GRE, is taking only one part of it (eg. Quantitative) still an option?

11Q13

I did this little trick on the old GRE. I scored high on the quantitative and the essays, but my verbal score wasn't high enough. My overall score got me in to a Master's program, but a couple years later when it was PhD time I went back and just retook the verbal section and got a much higher score. I still had to pay twice, but on the second exam, on all the sections I didn't take, it just said NS for no score. So on my official report it shows the scores on my first exam (both the high Q and essay and the low V) but below shows my second exam with the much higher score in the verbal area.

I'm in a pickle now. The second exam scores don't expire for several years, but the scores from my first exam will expire this year. Both of these tests are on the old version of the GRE. Does anyone know if this trick works on the new GRE and if I would be able to use my high verbal score that's not expiring (from the old version of the GRE) with a score in the other areas from the new GRE?

...am I making any sense?

Depending on the school, they might take your highest Q score from one test date and your highest V score from another test date, in which case your little "trick" might work.  Other schools take your best overall test date, in which case your trick wouldn't work.

I personally think a NS looks VERY bad, like you're trying to work the system (I debated doing something similar by skipping the AW section to leave more energy for the other sections, but decided against it).  Just take the test and do your best on all sections...

Everywhere I applied said that they look at the most recent test scores, not the best score for each section- universities are catching in to our strategies, sadly. I would just take it in full as best as you can.

Edited by kcald716

My question isn't about how universities will look at it, I'm basically accepted already to the PhD program, I just have to give them scores that aren't expired. My question is just about the functionality of the new GRE, if this trick still "works" I guess.