PhD vs DrPH

KnightGuy

Why did you decide to apply to one of the programs but not the other? I'm going to be a first year MPH student this fall at UIC and desire to work on policy in the future, and I think I' leaning more towards a PhD. 

Suggestions? 

Why did you decide to apply to one of the programs but not the other? I'm going to be a first year MPH student this fall at UIC and desire to work on policy in the future, and I think I' leaning more towards a PhD. 

Suggestions? 

I am still trying to get into an MPH program yet, but I am seriously looking ahead into doctoral studies. I would like to study Policy & Equity, my favourite program being York University's PhD program. I am also searching for a one year medical anthropology program to throw in between to enhance my personal & scholarly interests  -_- ...

I like the following definition from Columbia Univ. Mailman school of public health's website  http://publichealth.columbia.edu/admissions/drph-ph;

The DrPH and PhD degrees prepare students for careers in academia and other research settings. The DrPH degree is for individuals seeking expertise in the science of application. The PhD degree is for those individuals with research and/or teaching as their goal, where scholarship is represented by the creation of new and innovative knowledge.

• 3 weeks later...

I am still trying to get into an MPH program yet, but I am seriously looking ahead into doctoral studies. I would like to study Policy & Equity, my favourite program being York University's PhD program. I am also searching for a one year medical anthropology program to throw in between to enhance my personal & scholarly interests  -_- ...

I like the following definition from Columbia Univ. Mailman school of public health's website  http://publichealth.columbia.edu/admissions/drph-ph;

The DrPH and PhD degrees prepare students for careers in academia and other research settings. The DrPH degree is for individuals seeking expertise in the science of application. The PhD degree is for those individuals with research and/or teaching as their goal, where scholarship is represented by the creation of new and innovative knowledge.

I am going to start my MPH study this fall and serious considering advance into doctoral study after graduation..

As what Columbia Univ. Mailman School of public health's website says, can I take it as PhD students is more likely to get scholarships or other kinds of finacial help compare with their DrPH counterparts? I can study for a doctoral program if only finacial help available.. :(

I am going to start my MPH study this fall and serious considering advance into doctoral study after graduation..

As what Columbia Univ. Mailman School of public health's website says, can I take it as PhD students is more likely to get scholarships or other kinds of finacial help compare with their DrPH counterparts? I can study for a doctoral program if only finacial help available.. :(

Billie1991yss.

Great to know you are starting your MPH this year, Congrats!  On the issue of scholarship favs. between DrPH and PhD, I would suggest you call Mailman for details...I have often heard that PhD studies are generally better funded that "practice-based" degrees, but thats just from the grapevine! It could also depend on the particular school..I would check with them! Best wishes to you.

We say that, and it sounds good in theory.  In practice, it really depends on the individual student and their goals.  I go to Mailman and I'm getting my PhD here, and I have friends in both programs.  Many of my friends in the DrPH program aspire towards academic careers as researchers and teachers; they want to create knowledge, and they want to innovate within the field.  And many of the PhD students (including myself) want to apply our science to solve real-world public health problems outside of academia.  And in practice, here, DrPH students take the same courses and do much of the same work as PhD students.

I am in sociomedical sciences.  The major differences between the two degrees in my department are 1) the PhD program does not require a prior master's, whereas the DrPH does and 2) in sociomedical sciences, PhD students study in another social science discipline in addition to our department, whereas DrPH students only take public health coursework.  And even that is not the same in all departments - biostatistics and epidemiology both require both DrPH and PhD applicants to have a prior master's.

Because the PhD here can only be awarded by GSAS, whereas the DrPH is awareded by Mailman, there are also some administrative differences.  For example, as a PhD student I am part of the Interuniversity Doctoral Consortium, which means that I can take classes at several other area universities (NYU, CUNY, Princeton, Yale, etc.) and my tuition covers it.  DrPH students cannot do that.  I also can use the resources of the career center at the main campus in addition to the ones at the Mailman campus, whereas technically DrPH students cannot (although in practice CCE events are open to anyone).

I have a friend in my lab who chose the DrPH because she already had an MPH and figured it would take her less time to get to the DrPH than the PhD.  Honestly, by the description given, she should really pursue the PhD and I should be the one after the DrPH.  But I didn't have a prior master's, so PhD it was for me.  I have another friend in biostats who got a DrPH for very similar reasons.  Most of my friends here who chose the DrPH program did so because they had a prior MPH, but not necessarily because they really wanted to get involved in policy and applied work over research.  Honestly, here I can't really tell the difference between who's in which degree program.  We have to ask each other - "Are you DrPH or PhD?"  Nowadays you can also see many public health professors with DrPH degrees.

At other schools, it may be different.  For example, at UGA I get the sense that there actually is a significant difference between their DrPH and PhD programs.  Their DrPH programs emphasize prior public health experience and seem targeted towards experienced professionals.

AS for funding, yes, funding can be different.  There are some fellowships that are open only to PhD students and not DrPH students.  For example, the Ford Foundation is open to PhD students but not to DrPH students (although that will vary; it's technically not open to public health students.  Here PhD students can brand themselves as being in their disciplinary department, but elsewhere at more traditional public health programs, they may also be ineligible).  The NSF fellowships are also not open to DrPH students but are open to PhD students.  However, the most common mechanism of support - the NIH NRSA - is open to DrPH and PhD students.  And both kinds of students here get institutional fellowships.

My advice is to check into each university's specific programs and see which one is the better fit individually.  At some schools, a DrPH may be a better fit; at others, a PhD may be better; and at yet other schools, neither program may be strictly better and you may just arbitrarily choose.

• 2 weeks later...