Loosing Hope, Is anyone else in the same boat?

Well, this has been a rough few weeks. I keep getting rejection and after rejection. After applying to 9 schools, I so far have been rejected to 7 and am waiting to hear back from the last 2. I have a lower GPA, (3.25), but I thought my extra curriculars would offset my GPA. I have a few C's on my transcript, but have knowledge of the field with my volunteering/extra clinical work/TSS work. Is anyone else in the same position I am? I seriously don't know what else to do..... Does anyone know of other situations like this who got into speech pathology graduate programs?

Edited by danielleb0823

Well, this has been a rough few weeks. I keep getting rejection and after rejection. After applying to 9 schools, I so far have been rejected to 7 and am waiting to hear back from the last 2. I have a lower GPA, (3.25), but I thought my extra curriculars would offset my GPA. I have a few C's on my transcript, but have knowledge of the field with my volunteering/extra clinical work/TSS work. Is anyone else in the same position I am? I seriously don't know what else to do..... Does anyone know of other situations like this who got into speech pathology graduate programs?

I understand where you're coming from. I applied to only 4 schools this year after completing my 2nd bacc in Comm. Sci & Disorders last year. In 2010 I must've applied for 7 or 8 schools after completing the pre-reqs for being out of field. Yea that was just a big waste of money but surprisingly I was waitlisted for two schools. Then in 2011 I took a GRE prep course and slightly improved my scores with the new GRE. So here I am now...5 years after I started trying to get into this field, having spent thousands of dollars, improved my scores, GPA, job experience, letters of recommendation, and completed the degree. I've been waitlisted to two schools, rejected from one, and awaiting one more decision. I'm also going to be 28 this year...was really hoping to finish my master's before age 30 (personal goal of mine). So yea am I frustrated (you bet), do I wanna cry (yes but haven't yet), feeling hopeless (of course). I'd like to think I could become an SLP-A if things don't work out this time around but it is not that easy...I've looked into it. So yea I'm about ready to throw in the towel and apply for a different program next time around. I dunno what else to do!?

JD,

I hear you. This has caused so many anxiety attacks on me!!! All I see is 4.0s on here. I always comprehended the material, but would "break down" during test time. Also, SLP-As arent used much in PA, which is where Im from. Ive tried applying to some "Reach Schools" but one director told me it was the most they've ever received for Fall Admissions. 

danielleb, have you figured out why you "break down" when it comes to tests?  Is it the pressure?  The anxiety? etc.

I ask not to be snarky, but to understand.  From a clinical perspective, SLPs are placed in high-pressure, anxiety ridden situations all the time. SLPs have pressure from clients, clients' families, supervisors, doctors, etc.  Unfortunately, comprehension of content isn't enough.  You need to be able to show, teach, and defend your knowledge, skills, and practices to all the people I listed.  Especially, in a litigious society where threats of malpractice and lawsuit are abundant.

If a doctor questions and argues against the need for an eval or course of therapy you order, it is your job to advocate for the patients.  Having a "break down" at that moment would not be helpful to you or the patient.  

I realize that academic testing and being able to demonstrate knowledge in the field are two different ideas.  However, admission committees could look at low test scores as not being able to handle high-pressure situations. 

Figuring out why you "break down" during tests to the point where you aren't able to fully show your knowledge may be a key to unlocking part of this idea.

Lexical,

I appreciate your message. I guess the term "break down" is a bit exaggerated, but I do have a few C's on my transcripts. I am  very familiar with the field and working as a team. I observed and have done 90+ observation hours with an SLP who has 65 cases and IEPs. Its intense, but rewarding. I am aware that their is big issues right now on evidence based practice, and many phone calls. Ive also been working as a TSS with two clients. Each day is different, and I have gained so much confidence from it. I just need advise for applying again. This is more difficult than I thought.

I got into a program with a 3.28 and very little in-field experience. It's possible but with a low GPA, I think other things have to REALLY stand out. GRE scores can't be mediocre and your LORs and SOPs have to be amazing. I can't really give too much advice since I think I just got lucky but there have been people who were accepted with low GPAs.

I got into a program with a 3.28 and very little in-field experience. It's possible but with a low GPA, I think other things have to REALLY stand out. GRE scores can't be mediocre and your LORs and SOPs have to be amazing. I can't really give too much advice since I think I just got lucky but there have been people who were accepted with low GPAs.

Mystique, Can I ask you what your GRE was and how you studied/how long for it?

I think that's what is not getting me in. My GRE scores :/

I was told that if you meet/exceed the 50th %ile, or your combined scores exceed 300, you are a competitive applicant. However, that does vary from institution to institution. 

My score is 316 (159V & 157Q, 4.5AW), not too great (which is why getting advice from me is silly). I took it twice. The first time, I studied for 2-3 weeks, using Cliff Notes Math Review for Standardized Testing to refresh myself on math concepts and not really studying for verbal. I didn't understand how scoring worked and was devastated to get a 155V and 157Q. The second time, I studied for about two weeks and used the PowerPrep software and studied some vocab flash cards for a day or two. I only improved my verbal to 159, just a few points (but percentage-wise, it went from 50% to 80% I think, which is crazy). I should have devoted more time to studying but I HATE studying for standardized tests. It just seems so pointless!

SLPjmar is right, most schools do want you to just exceed 50% but I think with a low GPA, other aspects of your application have to be a bit more spectacular to balance it out.

I think what really got me accepted by NYU were my LORs and SOPs though. Also, I think schools see GPA and GRE scores as "potential". If one is bad (GPA/GREs) but the other is really good (GREs/GPA), then they're curious as to why. You could have switched majors or you're just a poor test-taker, that's fine. If both are not too great, schools are definitely a little more hesitant in accepting you because they think you wouldn't be able to handle their program so you just have to prove them wrong  :)

My score is 316 (159V & 157Q, 4.5AW), not too great (which is why getting advice from me is silly). I took it twice. The first time, I studied for 2-3 weeks, using Cliff Notes Math Review for Standardized Testing to refresh myself on math concepts and not really studying for verbal. I didn't understand how scoring worked and was devastated to get a 155V and 157Q. The second time, I studied for about two weeks and used the PowerPrep software and studied some vocab flash cards for a day or two. I only improved my verbal to 159, just a few points (but percentage-wise, it went from 50% to 80% I think, which is crazy). I should have devoted more time to studying but I HATE studying for standardized tests. It just seems so pointless!

SLPjmar is right, most schools do want you to just exceed 50% but I think with a low GPA, other aspects of your application have to be a bit more spectacular to balance it out.

I think what really got me accepted by NYU were my LORs and SOPs though. Also, I think schools see GPA and GRE scores as "potential". If one is bad (GPA/GREs) but the other is really good (GREs/GPA), then they're curious as to why. You could have switched majors or you're just a poor test-taker, that's fine. If both are not too great, schools are definitely a little more hesitant in accepting you because they think you wouldn't be able to handle their program so you just have to prove them wrong  :)

Wow thanks for your response - Yes my GPA in my 2nd bachelors in the field is a 3.9 but my GRE scores were Atrocious - combined 298. I studied for a month and half and still did very poorly. I think I will have to take a GRE class and re-apply for Spring. Also, it sort of sucks because my first degree GPA was very bad < 3.0 so I have a lot of work to do in the next few months. It just takes so much energy to apply and get new LOR's! I wonder if my writers will even bother to write the letters again.

Wow thanks for your response - Yes my GPA in my 2nd bachelors in the field is a 3.9 but my GRE scores were Atrocious - combined 298. I studied for a month and half and still did very poorly. I think I will have to take a GRE class and re-apply for Spring. Also, it sort of sucks because my first degree GPA was very bad < 3.0 so I have a lot of work to do in the next few months. It just takes so much energy to apply and get new LOR's! I wonder if my writers will even bother to write the letters again.

298 isn't THAT bad so I don't think it'll be difficult for you to bring it up. Your in-field bachelors GPA is phenomenal so I think focusing on just getting more experience and working closely with your letter writers would help because you can't do anything about your first bachelors GPA. I had a below 3.0 GPA for my first two years in college (and it is SO hard to come back from a low GPA!) but the best thing I ever did was get involved in research at an amazing lab that didn't judge me on my low GPA was or how sparse my resume was. The lab director, and now my advisor, was actually impressed with my major in French - something that everyone told me was useless! He wrote a fantastic letter for me that definitely contributed to my acceptance.

Good luck! I know you'll get an acceptance one day!

298 isn't THAT bad so I don't think it'll be difficult for you to bring it up. Your in-field bachelors GPA is phenomenal so I think focusing on just getting more experience and working closely with your letter writers would help because you can't do anything about your first bachelors GPA. I had a below 3.0 GPA for my first two years in college (and it is SO hard to come back from a low GPA!) but the best thing I ever did was get involved in research at an amazing lab that didn't judge me on my low GPA was or how sparse my resume was. The lab director, and now my advisor, was actually impressed with my major in French - something that everyone told me was useless! He wrote a fantastic letter for me that definitely contributed to my acceptance.

Good luck! I know you'll get an acceptance one day!

Thanks Mystique! Congrats on NYU - that's amazing!

How were your Statements of Purpose?  Post one of them here if you feel comfortable doing it.  I've noticed some glaring spelling errors (loosing), that could have literally spelled your doom if they found their way onto an application.  It seems that with your extensive volunteer experience, you should be at least be getting on some waitlists.  

I too am losing so much hope. I graduated with my bachelors degree in speech pathology and audiology last May. I had and an overall GPA of 3.57 and Speech GPA of 3.73. I have been working as a TSS for a year now and have a boat load of observation hours and clinical work. I applied to 10 schools. Rejected from six, wait listed to two and waiting for two more. My GRE scores were 152 v and 146 q and 3.5 a. I'm so depressed because I want it so bad. Do you guys have any ideas how I can strengthen my application if I have to apply next year.

I too am losing so much hope. I graduated with my bachelors degree in speech pathology and audiology last May. I had and an overall GPA of 3.57 and Speech GPA of 3.73. I have been working as a TSS for a year now and have a boat load of observation hours and clinical work. I applied to 10 schools. Rejected from six, wait listed to two and waiting for two more. My GRE scores were 152 v and 146 q and 3.5 a. I'm so depressed because I want it so bad. Do you guys have any ideas how I can strengthen my application if I have to apply next year.

SLPAJK, I think there's room for a lot of improvement with minimal effort in your GRE scores. If you can pull up your scores to the mid-high 150's (it seems like a couple of points in your score makes a big difference in percentile), I think you'll be in pretty good shape, considering that you were waitlisted at two schools this year with your current scores. You can elect to take a GRE prep class, but I would recommend just doing a lot of vocab flashcards and a lot of practice exams. I used the Barron book for the new GRE, and I thought it was really helpful, and I also found my scores on the practice exams in that book to be pretty predictive of my actual GRE score. One or two weeks of solid studying can help A LOT.  (I think theres another thread about the GRE, also)

You can also try to repeat some of the courses you didn't do as well in (if you got any c's in CSD classes), but that can become expensive really quickly.  :unsure:

Good luck to you, and don't give up! There's still hope at the last two schools you applied to!  ;)

To emelki I am really bad at standardized tests so I was happy with my scores however if I have to apply again I will definitely take them over. As far as taking classes over. I didn't get any C's in my speech classes just two B+'s so I don't wanna waste money and take those classes over. Just hoping for the best at this point.

• 3 weeks later...

I honestly looked at people's GPA, as well, and thought I'd never get into a grad school with a 3.65 (out of major, but 4.0 in pre-reqs).  I think if you have good letters of recc and a good personal statement with extra curriculars, that can offset the gpa.  I think, however, some schools use gpa merely as a "weed-out" process...meaning anyone below a 3.0 are autimatically rejected, regardless of all supplements to application.  But I do think you have a chance!!!  Many schools have very high expectations...especially in ny.

I'm in the same boat. I only applied to one university (Limited in options because I have a family of my own and we are grounded in a little town due to my SO's job) and I am still waiting to hear a decision. I figure it is not looking too good since people on the grad cafe admissions board are stating their acceptances to the school.

My GRE's were horrid! I basically just showed up to the exam. I didn't study at all which was a mistake. My GRE scores are 149v 142q 4.5w. My out of field gpa is low, 3.0 in neuroscience, but my post-bacc gpa is currently a 3.9. My LORs were from two professors (that I didn't know all that well), an SLP I volunteered with, and a director of a private school where I volunteer. My SOP probably could have used some work. I would love some ideas on how to improve the SOP for next year. Assuming I am not accepted to the program this year I will re apply to a total of 3 schools the next time around. The only problem is that I would have to commute an hour each day to get to the other two grad schools if I am accepted.

I will post my statment of purpose once I find it on my computer. Does anyone have any ideas for me to prepare for reapplying? Obviously, I intend to re take the GRE. Currently I volunteer with an SLP 3 days a week for 2 hours each day. Should I try to do more volunteer work? Additionally, I work at a daycare part time and volunteer with a provate school. What else can I do?

ballerina18, I would focus on raising the GRE score; not just the verbal and quantitative parts, but also the writing.  I think many underestimate how important the writing section is for this field.

As for the SOP, one of the professors with whom I spoke at my local university mentioned he likes to see how well the applicant writes.  Does the applicant construct a strong argument for himself/herself about why a master's in SLP is needed to reach professional goals, or is the argument a one-line sentence, "I want to be an SLP so I can help people."  While it may be true, why do you want to help them and specifically how will you do that?

Highlight your volunteer work and what you've learned through those experiences that will make you a good SLP.  If a specific child stands out, discuss the types of things the SLP does with that child (without violating confidentiality) that spoke to you.  If you are able to name specific approaches or assessments the SLP uses, even better!  If you can't give specific names, give detailed descriptions about what, how, and why.

I also tailored my SOP to each school I applied.  For one, I focused on how that school's instruction, training, and approach to therapy fit my educational philosophy.   For another, I focused on how that particular program's faculty fit my research interests for a potential thesis.  Know and be able to articulate in writing specifically what you plan to do with your degree post-graduation and how the training you will receive will help you achieve those goals.  Really sell yourself as a candidate for that specific school.  What can you learn or experience at School X that you can't get at Schools A, B, C.  

Remember: Just as you are making an investment in graduate school, schools are investing in your education and future career when they choose you as a student.  They want to send out the best professionals they can to potentially get some return on their investment in you: alumni donations, bragging rights about your professional credentials, sending future students to your practice for observations or student teaching, etc.

ballerina18: What you wrote feels very list-like, basically expanding on your resume.

My advice is (basically what I followed as a guideline for my own SOP):

- Stay away from 'flowery' words and being wordy, just state what you want to say so you can make more room for real content. Just keep it simple. Don't define too many things and don't be too obvious (You're speaking to academics and professional SLPs, I would assume they would know that everyone's goal is to obtain their CCCs and state licensure. The stuff about IBCLC is awesome though.).

- You should definitely go into why you're interested in oral-facial development more (personal experience, learned about the subject in a class, etc)

- Try making the paragraphs flow together, like a narrative. You're writing about your life - it's not meant to be chopped up into sections like you're being introduced in a beauty pageant.

That being said, I wouldn't emphasize the crocheting and other personal activities too much or mention them at all. You're trying to get into an SLP grad program so tailor your essay to show your enthusiasm/interest in SLP and as a student. Mention your academic experiences and focus on your SLP experiences (You mentioned volunteering with an SLP in a previous post but it's not even mentioned in your essay!). You "name-drop" a lot of places that have nothing to do with SLP and you're not going to grad school to organize ballet shows or crochet. I understand why you included them but grad schools generally don't care about these extracurriculars as much as undergrad adcoms. They want your passion and drive in the field and the ability to learn and gain experience in their classrooms.

Explain the difference between your GPA in undergrad and in post-bacc. Spin it in a way that shows that you can struggle and overcome difficulties, that you want and can do well in SLP classes.

The first paragraph is about your interest in SLP but the rest isn't and that's not good. I would reorganize the last paragraph (mention undergrad education in an earlier paragraph) and I would rewrite the 2 middle paragraphs completely. I would devote an entire paragraph to your time volunteering with an SLP and any personal experience working with a client. Some of the lines in your first paragraph are very "final" and could be part of the conclusion as well.

I sound overly critical and harsh but I really don't mean it to be and I'm very sorry :/ I am no expert and my SOPs might be completely terrible. But if someone read them, I would want them to be honest and point out any flaws so I could fix them. My GPA is 3.28 (without any pos-bacc classes to prove otherwise) so I know how hard it is to compete with all those 4.0 applicants and stand out. 

As your said, your undergrad GPA and GRE scores aren't great and those are so hard/expensive to fix. Your essay is completely controlled by you (for free!) so make it the best you can and show that your stats don't define you :) Good luck!!!

ballerina, I really think you should expand upon your Montessori volunteer experience since it's most relevant to SLP work.

Also, I see that the prompt specifically asks about your personal interests and hobbies, so it might be a good idea for you to flesh out your interest in ballet and scrap the other stuff, especially since you teach ballet, too, and are clearly passionate about it. While you wrote a great description about your crocheting and the lovely organization you volunteer for, that paragraph probably takes up too much valuable space in your SOP. It seems better to discuss ballet and the discipline, focus, and commitment it requires.

Finally, I don't know if it's the best idea to "request" an acceptance from a school. You may want to consider a different concluding sentence.

Good luck!

Thanks for your reply! I really appreciate your suggestions. I'd love to hear your thoughts on the SOP I wrote this year. Any ideas on how to improve the essay? I felt pretty awkward talking about hobbies in my SOP and didn't know what to write about.. that's why I talked about crochet =/

Hey Ballerina, here are a couple things that caught my eye when I  glanced at your SOP

1- I don't think you need to have  a separate paragraph for each question in the essay prompt. It might flow better & make more sense if you combine some of the ideas. 

2- Explain HOW your hobbies/volunteering inspired you or would make you a better clinician. Did crocheting preemie hats inspire you to work with infants with feeding problem? Did teaching dance give you experience working with small groups of kids? (I, too, have taught dance to the little ones, and I explained how that gave me experience teaching small groups, branching to diff activities to keep their attention, etc.)

3- I'd eliminate the sentences: "SLPs are trained to understand...", "The online ISU SLP master's program is my first choice", and the final sentence of your statement.

Also, make sure the school(s) you're applying to are suitable matches for your interests. They might read your app and think "Wow, this girl sounds amazing, but we can't give her any training in peds feeding." Look into the different elective classes and research opportunities at the schools, and mention those in your SOP. Also mention specific intern/externship opportunities that draw you to the school (if there's a children's hospital, or a hospital that specializes in high-risk/preemie births, etc.

When asked "Why our university?", I think the adcoms want to hear something in addition to the convenience.

Best of luck to you in your next round of applications! I know you'll make a terrific SLP:) 

This advice isn't specific to the SOP posted above, but it was a common theme in the SOPs of my friends who did not get accepted so I thought I'd share:

Another way to conceptualize the "Why I want to be an SLP" question is "Why I want to be an SLP instead of a doctor/dentist/teacher/teaching assistant/special ed teacher/social worker/counselor/occupational therapist/physical therapist/nurse/school psychologist/disability policy advocate/special housing coordinator/etc". Obviously, you don't want to mention these alternative career paths and explain why it's not for you. But when explaining why you want to be an SLP, you want to make sure that the career goals you are discussing are specific to speech-language pathology. So if you want to help preschoolers with communication disorders, you could also do that as an EI case manager, OT, PT, preschool teacher, etc. So you need to explain why the approach taken by an SLP is what you want, why the coursework of an SLP (as opposed to that of a PT) is what interests you. If you want to work in a NICU, why do you want to work as an SLP instead of a nurse? Much of the SLP coursework won't apply directly to a NICU, so the schools will want to make sure that you will be an active and engaged participant in all courses, not just those applying to a narrow field of interest.