Applying to PhD, what to discuss with grad school professor?

Guest criminologist

Guest criminologist

I am in a Masters program right now and I let my professor know that I was interested in applying to phd programs soon. They said that they could help me if I needed anything. I was wondering what are some things I could ask for help or discuss with them that would be appropriate? i have thought about asking for a recommendation letter, anything else or questions that would be appropriate? They are in the field I am applying for as well. Thanks

Definitely ask for the recommendation letter if you think that your professor would be able to write you a strong one.

If you have ideas for the types of projects you would like to do for your PhD studies, you can ask your professors if they know of any particular professors/programs at other schools that would be a good fit for your interests.

You can also discuss your future career goals with your professors and see if they have any suggestions for programs that are well-known for placing their graduates in jobs like that.

I also made sure to ask my former advisor if there were any labs that I should definitely avoid for one reason or another. I was pretty close with my advisor, though, so I felt comfortable asking that (and she was happy to answer me... thankfully, there were very few people that she specifically did not recommend).

Chances are that if you just start talking about your ideas and goals, your professors will give you advice without you even having to ask for it. :)

Edited by zabius

Everything zabius said. I'd also ask if you advisor is willing to proof read your personal statement when the time comes. My boss proofread mine, and it helped a lot. Reading it also helped her when she wrote my letters of recommendation.