What's the Deal?

Katm

So, I feel like my current situation is going to cause me a nervous break down. My top choice school where I've been corresponding with a professor (who I had met through another colleague) for two years, is currently considering me and another student (whom she just met). The other student interviewed last week, and she said she would get back to me this week. I'm feeling like its pretty unfair at this point, and a friend of mine who is her student told me the other person's interview went well.. My hopes are shot.

Anyway, the question I'd like to ask on this board is:

I called UNC to pretty much receive a rejection for my status (because a recommendation letter was sent late), but they told me I'm on the 'interest list' of a certain professor there (for marine science) who I had corresponded with previously, and they'll be making another round of decisions this week. Isn't it a little late for a good decision at this point? also, it says they still accept apps up until June 15. How is that even possible? I'm so confused. Any advice would be great at this point.

Thanks

So, I feel like my current situation is going to cause me a nervous break down. My top choice school where I've been corresponding with a professor (who I had met through another colleague) for two years, is currently considering me and another student (whom she just met). The other student interviewed last week, and she said she would get back to me this week. I'm feeling like its pretty unfair at this point, and a friend of mine who is her student told me the other person's interview went well.. My hopes are shot.

Why exactly is this unfair? Did you not get a chance to interview as well? If you've been in contact with your potential adviser for a while and the conversations have been going well, then I don't think you're at any serious disadvantage. However, if you never had any personal contact with her, while the other person had an in-person interview, then I think it'd be advisable (and fair and understandable) to at least ask for a phone interview.

I called UNC to pretty much receive a rejection for my status (because a recommendation letter was sent late), but they told me I'm on the 'interest list' of a certain professor there (for marine science) who I had corresponded with previously, and they'll be making another round of decisions this week. Isn't it a little late for a good decision at this point? also, it says they still accept apps up until June 15. How is that even possible? I'm so confused.

Seems like if they're receiving applications until 06/15 then this week is definitely not too late for good news. Some schools say that they continue accepting applications until all of the spots are filled. I guess it depends on how many good applicants apply in a given year. I'd say you have cause to be optimistic. Good luck!