Are distance and weather legitimate game-changers?

luke8ball

I've basically got two options: School (1) has the perfect program for obtaining the job I want, and I've been offered a full ride for it. Considering it's a master's program, that's hard to beat. Unfortunately, I know no one in the area (pretty far from home) and it's in a mountainous region (lots of snow). School (2) is much closer to my undergrad and friends, yet has offered no funding; nonetheless, the school is relatively prestigious.

How much does distance and weather matter to you? Do I sound ridiculous for even considering NOT going to the paid program?

It's a masters, so I'm assuming it's only ~2 years?  I'd say for that short of a time, weather and location should not be significant variables.  I would choose the program that will be the best for you professionally.  Weather and location should really only come into play when we're talking 5-6 years for a PhD and all else between programs is relatively equal.  However, this is only an opinion. 

For me, when I chose my PhD school, I put things like distance to family and good weather high on the priority list (which was why I applied to a lot of schools in California and on the west coast). In the end, I made my decision by weighing personal and academic reasons equally.

However, when choosing my MSc school, I was resigned to the fact that if I was staying in Canada, then all of the schools that I would consider were all on the eastern side, with snow and other unpleasant weather. In the end, that decision was made with the fact that it would only be a 2 year stint in mind, so I didn't worry as much about personal reasons.

My wife and I are considering that 2 years the last time we will move to an unpleasant place for work! We're here in a very nice place for the next 5 ish years and we promised ourselves that to balance out the upheaval of the moving-every-two-years life of a postdoc, we would only move to places that we like (either good weather or an interesting city)! So, from now on, distance and weather etc. are probably the number one priority for us -- we would rather leave academia than live in a crappy place.

It's a masters, so I'm assuming it's only ~2 years?  I'd say for that short of a time, weather and location should not be significant variables.  I would choose the program that will be the best for you professionally.  Weather and location should really only come into play when we're talking 5-6 years for a PhD and all else between programs is relatively equal.  However, this is only an opinion. 

This is a valid point! Thanks for the advice.

1. You'll make new friends. It's life. It's not like your old friends disappear just because you're farther part.

2. Always choose funding. Seriously, especially for a masters, it's not worth spending $100k when you could get it for free. 

1. You'll make new friends. It's life. It's not like your old friends disappear just because you're farther part.

2. Always choose funding. Seriously, especially for a masters, it's not worth spending $100k when you could get it for free. 

I agree with you 100%. I weighed out my own options and traveling cross country for a relatively free Master's degree just made sense as opposed to more 'local' schools that offered little to no funding for a more broad program. 

Agreeing with poster above, go with the funding.  I had a similar dilemma two years ago when I was choosing my MA program- one was close to home but zero funding, the other in an extreme northern climate, but full funding. I took the second option and never regretted it.  If it were a PhD I'd take distance/weather into further consideration, but you should never dismiss funding packages.

I think it depends on the individual student, but I would say that for a 2-year master's program location and weather should not be significant factors.  And even if they were, I don't think they should trump debt.  Even if you really hate the weather, you only have to deal with it for 2 years, whereas you will be dealing with that debt for at least 10 years.