Graduation & Starting a New Program- Question

PsychGirl1

I'm currently in a MS program. I'm wrapping up this spring and starting a PhD program in the fall.

My thesis is fairly complex, and I'm struggling to finish it by the end of spring term (June 15th). If I want an extra week or two, I'm able to continue working into the summer term (many people do it), but even if I defend my thesis at the end of June, I won't officially "graduate" until September 7th. However, my new program starts classes August 19th.

Does anyone know if this would create a problem or not? I haven't contacted my new program yet because I'm not sure if I'll need the extra time yet or not.

Thanks!

Hi, 

I'm worried about a similar issue. Have you asked faculty in your current masters program if this has ever happened before? 

I've heard it doesn't matter, but you may have to re-do your thesis or an equivalent project. 

I'm fairly certain that they will not care when your graduation is, typically what is important is that you actually graduate (it should be easy enough to prove that you intend to graduate, no?). My MA grad isn't until October, and no one has asked me anything about it, but then again having a MA was irrelevant to my acceptance. As I understand it, it's up to the school to decide whether or not you need to complete another master's in your PhD program (some don't even have an MA component).

Thanks for the responses!

I already know that I have to do a second MS as part of my PhD program- they don't make any exceptions or take any credits or your thesis (one of the few schools that is so strict about it!). That's my gut, too- that if they aren't taking my credits or my thesis, and my acceptance isn't contingent upon me graduating, that it shouldn't be any problem if I'm technically enrolled in them both at the same time for a few weeks.

My advisor did ask me if they knew I might not graduate til August but I was like "oh, I can't imagine that being a big deal" until i went home and thought about it :-D. Many people do take the summer to graduate, but I'm not sure if anyone has had this exact same issue, since my PhD program starts relatively early. I can try to ask around. Anyone on here have any experience with this?

Yeah, I'll call and ask if it becomes more likely I'll have to do this, but I just want to figure out if it's an option as of now. (I don't want to call and have it turn into a thing, since I'm in a pretty small program). It just seems like something that should happen fairly often- people going from MA/MS/MPH programs right into a PhD program.

At the graduate level most places don't give a crap about when you convocate, completing the degree requirements is what's important.

have you considered calling and asking? that's the best way to get the exact answer for your school. otherwise, i feel like all we can do is speculate. 

This.

I honestly feel like your commencement date is irrelevant, all that would conceivably matter is that you finish the work. At my current institution we have fall and summer commencement. Friends of mine defended their PhDs in December, and then started working as post-docs in January despite their commencement not being until June. The work was done, and their transcripts reflected having the intention to graduate, and having completed all of the requirements.

Not quite the same, but I started an adjunct teaching job (which required a master's) before my degree was actually conferred. They just had me send an unofficial transcript and told me to send an official one when the degree was conferred. Come to think of it, I don't think I ever did send them the transcript with the actual degree on it, and I'm still employed. Basically, I think as long as the requirements are done, then it really doesn't matter.

Well I caved and talked to the program I'm starting at, and they told me I have to graduate in June. They told me that when I start in August, I have to provide a transcript showing that I graduated from my program.

... And back to working on my thesis now. Sigh.