Should I let a school know before April 15 that there is a chance I might not be able to accept their offer?

Janie M.

Should I let a school know before the April 15th deadline that there is a possibility that I MAY not be able to attend, due mainly to financial reasons, or would this just be stupid and self-destructive? I feel bad letting them know on Monday, but I have not totally decided yet. If April 15 just didn't happen to fall on a Sunday...

I'm worried that if I didn't let them know I wasn't going until Monday that they wouldn't be able to secure someone else from the waiting list at this point (since I'm sure people on the list also applied to other schools, which they too would need to respond to by the 15th). I know it might sound weird that I'm so worried about this, but the school has bent over backwards for me throught the admissions process and I feel like I should let them know about the possibility beforehand.

What do people think? Is it completely unnecessary that I even broach this topic beforehand? What are other people in similar situtations doing?

If April 15 just didn't happen to fall on a Sunday...

Fortunately, it's 2013, so April 15 is on a Monday. That should hopefully provide you some relief...

I'm worried that if I didn't let them know I wasn't going until Monday that they wouldn't be able to secure someone else from the waiting list at this point (since I'm sure people on the list also applied to other schools, which they too would need to respond to by the 15th). 

You (and all of the rest of us) have been granted a deadline of April 15, so there is nothing wrong with using the maximum time you are permitted,  I understand your sentiment about the wait-listed students, and if you were absolutely sure you won't be attending, then there is really no reason to delay letting them know, but it sounds like you are still working it out, and you are allowed to do so all the way through the weekend and until next Monday.  Take the time that you need while you have it; there are enough situations in life where you don't have the luxury of being allowed a few more days

Alkalifly,

Oops! I keep thinking of this Sunday as the 15th because the school that I am talking about requires that students submit a deposit (as an intent to enroll) by Sunday at midnight. So, I personally only have until Sunday through that time.

I guess you are right and that I shouldn't feel so guilty. I just hate inconveniencing people. However, since these last crucial days fall on a weekend, maybe admissions staff will be taking some of their work home with them, just in case? Thanks for the advice; it definitely made me feel better.

Don't feel bad because yesterday I was so overwhelmed with all this and my flip flop of a work/sleep schedule that I thought yesterday was wednesday and missed an assignement date. I think we seniors and/or graduates that are pursuing these applications can become a bit warped in our perception of time. However, it must be said that options are always a good thing.

Make it good!

Trembling and jittering as usual,

the (Caffeine :rolleyes:) Junkie

Don't feel guilty, the people at the school may not do anything before Monday anyway, and you shouldn't inconvenience yourself just to (possibly) avoid inconveniencing other people that you don't even know.

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use