2013 Audiology Admissions/Waitlist/Rejection

So sorry if there is already a thread like this one--I was only able to find Speech Pathology topics. Any other audis out there, please comment! :)

I am from Canada and applied to the only three programs in the country--at UBC, Western, and Dalhousie. I do not have much hope for an acceptance from Dalhousie or Ontario as I am from Western Canada (Alberta) but I did get onto the waitlist at UBC last week. :) I have been stressing non-stop since! Has anyone else had experience with being wait-listed at UBC? I assume that I have less of a chance of getting in than people say, on a wait list for Speech Language Pathology as the Audiology programs are so small and few in Canada. :(

I am also wondering if it is a good idea to go visit the campus you are wait listed at. Being from Alberta, the airfare isn't too bad. I was thinking of contacting the graduate school secretary for the Speech/Audiology program and setting up a tour and appointment with current facility and students. 

I will be so devastated if I don't get this year but am willing to keep applying until I get in. Being wait listed is a good thing for the next year, right?

Thanks and good luck to everyone in getting accepted to the schools you want! :)

I'm a canadian AUDhopeful too and I was able to find one more canadian applicant on this forum... we've been using the Canadian SLP 2013 thread! I've only applied to UWO tho. Well firstly, I wouldn't give up already. You might be at the top of the waitlist and waitlists for professional usually DO move. As you said there are only three schools in Canada, therefore someone from ontario is likely to apply to the other two as well but their top choice might be the ontario one and they will give up their spot after getting into UWO. So, be patient. Also, why are you saying that you don't have hope of an acceptance from UWO or dalhousie? The Audiology schools in canada do NOT have a preference for applicants from their own province... everyone is treated equally. So, you do have hope and good luck for tomorrow!

Do you mind telling us your gpa? I'm just curious about what the competition is like this year.

Hey Audie! 

So happy to find another of my kind (lol)! Thank you for your words of encouragement--I have not yet heard from UBC where I am on the wait list, but I hope I have a chance. I know that wait lists for professional do move, but my concern is that there are so few spots in Canada. Fingers crossed.

About Ontario and Dalhousie, I did read on the Canadian SLP 2011 thread that Dalhousie has a strong preference for students from the Maritime provinces. I am not sure about Ontario to be honest, but my application was not as great as my one for UBC (I had another month to work on my UBC one and started my applications late as I was not sure I wanted to apply this year). It also seems that Ontario has a preference for applications with a Communications Disorders undergrad, which I did not take. 

My cGPA was only 3.09 and my GPA in my last two years was 3.4. My major GPA is somewhere around 3.7. I am really counting on my personal experience as a bilateral CI user, two years of experience as a research assistant and relevant volunteer experience in the field. 

Thank you and GOOD LUCK to you tomorrow as well! :)

I didn't get in to UWO :(. Just what I was expecting, given my not so stellar GPA. But I so hope that you two got in!! :)

I'm sorry :( 

I actually have not applied to Aud, I'm in SLP. I guess I'm just nosy poking around this thread. I'm likely going to UBC in the fall for SLP (so far it's the only place I've been accepted). Aud and SLP students take courses together there. I hope you get off the waitlist there... People with actual experience (versus just a nice GPA) bring so much to the class! 

I think I am going to email Sue and see if I can set up a tour at the school. I figure it can't hurt to put a face to the name, right? 

Doesn't hurt to ask I guess! 

Being wait listed is a good thing for the next year, right?

DeafAudi,

I am waitlisted for SLP UWO.

So, does it mean that they know who was on the wait list previously and it might help  you to get into the program  next year ?

Or if I am not accepted this year, should I mention in my next year's application that I was  wait listed ?

Thank you so much em.ber and congrats on getting into UWO! :)

luslp, good luck in getting into UWO off of the waitlist. To answer your question, after speaking with my school's graduate laison and inquiring at a few places, it seems that being on the waitlist IS a good thing for the next year. It shows dedication and committment to the program and field. However, it is still important to improve your application as you normally would. If I don't get in this year I plan on upgrading a couple of courses and taking on more research/volunteer work. I'm not sure if you need to include that you were waitlisted the previous year as I think that they will remember names. Of course, hopefuly we both get in this year and don't have to worry about that!

If anything, what are you doing while you are waiting? I'm not sure if UBC welcomes additional contact but I am waiting on a response from the graduate school advisor.

Sorry for the double post but does anyone know when we find out from Dalhousie? It says online during the months of April-May but if UBC and Ontario has already sent out its' acceptances, how will that affect us on the waitlist?

For Dalhousie, I know acceptances have already been send out by mail for SPL so I'm not positive if audiology would have too. On the website it says wait lists and rejections will be sent out in the coming weeks.

Thanks for the update--I was going by the information in their FAQs. That means I wasn't accepted but that's okay as it was my last choice. Congratulations on your acceptance!

Edited by DeafAudi

It looks like everyone on here is applying to Canadian schools, but I'm going to drop in anyway. :) I was accepted to University of Washington, Arizona State, and San Diego State/UC San Diego, and rejected from CU Boulder. I'll be attending University of Washington next year.

Good luck to you all of you still waiting! 

Congrats, arrowgirlie! I am wondering if you know of any programs in the states that are a bit easier to get into? I don't have the highest GPA (3.4 in my last two years), although I have a lot of volunteer and research experience, as well as personal experience (I have bilateral CIs). I would like to apply to American schools next year, if I don't get in this year. :)