Jump to content

Deferring and Applying Elsewhere 2


Recommended Posts


I got admitted to my second choice school (let's say, it's SIPA) with fellowship funding for 2013. Based on a number of reasons, including family and finances, I have decided to defer the offer for a year. During this year, I plan to apply other (more prestigious) schools in hopes of getting a degree from a well-known school (internationally, particularly in my home country) and more funding. I understand I will lose the deposit for both accptance and deferral, if, at the end, I choose not to attend.

Nowadays, my questions are:

1. May I apply to other programs while holding deferred acceptance?

2. Considering I decide after all to go to this school, will the fellowship funding offer carry on or do I lose it because of deferral?

Please advise.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1. "May you"? Technically yes, I'm sure there's nothing stopping you. Just be careful-- if word gets back to the original school that you're applying elsewhere, it may hurt your reputation, even if you end up still deciding to attend there. 2. That's a question for the program, and one you should absolutely feel comfortable asking, as it's a legitimate inquiry. There's no way for anyone else to really answer that, as there are many factors affecting funding and different sources for it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.