Heard from Georgia Tech?

A Y

Hi, guys.

I've been waiting for ages for GT to make a decision on my application. I've seen some posts around from people applying to various programs, and they seem to be waiting too. The Results Search shows that GT sent a lot of decisions for other depts (most notably CE and CS), but it seems they're keeping everyone else waiting.

I'm prepared to make a decision in case no news arrives, but getting into GT will be a gamechanger for me. Checking my admissions status every time I go online obviously doesn't help either.

Is anyone else in the same situation? Will you guys e-mail your respective departments or wait it out? (I'm afraid to e-mail because the ISyE department highly discourages doing so. In all caps.)

Yeah it seems like GT is taking its (and ours) time to make the decision. I applied to Public Policy program and haven't heard anything back. :P

I, too, am waiting for the decision from ISyE.  My application status changed from "Pending Dept Decision" to "Decision Complete" last week (thank goodness for that, at least), but no letter yet.  Boy, do I wish they would send out unofficial email notifications rather than waiting for snail mail.

I agree that they are pretty clear that they do not want any contact, so I am with you on that, but it is hard not to pick up the phone and just ask what their decision is. 

So, you can rest assured that there is at least ONE other person here who is anxiously, biting her fingernails and checking for any updates several times a day.  Yeah, yeah, I know it isn't a healthy state of mind, but I simply can't help it.

When did you submit your application (mine was in the beginning of January) and what is your application status?

I, too, am waiting for the decision from ISyE.  My application status changed from "Pending Dept Decision" to "Decision Complete" last week (thank goodness for that, at least), but no letter yet.  Boy, do I wish they would send out unofficial email notifications rather than waiting for snail mail.

I agree that they are pretty clear that they do not want any contact, so I am with you on that, but it is hard not to pick up the phone and just ask what their decision is. 

So, you can rest assured that there is at least ONE other person here who is anxiously, biting her fingernails and checking for any updates several times a day.  Yeah, yeah, I know it isn't a healthy state of mind, but I simply can't help it.

When did you submit your application (mine was in the beginning of January) and what is your application status?

Hi,

I submitted my application on January 28/29. My application status hasn't changed --- okay, scratch that. I checked Buzzport before typing this down,  but I decided to login to the Application Status checker just now. Decision Complete! So I guess we're in the same boat now. Thing is, I live overseas, and the postal service here sucks. I don't expect the letter to come anytime soon.

I actually ended up e-mailing the department around two days ago. I don't know if that had any impact on the decision. I did explain my situation though, and I phrased it in such a way that I wasn't asking for the exact decision, but rather an estimate as to when I can find out given that other deadlines are nearing. I don't want to confirm elsewhere only to receive mail a few days later saying that I got into GT. No reply from them yet.

If you get accepted, will you surely choose GT over others?

It will depend on funding.  Since I'm not even confident I will get into GT, I'm even less confident that I will receive funding, but I'm still hoping <fingers-crossed>.  I was offered funding at another school which is tempting, but their program isn't as good.  I have also applied for a scholarship.  If I get the scholarship, then I could go to GT without funding, but I don't know when I'll hear back on the scholarship.  I may need to make a decision before that time. 

Yes, this postal mail admission letter is kind of a problem.  I live in a very small town, so there is typically a short delay on mail, but nothing like what you have to wait for.  Someone on another thread was saying that they got their decision online by clicking on the "Grad Decision" tab.  I don't see anything on Buzzport, though.  Their decision was a denial, so perhaps they put denials online, but that's probably just my wishful thinking.

ECE department has its own site for checking decisions, mine still says that the application is under review but given I never got a call for interviews, I am not holding my breath anymore.

That's nice that they provide that, at least.  I tell myself not to keep checking, but I can't seem to help it.  Especially since I need to have one of my schools decided by the end of next week, and that's after I already asked for an extension.  I didn't get any interviews for any schools.  But from what I'm hearing, interviews aren't very common for MS OR.  So, hopefully that's not a horrible sign :)

It will depend on funding.  Since I'm not even confident I will get into GT, I'm even less confident that I will receive funding, but I'm still hoping <fingers-crossed>.  I was offered funding at another school which is tempting, but their program isn't as good.  I have also applied for a scholarship.  If I get the scholarship, then I could go to GT without funding, but I don't know when I'll hear back on the scholarship.  I may need to make a decision before that time. 

Yes, this postal mail admission letter is kind of a problem.  I live in a very small town, so there is typically a short delay on mail, but nothing like what you have to wait for.  Someone on another thread was saying that they got their decision online by clicking on the "Grad Decision" tab.  I don't see anything on Buzzport, though.  Their decision was a denial, so perhaps they put denials online, but that's probably just my wishful thinking.

I'm not that confident I'll get in either, but I'll never rest easy until I find out.

Yeah, I don't have that tab yet either. I might give them a few days before calling the office directly. A friend did that last year, around a week before his deadlines, and got an answer.

Well, either way, you got into some really good schools, you will have a tough decision to make.  My acceptance schools (intentionally keeping it vague) are ok, but their programs definitely aren't as strong as the ones I'm still waiting on.

I got the letter and I GOT IN!!!!  No funding which is certainly a little sad, but I kind of expected that since I was only applying for a masters right now and will return later for a PhD (I have young children so it's hard to make a long term commitment, I like shorter commitments in which I can change my mind later).  I "think" I'll be getting an outside grant so costs shouldn't be an issue, but it's a little nerve-wracking to make that assumption based on an unofficial phone call saying that I will be getting it.  A few other people are getting this grant too, so I have to wait until all decisions are made before I can get the official letter.

Oh my goodness, I am so excited I'm shaking.  I'm sorry, I know it's hard to hear this when you are still waiting, believe me, I know.  But like I mentioned before, my acceptances up to this point were only mediocre, so at least you can still rest assured that you will be going to a good program somewhere, whereas I wasn't sure about that until today.

For timing sake, I'll tell you that, within the US, it took 8 days from the time that my status said "Decision Complete" to the time that I got the letter in the mail. 

So let me ask you... If you were told unofficially that you were getting a grant, would you turn down funding at another school and accept your first choice school without funding?

Edited by Fingers-Crossed

I got the letter and I GOT IN!!!!  No funding which is certainly a little sad, but I kind of expected that since I was only applying for a masters right now and will return later for a PhD (I have young children so it's hard to make a long term commitment, I like shorter commitments in which I can change my mind later).  I "think" I'll be getting an outside grant so costs shouldn't be an issue, but it's a little nerve-wracking to make that assumption based on an unofficial phone call saying that I will be getting it.  A few other people are getting this grant too, so I have to wait until all decisions are made before I can get the official letter.

Oh my goodness, I am so excited I'm shaking.  I'm sorry, I know it's hard to hear this when you are still waiting, believe me, I know.  But like I mentioned before, my acceptances up to this point were only mediocre, so at least you can still rest assured that you will be going to a good program somewhere, whereas I wasn't sure about that until today.

For timing sake, I'll tell you that, within the US, it took 8 days from the time that my status said "Decision Complete" to the time that I got the letter in the mail. 

So let me ask you... If you were told unofficially that you were getting a grant, would you turn down funding at another school and accept your first choice school without funding?

CONGRATULATIONS! It's alright. At this rate, I'll just call them up on Monday anyway. If it took 8 days for you, I wouldn't be surprised if it took at least 20 days to get here...

My gut feel answer to your question would be yes. Besides, you were ecstatic about your GT admission. So does attending GT over your other options mean more than the risk of not getting the grant? If I was in your situation, I'd take GT without a doubt. Other funding opportunities might show themselves along the way, but choosing the university is a one-time thing.

Good, that's pretty much how I was feeling.  Yes, money would be an issue if the grant falls through, but I would be able to take out loans as a VERY worst case scenario.  But, I would definitely try to come up with another way to get funding before I resort to that.  Plus, Atlanta is a great area for work in my field, so I could also work.  Plus, in that case I would definitely be staying for a PhD (assuming I'm re-accepted, but that shouldn't be a problem) and then I should be able to get funding by then.

I'm glad you feel the same as I do about taking the risk of accepting a choice school unsure about financing it.  You are right, this was a really big deal for me.  I've been telling everyone how much I want to go to school there for a couple years.  My employer was one of their industry partners, so I got to see a lot of the research they were working on and it is right where I want to be.

Thanks, I'll be thinking of you on Monday with fingers crossed

I just got an email saying my decision will available after COB today.  Of course, I'm refreshing the page every 15 minutes...

My undergrad grades (2001-2005) were not quite up to par but I'm hoping that my experience and recent grades helped me out....I'll update this post or put up a new one when I find out...

Don't worry, I'm not taking anyone's spot this coming year.  Good luck to the rest of you....

FYI, when you get the email saying that you can check your decision at the end of the day, it won't be till at least 8pm

Edited by msven

Thanks, I'll be thinking of you on Monday with fingers crossed

Well, I decided not to call anymore. I talked this over with my family and we decided that we wouldn't wait for it. I also realized that I was just going through a skepticism phase about my original decision since the whole grad school thing is such a life-changing decision.

Thank you though! Perhaps we'll bump into each other during OR conferences and stuff, if any.

Don't worry, I'm not taking anyone's spot this coming year.  Good luck to the rest of you....

FYI, when you get the email saying that you can check your decision at the end of the day, it won't be till at least 8pm

Ouch, that is a long wait, I'm sure I'd have been checking my status every 15 mins too.  Sorry to hear that you didn't get in...

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use