the student-advisor relationship in MPH programs

mlle

I am coming from an MA program where masters students work pretty closely with their advisors, including being involved in their research, and it's important that their interests match, etc. (like most graduate programs). Given that professional programs have a different emphasis than the "traditional" academic programs, does the importance of the advisor-student relationship still hold in an MPH program? How closely do MPH students work with their advisors compared to a non-professional program? I probably should know this by now, since I've gotten to the point where I've already applied to schools, gotten admitted, and am making decisions about where to go, but as usual I'm pretty clueless.

I am in an MPH program where we take comprehensive exams (only MSPH students write theses), so in terms of research, advisors are not expected to guide you as they would a PhD student. Because there are no expectations placed on the advisors, or formal processes like thesis-writing to frame a closer relationship, it depends on the advisor. It helps a lot if you take their classes and/or if they are willing to guide you in independent study. If they have research assistantship opportunities where you can help them with their research, even better. My advisor happens to teach a lot and be very welcoming and open. Still, she advises many other students... I don't know of any advisor in my program who is going to come after you to check-in and see if they can support you with research--its up to the students to develop this relationship!

Also, because of the very little obligation that advisors have to students in my program, we are very free to seek out more helpful professors without really needing to make a formal change in advisors.

Perhaps other MPH folks who have to write a thesis have different experiences... :)

I am enrolling next year and the impression I get at most schools is that the advisor will help with course selection and administrative issues, but if you want to forge a close relationship, at the poster above said, it's up to you. At some schools I see that just a handful of people act as advisors for the entire school, so it would make more sense to seek out regular professors as your mentors.

I am enrolling next year and the impression I get at most schools is that the advisor will help with course selection and administrative issues, but if you want to forge a close relationship, at the poster above said, it's up to you. At some schools I see that just a handful of people act as advisors for the entire school, so it would make more sense to seek out regular professors as your mentors.

Bingo. This was my experience at BU as an MPH student. Then again, my adviser was also my professor and my RA supervisor, so I would hope that I'd have a good relationship with her 8)