BA will be in history and as I'm writing my thesis I'm realizing I love the research aspect even more than I thought.  I've been interested in archives for a while but there is just SO MUCH I think sounds interesting I'd really like to hear other people's thoughts.

Unfortunately, the school I could go to in-state doesn't have a dual MA History/MLS degree.

• 3 months later...

Hey, I found myself in exactly your position. I just finished my Undergrad in History, and i too wish to pursue a career in archiving. My plan was to enroll in a History MA Program, which i did, then pursue an Archiving certification. I was accepted to both programs… since the archiving Certification was only four courses i figured i could knock two out in the summer and two in the fall at school number 1 while i take a Class at school number 2. Everything was going well until i received a call from school number 1; apparently, they do not offer the certificate to students who do not possesses a LIS or MLIS degree, although their website stated otherwise. I searched around for schools that offered a Certification in archiving without require a MLS, but i did not have much luck. East Tennessee State University has a certification and the only requirement is that you possess a BA for an accredited School. The only setback is the lack of emphasis on digital libraries.    

Edited by NYdave23