Georgetown (Walsh SFS) - Strengths/Weaknesses

To which program did you apply at SFS?  

69 members have voted

1. 1. To which program did you apply at SFS?

• Master of Science in Foreign Service (MSFS)
    • Master of Arts in Security Studies (SSP)
    • Master of Arts in Arab Studies (MAAS)
    • Master of Arts in German & European Studies (MAGES)
    • Master of Arts in Latin American Studies (CLAS)
    • Master of Arts in Russian & East European Studies (REES)
    • Global Executive MBA

The USPS failed today. My SFS decision should have arrived today (NYC) and (perhaps? I dunno when they went out) my SAIS admissions package. Boo. Just watch, I will post this, and, within the next 5 minutes, the mail will show up.

-----

No news. When is the admitted students day? I will be in DC for the SIS admitted students day (4/13) and the SAIS admitted students day (4/15) and I hope very much that SFS's day is around that time.

I imagine MSFS has quite a few cross-admits with WWS, HKS, SAIS, SIPA, and Fletcher. Those schools, especially ones offering better funding, can definitely pull away students.

There's a 98% chance I'll be declining my MSFS offer.

I think you should definitely write an eloquent letter CEDING your position to me. Totally worth a shot, no? Sigh.

I think you should definitely write an eloquent letter CEDING your position to me. Totally worth a shot, no? Sigh.

Watch out - there are a few others on these boards with WL spots, too, and we'll fight you for it ;) I, for one, have already tried offering a few acceptance-swaps, if only admissions committees would respect message board deals...

don't lose hope. I am torn, but I might have to decline MSFS. I am a joint degree applicant, and although MSFS offered me 18K merit scholarship, the other GT program offered me nothing. Meanwhile, other schools have offered me fellowships in both degrees. Anyone else a joint degree candidate for MSFS? I would love to hear your thoughts.

Is anyone else annoyed that Georgetown wants a deposit in by April 15th? First of all they were the last one to notify, They still haven't released financial aid info, and that is one day after Fletcher's open house and the same day of Columbia's open house, making it impossible to consider other schools. I think its time for for a forceful email to the admissions office.

Is anyone else annoyed that Georgetown wants a deposit in by April 15th? First of all they were the last one to notify, They still haven't released financial aid info, and that is one day after Fletcher's open house and the same day of Columbia's open house, making it impossible to consider other schools. I think its time for for a forceful email to the admissions office.

Where did you see that we have to reply but April 15th? It seems unrealistic, especially since the Open Day is only on the 16th.

MSFS admitted students have to reply by April 20 which is the Enrollment Confirmation Deadline for Scholarship Recipients, 5/1 is the Deadline for Enrollment Confirmation, all this according to the MSFS admitted students website admissons timeline.

Maybe April 15 is for SSP and MSFS has different deadlines.

MSFS admitted students have to reply by April 20 which is the Enrollment Confirmation Deadline for Scholarship Recipients, 5/1 is the Deadline for Enrollment Confirmation, all this according to the MSFS admitted students website admissons timeline.

Maybe April 15 is for SSP and MSFS has different deadlines.

oh yeah, good point. they probably do have different deadlines then. :)

well, i'll probably go to SAIS anyway, so hope that helps someone on the waitlist.

I just got the same letter (yes ,for SSP) and had the exact same reaction. I plan to send Tiffany a note about it tomorrow, since if other SFS programs have later deadlines it's clear that April 15 is not a mandate from higher up. I think it's ridiculous.

• 4 weeks later...

Just a quick question (maybe not so quick): Is getting a Masters in a Regional Study at SFS only useful for doing foreign service or can it reach out into other private fields?

Also, is getting a Masters in any IR or regional studies like the ones offered in Georgetown likely to just place you in the foreign service/intelligence agency in a bureaucratic level? I was hoping to translate the degree onto perhaps legislative experience(ie: working on a committee) or creating policy drafts..etc.

Is that possible?

Your thoughts please!

Thanks!

Just a quick question (maybe not so quick): Is getting a Masters in a Regional Study at SFS only useful for doing foreign service or can it reach out into other private fields?

If with "private field" you are referring to the private sector, than I would say no. However, it all depends on your previous education and work experience.

Also, is getting a Masters in any IR or regional studies like the ones offered in Georgetown likely to just place you in the foreign service/intelligence agency in a bureaucratic level? I was hoping to translate the degree onto perhaps legislative experience(ie: working on a committee) or creating policy drafts..etc.

Is that possible?

Your thoughts please!

Thanks!

I was at the open day last week and have studied the (MSFS) programme extensively. There is definitely a larger percentage of national and international students that go into the Foreign Service than at most other IR/policy schools. But there is also a fair amount of people who go into other public sector jobs and some 20% (I think) opt for the private sector.

• 3 weeks later...

Just got accepted into MSFS off the waitlist...trying to decide between it and Elliott now (which i already sent a deposit for). Anyone have any insight/input on why MSFS is a better program? or why you chose MSFS over another program? Also, anyone know anything about their study abroad program...couldn't find much information online.