Making the Most of a Masters Program

Well I haven't gotten any offers for the PhD, (not too surprising, since I've been out of school for a while and didn't really present a clear focus on my SoP).

Happily, I am getting a few offers for MA programs. Of course, I'm probably going to have to pay, so before I quit my job and go into debt for what might be a real dead end, I'm looking for some input.

For those of you who have completed an MA what are the most important things to accomplish? Should I take classes broadly or try and work on a narrow concentration? Is publishing something expected? What should my goals be going in to the MA?

When I did my M.A., I definitely tried to make the rounds of all the available resources. I think the success with my Ph.D. applications now is a direct result of my M.A. work... my LoRs and my writing sample were products of my program.

Make sure to try and participate in all the departmental events, even if they seem doctoral student-exclusive. Attend workshops and esp. symposia., and if you can, you don't have to present papers at big national conferences or get published (I certainly didn't), but I did present a paper at a departmental symposium (tiny, only about 20 people attended) and submitted a writing sample that was publishable quality. I also think that getting multiple perspectives on applying/schools from professors is key... and use your noggin, if your professors are super optimistic but they are a little bit old age-wise, get some input from the younger faculty members because they are most likely closer in-touch with recent grad school movings.

I second everything JoeyGiraldo said, especially taking advantage of department events and talking with younger professors.

The single most important thing I got from my MA was a MUCH clearer sense of what projects are actually publishable in my field now. Current critical readings were a large part of every reading list, as opposed to the token theory books I was assigned in my undergrad. I would seek out courses that put an emphasis on current scholarly work. For example, while a Renaissance class based on a small set of texts that relate to a specific topic may seem less useful than a survey of Shakespeare, if the former is constructed around a current debate, it's likely to teach you much more about the publishing world, and to result in a paper that will be potentially reworkable for publication (or an excellent writing sample).

I would add that, while it is important to get advice from the younger (closer to grad school) professors, it is good to get an idea from those professors who the players in the program are. Some professors, while not the hot shots in their field, can be particularly connected and thus great candidates for writing your LORs. Ask as many professors as you can for their advice, because it will all be widely different. You can use that input to triangulate a good approach.

One suggestion from one professor to me was that I should put together a short-list of programs and show those to recommenders early on. Ask them if they know anyone in those programs. If you have a program where no one knows anyone, then consider cutting it in favor of a school where you do have some connections (though, obviously this should only be one factor in finding a program).

My field isn't English [it is in humanities, though], but I wanted to offer some advice. I am Canadian, where it is very uncommon to pursue a PhD without an MA. This year, I am applying solely to US schools. I applied to four schools: rejected from two, two remaining.

I had a blast doing my MA, and took every opportunity I could to broaden my horizons. I'm really glad I did, because, like the other posters who have offered you excellent advice, I matured, greatly, as a scholar. In fact, when a prospective student came to my school, I gave him this very advice, "do everything you can to make the most of your time at [university X]." However, I get irritated by "applicants," on gradcafe, that tell you that "you must have this, or must have that, and if you don't, you're pretty much never going to get into a PhD program." Whenever someone says this, I usually have done it, yet I know others that haven't, and get into the programs to which I am applying.

For some perspective, here are a few of the things I have done:

My undergraduate and graduate GPA's are very good and excellent, respectively.

Excellent LORs.

I was a TA for 2 years (during my MA).

I have two publications: one, a chapter in a book, and two, an editorial piece I wrote for a National organization in my field.

I have three conference presentations: two at National conferences, and one at a regional conference for a National organization.

I have been an invited guest speaker in three university classrooms at two different universities.

I won a grant competition during my MA, from an outside department, to complete an ethnography overseas.

I was second, out of 11 people, in my MA cohort to complete my MA Thesis.

I am super productive and disciplined.

I have numerous awards from undergraduate schooling, too.

I am fluent in French (I grew up in a certain region of Canada) and at a low-intermediate level in German (which are my two doctoral languages).

Like everyone, my application isn't perfect, but I am not omitting any glaring weaknesses. Who knows what schools want? I think there are too many factors* at play, in doctoral admissions, many of which have nothing to do with you, or your qualifications, to be overly confident. In fact, at one school I visited, I think my experience/qualifications hurt me. A conversation I had with 2 graduate students (both of whom were post-bachelor PhDs, not post-MA) and the graduate coordinator, prior to applying, led me to believe that they like to "shape" their graduate students to their school of thought. This was the first school that rejected me.

Long story short, who knows what schools want? Do what you can during you MA to make you a better scholar, not because you want an "edge" that may, or may not, exist. You'll get into the program that's right for you. I also made some great friends, that I miss terribly.

*economy, potential super going on sabbatical next year, they are not taking anyone in your sub-field this year (to name a few)

**and wish me luck on my two remaining schools. One is my dream program!

I know this isn't what you asked, but here it is anyway:

The biggest thing I would have changed about my MA experience would be not having done it. Even though it was mostly funded, I still racked up debt in the remaining tuition and living expenses. Yes, I learned a lot about how to write a graduate paper, how to complete graduate courses, etc., and met some great professors who have been very helpful. But I could have gotten all of that after waiting another year and reapplying to PhD programs. Retake the GREs, if you need to. Definitely re-write your SOP and really, REALLY edit your writing sample. Spend more time on applications and target them towards programs you know you fit at. Ask programs you were rejected from this time what you could have done to improve your application.

I know that, facing a bunch of PhD rejections and a MA acceptance, I thought waiting another year would be the worst thing ever, that reapplying after I had just finished this terrible process would be too painful. It wouldn't have been. You will need to get perfect grades throughout your MA, and your application will be held to such a higher standard, AND some PhD programs (Penn State, off the top of my head) will barely even look at your application if you already have a MA.

Keep working at your job, spend as much time as you possibly can making your applications for next year better than this year, and reapply.

After being out of school for so long, I think I'd have a much better shot at improving my SoP and my writing sample if I were in an MA program.

It's not just the professor's input, but I think working with other students who are very serious about pursuing their interest in Literature would also be extremely helpful. thegradcafe is awesome, but I don't know if it is a substitute for really belonging to a faculty.

Is it worth it to go to an unfunded (rather expensive) MA program with a great reputation? Or, is it better to attend an affordable MA program with a decent reputation? Also, I'm planning to apply to PhD programs after I finish my master's.

I'm finishing up my MA this semester, and for me, it's been invaluable. Coming from a somewhat non-traditional path, and being a tad older than most of my peers, it was especially vital in that it has ensured that this is, in fact, what I want to do with my life.

I spent my first semester taking courses outside of my comfort zone. This was both a good idea and a bad idea; I hated my first semester. But I was able to explore a few periods/areas that were lacking in my undergrad and rule them out as potential specializations. Second semester was hell, too, but only because it was very heavy on the coursework - I was taking two theory + two literature seminars and working part time. I enjoyed my coursework more and it took getting through this semester successfully for me to gain some grad student confidence. This academic year has actually been (gasp) fun. I'm more comfortable and confident and I think/hope that came through in my SoP.

So, for me personally, I can't imagine having gone straight into a PhD program from undergrad. I didn't do any publishing, nor did I give any papers during my MA. But I worked hard, participated in class, wrote the best papers I could muster, and am coming out of my MA with a better sense of who I am as an aspiring scholar - and with the knowledge that a) I want a PhD, and B) I'm capable of it.