GWU Elliott vs AU SIS

Hello all,

I've been looking on this site for awhile, and I really like the advice I've seen, so I decided to have a crack at it and see if somebody could help.

I applied to and was accepted at GW and AU, however, the decision is incredibly difficult for me. I know both schools are very good, but I'm not sure if, from what I've seen, one could get me further than the other.

A bit of background: I've taken Russian for the past 3 years, and I did an undergraduate thesis on U.S.-Russian Relations. Needless to say, I am quite interested in Eastern Europe and American Foreign Policy, with my ultimate goal being as a member of the US Foreign Service.

That being said, I would be going into GW's International Affairs Program, or AU's US Foreign Policy programs.

Sorry for being a tad long-winded there, but my questions are as follows:

Is one school necessarily better for my objective? They seem really close.

Are the opportunities at both relatively the same, or does one limit more?

And

I am not considering a PHD, I am really interested in professionalism, is there one school that is better for that?

I did not get funding, but I don't consider that an obstacle to my decision.

In all honesty, I don't believe that either choice would be catastrophic, but I can be a bit Obsessive Compulsive.

Any insight or help would be most appreciated.

Thank you,

-Chris

I'm not extremely well versed in how the programs compare related to your area of interest (US foreign policy) but based on what I know, you're right, it's a very close call. If I was you, I would do anything I could to attend the open houses next week and then make my decision based on that. But if that's not possible for you, then just email the professors/current students in those programs and possibly career services as well (and I'm sure you've already done something like that). To be honest, since you didn't get funding from either school, no matter what you choose it's going to be fine since they're both solid programs and both offer the same DC opportunities.

Hi!

I'm kind of in a similar position! However not regarding the Russian background. I got in both in AU's International Communication and GWU's Global Communication.

What I have heard from several people (Alumni and current students) GWU's location is a big plus! That's why I have crossed off AU from my list and I am now leaning towards GWU. (over MSFS, which I cant really afford without fellowship)

Maybe try calling some current students (I got an email from GWU with contacts)

Good Luck with your decision!

What I have heard from several people (Alumni and current students) GWU's location is a big plus! That's why I have crossed off AU from my list and I am now leaning towards GWU. (over MSFS, which I cant really afford without fellowship)

Huh? I don't really understand this - AU is in DC too and while GW is right in the middle of downtown and AU is a few metrostops away, I don't really understand why the location of GW is superior to AU's because the difference in location is absolutely minimal.

Huh? I don't really understand this - AU is in DC too and while GW is right in the middle of downtown and AU is a few metrostops away, I don't really understand why the location of GW is superior to AU's because the difference in location is absolutely minimal.

I think a lot of people say that the GW campus is in a better location because the AU campus is a bit further away from some of the action.  But whether that "bit" is a big difference depends on the person, I think.  When it comes to having a job during graduate school or attending on-campus events some people would rather choose GW for the convenience (obviously depending on where they live).

I'd really recommend trying to talk to current students at both.  These are the people who you'll be spending two years with and also the people who'll become your professional network.  That plus a campus visit should help with the decision.

GW's campus is basically right next door to the IMF and WB and other big institutions, which is a big plus if you're into that sort of stuff.

Since both schools are good and you think they might both be a good fit, I think the next step would be to take student accounts into perspective, as well as career services/job placement data, and financials. Did both schools offer you money? If not, GWU might be a good choice. I've heard really good things about their program and their is the option to take later classes so you can work during the day and offset costs, in fact it's encouraged. When D.C. was at the top of my list, even though I preferred SAIS, I was tempted to take the GWU offer because of all the good things I heard + finances + career services being awesome!

I think a lot of people say that the GW campus is in a better location because the AU campus is a bit further away from some of the action.  But whether that "bit" is a big difference depends on the person, I think.  When it comes to having a job during graduate school or attending on-campus events some people would rather choose GW for the convenience (obviously depending on where they live).

Yeah I see where you're coming from. But to be honest, having lived in DC for some years and knowing both schools, that difference in location does not matter AT all. You're extremely close to all the action at AU as well so there will be always other factors that are stronger than location when deciding between the two schools. Just my two cents.