Jump to content

Fellowships, Grants, etc. for grad student taking the year off


Recommended Posts



I will graduate in May with a Master's degree in history. I'm taking a full academic year off to focus on turning my dissertation into a book. 


I'm wondering if there are fellowships, grants, etc. that are available for someone in my position. Usually these are given to "current students" who are pursuing a degree. However, I also know that there are independent historians who secure funding to finish their work. 


Any thoughts or suggestions?



Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm pretty sure that you'd have to be currently affiliated with a university or other research institution (like a museum) to receive research fellowships or grants. If you were doing this work as a PhD student, you could probably apply for external funding from any number of various funding agencies, but I doubt that there are funding agencies which will give money to someone who's taking a year off.


That's my take on it, though. I'm in the life sciences, and have never heard of this type of thing happening before. Most biologists I know who take a year off to write books are tenured faculty members on sabbatical. I don't know how things work in history/political science.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.